Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Hornady is being obstinate about not loading the 300WSM, at least. It is the best-selling cartridge introduction in a long time, and will continue to become the "standard" American magnum cartridge as time goes by. They are simply losing out on the opportunity to make some money, royalties due or not. That's called being stubborn, not smart.

No,the above is called delusional.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rcbs_2012_rifle_die_sales.htm

The 300 WSM has been on the market for only 14-15 years. It has outsold the 270 by a wide margin in its 1st 14 years. In fact the 270 was darn near dropped after 20 years of production because it was so little used. Don't give up on a round too soon. I think that in another generation the 300 WSM will surpass the 300WM in popularity just as the 300 WM surpassed the 300 H&H. And for the same reasons.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JMR40

Hornady is being obstinate about not loading the 300WSM, at least. It is the best-selling cartridge introduction in a long time, and will continue to become the "standard" American magnum cartridge as time goes by. They are simply losing out on the opportunity to make some money, royalties due or not. That's called being stubborn, not smart.

No,the above is called delusional.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rcbs_2012_rifle_die_sales.htm

The 300 WSM has been on the market for only 14-15 years. It has outsold the 270 by a wide margin in its 1st 14 years. In fact the 270 was darn near dropped after 20 years of production because it was so little used. Don't give up on a round too soon. I think that in another generation the 300 WSM will surpass the 300WM in popularity just as the 300 WM surpassed the 300 H&H. And for the same reasons.

Which "270" are you talking about?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by toad
no, parasites suing big companys and winning happens all the time. the cost just gets passed on to you and me.

'good for them' right?

So your gripe is that Jameson didn't act with the best interests of the shooting world as a whole (i.e. cheaper products for everyone) when he filed suit????

Make no mistake about it, big corporations will steamroll the little guy any time they get the chance. Looks like that is what they tried to do here. Good for Jameson having the stones to take them on, IMO.

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll also find that some cartridges have an almost "cult" following.

Glad you're recuperating...and back in action. wink

I would not have put the word almost in that statement.

8mmwapiti grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
no, parasites suing big companys and winning happens all the time. the cost just gets passed on to you and me.

'good for them' right?

So your gripe is that Jameson didn't act with the best interests of the shooting world as a whole (i.e. cheaper products for everyone) when he filed suit????

Make no mistake about it, big corporations will steamroll the little guy any time they get the chance. Looks like that is what they tried to do here. Good for Jameson having the stones to take them on, IMO.

one more time

[Linked Image]

This photo is of a 7mm Wade Super Seven on the left, 7 WSM in the middle and .300 WSM on the right. The 7mm Wade Super Seven is listed on page 396 of P. O. Ackley's volume 1 of Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders. this book was copyrighted in 1962.

so, is the middle cartridge a 'new cartridge' worthy of a patent, or is it just a copy of the cartridge on the left with 'minor changes'? I see minor changes from Wade's earlier cartridge, which, in turn, would mean Jamison is doing to Wade exactly what Olin is accused of doing to Jamison. 'good for him' right?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've also read some of the court docs and have come to the conclusion that Jamison and Winchester/Olin did indeed have an expressed/implied contract that Winchester/Olin would not sell any "JRW" like cartridges until an agreement was signed with Jamison.

In at least one jurisdiction Winchester/Olin tried to get the case thrown out of court and failed, lost in another and finally settled with Jamison out of court.

As I see it, Winchester/Olin could have continued contesting the issue in court but would have been throwing good money after bad.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I don't blame Hornady for not wanting so support a parasite via royalties.

If you actually read up on it, Rick Jamison is not a parasite. While he may not have originated the "short, fat" concept, he did invest a lot of time & research into developing them, and actually had a patent on a nearly identical design. More damning to Winchester is the fact that he was actually in contract negotiations with them, and had actually developed the 300 JRW for commercial release, to the point that it was a finished concept, with a scheduled writer's hunt with completed rifles & ammo. Winchester demanded that he give them all rights to the design, for zero remuneration, and threatened to drop the round unless he did so. He refused, so they followed through and dropped it. But, lo and behold, 9 months later, they introduced, all on their own, a nearly identical round called the 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Rick Jamison then took them to court over it, and rightly won.

