Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am 6' 1", 195 pounds and looking for a good but not real high priced shoulder holster that can be used with casual wear. Maybe even between shirt and under shirt, maybe under vest of in cooler weather a light jacket. Main considerations would it is comfortable and will not pring with full size 1911.

Suggestions?

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would say the Safariland ALS (no worries about it dropping out) but I'd guess a 5in 1911 might still print. I have one for a Glock and its my "driving" holster. I wear a "shoot-me-first" vest over it as I drive through Birmingham and Memphis numerous times/yr at night.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks. I spend more time in cities sitting than standing and was thinking of a shoulder holster for just that reason. When I will be on my feet it will be my Milt Sparks VM II.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Safariman knows, ask him.

MM

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
galco jackass. wink

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
galco jackass. wink

Make sure its snapped. A detective here yrs ago dropped a Hi-Power out of one. It landed on the hammer, muzzle up, discharged and creased his pectoral muscle.

I'm guessing he threw his drawers out with that holster.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I went with a Blackhawk harness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You don't want a shoulder holster.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Scott F
... maybe under vest of in cooler weather a light jacket. ... comfortable and will not pring with full size 1911.

You posted this from a cell phone, didn't you? grin

I don't think there are many men who could wear a full size 1911 in a shoulder holster under a vest and not have it print the moment he stepped away from a mirror. And good luck with a light jacket.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
galco, jackass. wink

Fixt

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Scott. You may want to look at the 5.11 holster shirts. I have one and have carried a full size Glock 45 in it without printing. Worn under an open buttun front ahirt it looks just like an "under armour" type performance t shirt

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Glocktard
galco jackass. wink

Make sure its snapped. A detective here yrs ago dropped a Hi-Power out of one. It landed on the hammer, muzzle up, discharged and creased his pectoral muscle.

I'm guessing he threw his drawers out with that holster.

A LEO friend of mine lost his SIG TWICE the same way. The last time he bent over to mark something at the scene of a fatality accident and it landed right on the tang muzzle pointing between his eyes.

Any thunbsnap horizontal shoulder holster without enough tension to hold the gun in place if (when) the the thumbsnap comes undone is a droped gun waiting to happen.

I've had a number of shoulder holsters over the years and the only one I ever liked was the Bianchi 9R for J and K size snubbies. For a 1911 it is easier and more comfortable to slip it inside the waistband on the support side butt forward....but that is just what works for me...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I figure the "Jackass" is aptly named considering the wearer is a walking Rule #2 violation. They should have to wear a sign so I can level the playing field by strolling around with my gun aimed at their chest too.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I figure the "Jackass" is aptly named considering the wearer is a walking Rule #2 violation. They should have to wear a sign so I can level the playing field by strolling around with my gun aimed at their chest too.

Roger that.

I gave up on the whole shoulder holster for concealment idea decades ago. I'm in that group that simply can't conceal a full-size handgun with one, but don't need it for anything compact. Except in the middle of winter if I stay outside in the cold - but then I can just go OWB anyway. I don't know anyone who wears a shoulder holster for concealment (as far as I know wink ). Guess I'm not around many hulky guys. If I were in a situation where I could conceal a 1911 in a shoulder holster (winter jacket), and I couldn't get along with strong-side OWB (driving, etc) - I'd probably just opt for a cross-draw rig.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks guys, shoulder holster idea out the window. I will look at cross-draws.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or, a nice little revolver for the front pocket.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
Thanks guys, shoulder holster idea out the window. I will look at cross-draws.

concealment doesn't work for this really, but i like the old WWII style shoulder holster for a 1911, the later version. I am partial to them as i don't really like the weight on a belt.
But the military holster is a decent way to pack a 1911 when out and about, concealment not being part of the equation.
Pacific canvas sells them at a pretty good price.
sent you a picture

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/28/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have an old one in black at home on the farm. It might conceal well if it were not for the strap across the chest. Next time I go home I will get it out and see if I can make it work. I just might get away with the right loose fitting snap button shirt and a light vest. I wear vests a lot anyway.

BTW That is a beautiful in the picture.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
just a standard ruger, with lazer cut grips. Going to be a gift someday to my favorite grandson, an officer and gentleman in the air farce.
i do like those leather holsters pacific sells tho, have a number of them for military revolvers and the like.
One of my favorites is the 1912 for the 1911.
http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters/pcl_13_usmc_l.htm

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/29/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
this is the guy you were looking at in the picture, exception being mine is L.H., which my grandson is too.

http://www.pacificcanvasandleather.com/holsters/pcl_56_r.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,221
Posts18,466,442
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.