-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Can I use discarded candles or paraffin for substitution of beeswax in bullet lube?? I have unlimited supply of candles but in my area it is hard to find beeswax at a reasonable price.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess you could but I wouldn't think that it would be much good. One sure fire way to find out.

I get beeswax off the internet for my various craft projects. It's all over places like eBay. I know of guys who add a bit of crayon to their lube mixes to get some color, and I have read recipes that called for a small percentage of paraffin but none that relied on it as the sole wax. Personally, I gave up messing with home made lubes long ago. The couple of bucks per stick that commercial lubes cost is a bargain compared to the time/materials spent making my own. Just my opinion.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, paraffin is not a suitable substitute for beeswax. You can try it, but you'll find that the lube will not stay in the grooves, BTDT. You can add some paraffin to a beeswax based lube to harden it, but don't add too much.

Honestly after trying white label lubes I've found it simply isn't worth the mess, smell and fuss of making my own when I can get a flat rate mailer of lube sticks delivered for a very reasonable price that will last me years.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Go to the Minnesota state fair, find the bee and honey people and get cheap beeswax.

Paraffin works well as a "filler", but good lube should be mostly beeswax.
An old electric coffee pot or adjustable electric hot plate works great to blend the wax and lube and won't smoke or cook the beeswax if you stir every so often at low temp setting.

We made two coffee cans full of lube over five-10 years ago and aren't even close to having used it up.
Spent 13 bucks on the beeswax.

Haven't had to buy any LBT lube either, since the stuff I brewed up did the same thing, without "inconveniencing" the great Veral Smith.....

L
OP Offline
L
I have found a couple of sources on the internet for beeswax. I have a crock pot I will be using for the melting process. Also has anybody had much experience with the wax toilet rings?? I've seen some guys on you tube using it but would like some personal comments from anybody that has experimented with it. Will remember the state fair tip. Also will keep my eyes open for some shops or signs about bees on my trips (I drive over the road).

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Aren't current toilet bowl rings made of something other than beeswax now? I don't remember where I heard that but it was in conjunction with someone's warning about not using it. Dunno, just passing on something that may well be an internet rumor. But I would verify it before blithely going ahead and using it.

One formula I tried years ago was beeswax+ATF fluid, mixed around 5 or 6:1. Beeswax+STP in about the same ratio worked pretty good too. But like I said, it was a mess-and-a-half to make so I went back to good old store bought beeswax/Alox 50/50 and never looked back. I like do-it-yourself independence as much as the next guy but some things just don't make sense IMO. I guess if there's a drought brought on by another Obama scare and lube disappears from the market due to hoarding, knowledge of home recipes might come into their own... grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
OP Offline
L
I have seen some guys using toilet rings but they "stiffened" it up with paraffin. At one time or maybe even still now the rings were made in the same factory with most of the same components that Alox was made with. But with over 1,000 lbs. of lead to cast I am looking at all options. Will cast some of the "mini-ribbed" slugs and use some tumble lube reciepes also. Open to all ideas -- if they work for me or not. That's some of the fun about doing this reloading, casting thing. Also the flexabilty of it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.