That parasite may have won, but the SOB lost his job over it...as he should have. Damn....it wasn't like he invented short/fat....glad they got rid of him and his oversized ego.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you ever wonder if Rick Jamison hangs out here on the 'fire? Interesting thought......

Gerry.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

A little perspective...

Wildcatting has a long history. It's part of the tradition of handloading. It's not especially expensive for anyone to develop their own. It really comes down to shop drawings, reamers, and forming brass, primers, powder and bullets. It is, however, quite expensive for a factory to offer a new round to the market (I was told by an industry guy around 250K for each new round).

Brad;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours doing well.

While they aren't "short and fat" I know one of the principal developers of the Canadian Imperial Magnum line quite well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As I'm given to understand events, no less than Remington had a close look at these before bringing out their RUM line.

Anyway, all that being said, if any company chooses to make or not make any reloading component I'm OK with either decision. Goodness knows its tough enough for any of us to guess the markets and keep a few folks working these days.

All the best to you and yours Brad.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I guess if you develop a new line of cartridges, someone else basically steals your design and then you go to court to recover damages you are a "parasite"?

That is exactly what happened with Rick Jamison, Winchester and the WSM cartridges. Winchester tried to cheat Jamison, then got taken to court and lost - as they deserved.

A little perspective...

Wildcatting has a long history. It's part of the tradition of handloading. It's not especially expensive for anyone to develop their own. It really comes down to shop drawings, reamers, and forming brass, primers, powder and bullets. It is, however, quite expensive for a factory to offer a new round to the market (I was told by an industry guy around 250K for each new round).

"Winchester" didn't "steal anything from Jamison. Winchester doesn't make ammunition, Olin does.

If anything it would be as appropriate to say Jamison "stole" the short/fats from those before him. I believe the concept started with the Gradle line in the 1950's. There are two local smiths here in my corner of Montana that developed short/fats too. One is an older retired smith that did his with a Weatherby radius shoulder in the 1960's, the other, Dave Gentry, did his on the 404 case in the 1980's. There are others including Wade and HE. So it could be said Jamision profited on others work.

The only thing "unusual" about Jamison's rounds is that he patented "his designs." So while he obviously had a legal standing to sue Olin, he broke with the long tradition of wildcatting in doing so in order to profit from his own and others work.

I have no respect for the man, and think he is symptomatic of our pariah society, but he was apparently within (the sometimes obtuse) body of law that surround US patents.

Jamison took a big ole' chit on handloading tradition... but at least you and I get to pay him every time we buy loaded WSM ammo or brass.

Funny you would see this as part of a pariah society and support a woman that killed her son by failing to follow the very basics of firearm safety with a firearm that would not repeat what she claimed happened.

Jamison had agreements reaching levels the judge decided were contractual and Winchester elected to violate those agreements. Nothing else matters and it has NOTHING to do with primacy, originality, or motivation, period.

The Wade cartridge is too long, even for a Winchester action, BTW...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm curious how someone becomes a "parasite" for protecting a contractual right in the face of a breach by the other party to a contract?

How's that work?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They once sent me a similar response to an inquiry about the 260Rem. They claimed that no American in their right mind wanted a 6.5, the popularity was dwindling, and it offered no inherent advantages over more popular cartridges.

Then they issued the Creedmoor about 2 years later.

They like to blow smoke.

I received a similar treatise from Crimson Trace when I inquired whether they would be offering green lasers. They assured that would NEVER happen. Not even 6 months later I began seeing ad's for green lasers by Crimson Trace.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I used to really like Hornady. They offered a fine selection of bullets, particularly the round noses I prefer for short range woods hunting. Then, they just completely lost their minds. They discontinued much of their bullet line, started marketing "Zombie" nonsense, and now have cheapened their reloading equipment and liken their cartridges to hot rods...replete with exhaust pipes with flames coming out of them. Goodbye Hornady.

