Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes.

I get drunk and make them in my garage.

But if you want something similar, check RimRock. I've been using their 260gr "Keith" and I like 'em a lot.

No, they are not "true Keith's" but who gives a schit. They shoot great.

http://rimrockbullets.net/

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by leomort
Thanks everyone! So it's the lube from the lead bullet that's causingthe smokeyness! So this also happen with the hard case lead bullet lube as well?

I'm also planning on using titegroup for my 45acp with hornady 230gr fmj-rn.

It's one of the few powders I can find available for handguns.

I did bugger up the first few rounds that I tried seating the bullets. The RCBS dies also double as the crimper and I had it screwed down too far.

I was also a little too conservative in flaring the case mouth as I was shaving some lead off the bullets as I was seating them.

Handload is great! I figure I'm reloading at a cost of 30cents a round vs $1 per round!!!! That's a hugh savings!

I'll actually be able to afford to shoot my 44magnum a lot more!!!

If I didn't handload, I doubt that I could afford to shoot the 44mag.

It was some of the best time I spent on cold, rainy saturday! smile

Thanks for the tips on cleaning out the powder hopper. With the powder shortage it's not a big deal yet as I've got two pounds of titegroup to use for my 44mag and 45 acp.

Just seems like it's going to be pain in butt getting my dies adusted again.

Naw, I shoot up to the .500 JRH at 10 to 12 cents a round. Free lead. Only the primer and powder. Brass pays for itself.
I never used Titegroup so can't comment but it should be cheaper.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
leomort....u r welcome... If you have some Unique that is about the best all-around powder there is. I know that Mackay uses 10.0 for a full load and 8.5 for a target load in all his .44s and uses the same boolit that Travis does.

2400 is the traditional Elmer Keith powder and is usually best if one wants higher velocity loads.

I use just a smige more crimp than Travis does but as long as the casemouth is well folded over into the crimp groove as close to the front driving band as possible it will work... A lot of reloaders don't like a tight crimp because they feel that they get case mouth splits...I get far more body splits than casemouth splits and even those are rare. I am still using .38 Super brass from the 1980s and .41 Magnum from the 1970s...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you were using factory hornady 240grain swaged bullets, they don't have typical lube in the groves, they have kind of a checkering design on the bullet with a waxy coating i best describe as found on .22lr bullets. I have a bunch of them, and they are also soft lead. I don't know what your load is, but sometimes that smoking you refered to is from too light a load. As i remember those bullets don't have a crimping groove per se like a keith bullet, i would have to go look to be sure.
As to the amount of crimp, i tend to like taper/collet crimps better than rolled crimps for some applications. But i have been doing recently in addition to checking that the crimp is actually holding the bullet, is to use a guage on the finish product and compare to a factory found for diameter just behind the case mouth. Also trying for fit in the barrel prior to getting to ambitious to make sure they fit properly. On a really tight revolver like a ladyhawk i run reloads through now and then, just a little bit out of wack and they won't fit in the cyclinder.
On those big cases i might add a bulky powder like unique or 2400 makes me a lot more comfortable, i like heavy case density with powders for various reasons.
on those hornady's, I got a deal on a store liquidation a few years ago, and got 1000 of them for like 25bucks. I only use them in .44special, too soft i think for .44magnum.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/28/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I might add like rjm, i like tight crimps, important when throwing heavy caliber bullets out of big bores particularly.
And a little aside, rjm convinced me i needed a 657 mountain gun a couple of years ago, his saying was one of the better .41's made. It's taken me a couple of years to figure out he was right, but i have to bow to my .41magnum pimp. Sure glad i bought that revolver.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
RoninPhx,

Yes, those are the hornady 240gr swage swc. They have no groove but checkering designed as you mention. These are soft lead with horndady reloading manual saying to keep them 1,000 fps or slow.

Using titegroup with these bullets the hornady manual starts at 5.2grains and goes up to 6.6 grains.

I used 5.6 grains. I did not get real aggressive with the crimp.

I checked by turning the loaded ammo upside down and tried pushing the bullet on the benchtop and it didn't budge.

I can increase the charge on the next batch and put tighter crimp this time.

I'm enjoying shooting a revolver as I get to keep ALL my brass to reload!!! laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 3,145 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,975
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.