Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wildlife officials in Florida are discussing adding black bears to the list of animals that can be hunted. In the meantime:

Wildlife Officers Trap and Kill 740-lb. Black Bear

Wildlife officers trapped and killed the biggest Florida black bear on record Sunday in a Longwood neighborhood.

The mammoth animal, which had been roaming Seminole County neighborhoods for more than a month, weighed 740 pounds, according to the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission. That's more than 100 pounds heavier than the previous record-holder, a 620-pound black bear caught in Paisley in 2013.

The Longwood bear most likely did not balloon to 740 pounds by sticking to its staple diet of nuts, berries and sabal-palm hearts. It probably feasted on a cornucopia of curbside garbage, too, said Thomas Eason, a bear biologist and director of FWC's Division of Habitat & Species Conservation.

Residents had complained for weeks about a large beast with white chest markings that had been wandering through their yards and streets.

Though many people still regard the state's native black bears as curious, playful critters, frequent conflicts with humans have forced FWC to change its approach in managing the once a threatened species.

The result likely will be more dead bears, Eason said.

The agency's more aggressive approach follows the mauling of two Seminole County women and a teen-age girl in the Panhandle during the past 13 months, the injury of a 68-year-old woman in Heathrow and the growing number of human-bear encounters.

Wildlife commissioners are set to discuss FWC's bear-management strategies next month, when they'll also consider allowing a bear hunt in Florida for the first time since 1994. The agency is studying the bear population, which was estimated at 3,000 animals a decade ago but is believed to have exploded.

The Longwood bear's fate may be a result of the agency's new, tougher approach.

Problems with bears will continue with increasing frequency and severity until the State of Florida reinstates an annual organized bear hunt.

Adult male black bears weigh on average about 250 pounds, though they range between 125 and 600 pounds, according to the American Bear Association. Females are usually smaller, though they can tip the scales at 300 pounds or more. The bears in the Seminole County incidents were smaller females with cubs.

The size of the bear mattered less to FWC than its behavior, said Mike Orlando, the agency's bear expert in Central Florida.

"We don't always rush out and capture them just because they're big," he said. "No bear � not big ones, little ones or the medium-sized ones � should be comfortable in neighborhoods."

The previous Florida record-holder had made a nuisance of itself in the Lake County community of Paisley, tearing into livestock pens and rummaging through garbage cans. It was later released in the Ocala National Forest and hasn't been heard from since, Orlando said.

State Rep. Scott Plakon, R-Longwood, who called the state's nuisance-bear hotline last month about a group of bears in his Alaqua neighborhood, was stunned to hear of the new record-setter.

"I can't even picture that," he said. "It would barely fit in the trap."

FWC believes the big bear was the same distinctively marked animal that residents in several neighborhoods had seen at all times of the day.

"It had a high presence in the community," Orlando said. "It did not run or flee from people as it should."

He said the agency had little option but to euthanize a bear that had demonstrated it was dangerously comfortable around people.

"We don't want to kill any animal, especially an impressive and majestic animal like that," Orlando said. "But public safety is paramount."

Wildlife records in North Carolina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and other states with black bears boast bigger animals, but nearly all were shot by hunters in the wild, not captured in a residential neighborhood.

shudakorlandosentinel.com or 407-650-6361.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Basically, the squirrel cops got spooked and shot the bear. Gotcha.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
sure would be nice to have a limited entry permit system like we do for gators.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Somehow '740 lb. black bear' and 'Florida' can't go together in my head. That is a big bear for sure.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Somehow '740 lb. black bear' and 'Florida' can't go together in my head. That is a big bear for sure.

The get 600+ in E. NC routinely.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yep. We had the record at 770 plus for a few years until PA took it away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Yep. We had the record at 770 plus for a few years until PA took it away.

We hold the world record, 880 lbs, killed in Craven County in 1998

http://gothunts.com/north-carolina-record-black-bear-confirmed/

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
that's rite.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Florida needs a bear hunt.
How and when that happens is yet to be seen.
The bunny hugger's don't see it as needed, but it has to happen sometime.
There are a LOT of bears in Florida.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm from NC and know there are huge bears there. But Florida? I picture the bear on a beach in a lounge chair, sipping girly drinks.

In a thong. It's just not right.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I figure the bear had to be eating something related to human activity, like trash or cannery waste.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,283
Posts18,467,788
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.