Print Thread
Hop To
#9552497 01/28/15
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I fired a bushnell range finder last year, never did work properly and they gave me the bum's rush when i complained. I am thus looking at a new one, seemed to be hovering between a leupold and a leica.
Curious what others are using, and experience with using them.
I really don't need to go over 600yards either, but the 1000 yard ones are interesting.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought a Leica and took it out one time. I found it to be great, but I have no use for it because my shots are pretty much limited to 100 yds. It just sits in the original box on the shelf in my reloading area.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Ranger 1000. Mine hits just about all things well at the 500-600 range. It will hit 1100 when I hold still enough and hitting solid surfaces (i.e. a house that's a ways off and below my parents house).

Last edited by NTG; 01/28/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Leica range finders, the hand held unit and the one built in the binoculars. Both work superb. Although my hunting partner has a much less expensive Leupold model that is smaller and lighter than my old Leica Range Master (hand held).

I only use the Duovid for varmint hunting. I hit my truck yesterday at 1160 and agree longer distance read require a better surface. Trying to range on flat prairies can be challenging - range the mound and not the rat.

Long distance units are handy for calculating stalks in big country. I've successfully used them on numerous stalks by ranging the animal, then spots where I may stalk to for a shot. Keeps one from popping up either far too close or too far.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Vortex Ranger is the best deal going if you don't need to range 1200 yards or longer.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a Leica 1200 that's about 8 years old and still works perfectly. I've used various newer models of Leupolds, bushnells & nikons and have not seen one yet I'd swap for my Leica. If I were shopping for one now I'd look towards the Leica 1600B or a Swarovski.

Get something rated for at least twice the distance of your max requirements because the rated max is only under optimal conditions. In less than optimum field conditions you can only count on about half that distance. A lrf rated for 600 yds that'll only do 300 when it's humid out is pretty useless.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are a bunch of relatively inexpensive rangefinders that get to 600 easily. The big problem with most hand-held rangefinders is the difficulty in holding them on target, plus they tend to have a little wider beam than the rangefinders inside binoculars and scopes.

A lot also depends on what you're ranging. Getting a reading on a hillside at 1000 is a lot easier than a pronghorn on a flat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
It was somewhat my fault with the bushnell, in that i had only used it a couple of times, let it get out of warranty. The big issue was the electonic number display wouln't work properly. Bushnell was kind enough to offer a little discount on buying a new one, that even with the discount through them, i could buy an identical unit somewhere else cheaper, meaning they did nothing. Oh well.
Part of the reason for wanting a replacement is to set up easily longer range firing distances, for testing various bullet/caliber combinations. I have a couple of rifles that were set up for 1000yard shooting at perry, that i have never fired. Need to rectify that.
also, i like a lot of others around here, shoot primarily on the desert rather than a regular range. Helps to set the targets.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/28/15.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There are a bunch of relatively inexpensive rangefinders that get to 600 easily. The big problem with most hand-held rangefinders is the difficulty in holding them on target, plus they tend to have a little wider beam than the rangefinders inside binoculars and scopes.

A lot also depends on what you're ranging. Getting a reading on a hillside at 1000 is a lot easier than a pronghorn on a flat.

And a good reason why users should read the instructions about their particular unit. Knowing the principles of operation means that shooters will make better use of their range finder.

I use an inexpensive Leupold RX 600i (less than $300) which is good to 600 yd - but I have never used it to that distance.

What I do when hunting with it is to range fixed objects in the area. I do not use it on critters unless they appear somewhere outside of the areas I've ranged. Reflections from fur can be iffy. I do not want to fuss with another optic when lunch or a predator arrives.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I really like my Zeiss Victory 8x45 T* RF binocs. I got them for a good price from Doug and the gang at Cameraland, here on the Fire They are my go to binocs, haven't used anything else this season. I have 7x50 Swaro and 8x42 Kahles binocs, a Leica 1200 RF. All good stuff, just like the Zeiss better. RF in the binoc is quicker. The Zeiss will give good readings out to 1,500 yds. or so with a good contrast target. The Leica does good to read 600 yds.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/28/15.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
The Vortex Ranger is the best deal going if you don't need to range 1200 yards or longer.

that lifetime warranty at this point sure looks good.
Are you using these by chance?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boise

Long distance units are handy for calculating stalks in big country. I've successfully used them on numerous stalks by ranging the animal, then spots where I may stalk to for a shot. Keeps one from popping up either far too close or too far.

This. My Leica 1600B helps me tremendously in this respect. When you start ranging to various rocks, tree trunks, hillsides, and other terrain features, it's amazing how far off we can be in our perception of the location relationships between various objects.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I have a Leica 1200 that's about 8 years old and still works perfectly.

+1

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BGunn
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I have a Leica 1200 that's about 8 years old and still works perfectly.

+1

Mine is about that old and works perfectly, too.

I just prefer to use my Zeiss RF binocs instead...

Those Leica units are very good and are about bullet proof.

DF

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ron, no, they are a relatively new entry. I have a couple of guide buddies that have switched to them. I think the Leicas are better but quite a bit more expensive and not much of a warranty.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.