Only Sierra has remained a quality company with their tried and true bullets remaining unchanged and extremely effective. The rest all have to use anything other than lead, or put colorful tips on their bullets to attract the idiots. The whole sport of hunting/shooting is changing...I see it when I speak to any young hunter, and not for the better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I don't blame Hornady for not wanting so support a parasite via royalties.

If you actually read up on it, Rick Jamison is not a parasite. While he may not have originated the "short, fat" concept, he did invest a lot of time & research into developing them, and actually had a patent on a nearly identical design. More damning to Winchester is the fact that he was actually in contract negotiations with them, and had actually developed the 300 JRW for commercial release, to the point that it was a finished concept, with a scheduled writer's hunt with completed rifles & ammo. Winchester demanded that he give them all rights to the design, for zero remuneration, and threatened to drop the round unless he did so. He refused, so they followed through and dropped it. But, lo and behold, 9 months later, they introduced, all on their own, a nearly identical round called the 300 Winchester Short Magnum. Rick Jamison then took them to court over it, and rightly won.

That parasite may have won, but the SOB lost his job over it...as he should have. Damn....it wasn't like he invented short/fat....glad they got rid of him and his oversized ego.

Let�s change the perspective a bit. You design a house, complete with architectural drawings and a patent some features of the design. You then take the completed design to a major builder who likes the design, plans to build gazillions of them, starts contract negotiations with you to license the design, builds a house according to the plan and schedules an open house for it and invites media writers to attend the open house.

On the day of or late the day before the open house the licensing contract has not been signed and the builder seeks your permission to go ahead with the open house on condition that the builder will not build or sell any houses similar to that design unless or until the license agreement is signed. You consent to that condition and the open house proceeds.

You are expecting that the licensing agreement will include some royalties or other remuneration for your work in creating and documenting the design, for which you have a patent. Then the builder decides , no, they are not interested but about a year later comes out with a nearly identical design, contrary to the previous agreement. Further, the proceed to sell gazillions of the houses, also contrary to the previous agreement.

Granted, people have been building houses for many years and the one you designed built upon previous designs. That fact, however, is not the primary issue � the primary issue is breach of contract, which results in a significant monetary loss to you.

You seek redress for your grievances in court. The builder attempts to get the case tossed out on summary judgment and fails and they lose in another court case. Then, because they see the writing on the wall, they settle out of court.

According to your logic above, you are a �parasite� and an �SOB� with an �oversized ego� for defending your rights in court.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TopCat

The real issue is the royalty load on WSMs...it cuts into their profit margin. Why make something knowing you're going to be running at a lower profit out of the starting gate when you can make something else for more. It's not a smart business decision.

A smart business decision is to meet customer's demands. Assumably, that is the original impetus in any fledgling businesss. When the manufacturers begin making demands on the customers, that's not a smart business decision.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Otter6
There are some I favor over others. I have favorites. Some I don't give a second look. The objective is to launch a given bullet at a desired velocity.

Love the 300 WSM. Wouldn't look twice at the 300 H&H althought they are the same.

Originally Posted by Otter6
What in the world would we do if it all stopped?

Do some serious pouting.

Last edited by Reloder28; 01/27/15.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I did read up on it, including the court documents. IMO parasite is fitting.

Never trust a man with a pencil thin mustache.

Robert E. Lee
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
...Then, they just completely lost their minds. They discontinued much of their bullet line, started marketing "Zombie" nonsense....

Although I like Hornady, I feel the same way about some of these gimmicks. I realize they're all trying to appeal to a different demographic, but it still makes me roll my eyes every time I see it. If I run across a zombie someday, I'll sure be wishing I had zombie killers instead of my plain old V-Max bullets...;)

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Popularity normally shows where the school fish are feeding.

It certainly does not reflect the work-a-day load bearers of the industry.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by groeder_300
I wish Jamison would have just taken a lump sum payout and moved on. I can see the possibility that his royalties will eventually kill a great cartridge.

Those who roll their own know a good cartridge when they see it. Matters not who created it or what the fuss is with the money whores behind the scenes. When the demand becomes apparent there are enough companies that will make the components available, even to the extent of upstarting for that sole purpose. Starline is one example.

Robert E. Lee
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.