Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Do you folks notice the there is a bell curve for your best practice shooting?

I start out with okay hunting accuracy for 5-10 shots. Then I'm dialed in perfectly with great precision and form for the next 25-40 shots or so. After which my steady hold is getting less steady!!

This seems to be the time I'm most vulnerable to hit the trigger. This situation always bugs me because while hunting it's just your first shot. No warm up, no time to get in the groove.

Long practice sessions do make my first cold shot while hunting far better. My brain and " muscle memory" seem to snap in place better with more practice. I'm not actually sure I understand the term "muscle memory" well enough to explain it. So whatever the proper term is, is what I'm trying to imply. I also Notice that it's clearly easier to draw my bow after a dozen shots then it is the first few times or last 5-6.

One other observation, I have learned to stop shooting after I'm at that point where a steady hold gets tricky. I always want to stop with perfect form and confidence. I found shooting past the point of being dead steady creates a stress to correct problems which just gets worse and less steady. I nearly always try to quit on a high note!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Too long is no good for sure.I can usually pick my bow up after not shooting for a couple months and hit right on.Years of practice and muscle memory I guess.But shooting to long of a range session and things start to open up a bit due to fatigue

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Too long is no good for sure.I can usually pick my bow up after not shooting for a couple months and hit right on.Years of practice and muscle memory I guess.But shooting to long of a range session and things start to open up a bit due to fatigue

+1, fatigue and for me, dwindling concentration

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 65 invisible), 2,575 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.