Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Has anyone shot any round ball/shot shell wad loads? If so (or
possible) I would like the particulars; mold, wad, powder, etc.

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I haven't shot any 20 ga round ball, so can't offer any specifics, but have used a lot of them in 12 gauge.

You can use shot data for the appropriate weight, just substitute the round ball. I use cork wads in the shot cup to adjust height if necessary. I've even dumped the shot from Federal 1-1/8 oz (12 ga) field loads and replaced with a round ball, these work really well, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one on deer (where legal and appropriate, etc.)

I generally use wheel weight balls, not pure lead, and use a ball size that fits inside the shot cup. Fed or Win shot cups work great, Remington not so much because of the rib on each petal.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What type of shotgun?

is it rifled barrel?

Full choke? Smooth bore?

this will help in giving suggested loading data.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have multiple guns with different chokes; however, it would probably be used in an 1100(choice of chokes). I guess I would have to measure choke diameter and subtract 'petal' thickness
to get ball diameter(?). It is a smooth bore. Also, WW or pure lead; I'm thinking pure(?).

Last edited by contender; 01/29/15.

doo-wop music."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Just use your cyl or imp cyl choke. You're on the right track to figure out ball diameter, but don't feel like you have to be too picky about the size. +/- .005" seem to work about the same for me. If the ball is a little oversize, it will just squeeze the plastic wad petals a bit. If it cuts the petals, the ball is too big, or too soft. Same applies to slugs.

I prefer WW, not pure; WW gives less (none) deformation in the forcing cone and better accuracy, although "better accuracy" is a very relative term in this case. You're basically shooting a smoothbore musket, with these round balls.

I honestly have not found better accuracy with normal rifled barrels, using round balls; the twist is much faster than a round ball wants.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could also used a rifled choke tube which may aid accuracy vs. a smooth bore.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for all the info guys, I guess I am ready to pick out a mold. Good to know that the wad being somewhat soft will probably make up for marginal differences.

doo-wop music."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Don't quote me on it, but I think the Lee .600" round ball mold is appropriate for 20 gauge. I use it for a tri-ball load in 12 ga, never tried it in 20, but I vaguely remember the 20 ga guys talking about using that one. Just remember to get that mold extra hot, cut the sprue while it's hot and soft, to avoid damage to the mold blocks. Lee's round ball molds have to be treated a little differently than normal bullet molds.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd get a rifled choke tube, and use a .625 dia ball with NO wad petals, just hard cards underneath and a "gas" donut.

The little bit of spin the rifled choke offers will stabilize the RB just nicely.

I'd use WW alloy.

I shoot .625 dia RB in my rifled NEF slug gun and they shoot very nicely. I do prefer a full bore slug like this one.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Blammer, that sorta looks like it would hurt. A lot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
both ends!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's not as bad on the recoil as you'd think. smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I guess it depends on what the mission for the round ball load is. I was given a whole container of .530 round balls cast out of WW's,guess they figured out in a hurry they don't go down a ml barrel worth a damn. The do fit nicely in the shotcup of Fed 20 ga S1 wads in a Fed hull. They were bedded on the bottom with Grex and another layer between the 1 st and 2nd one smaller amount on top with a thin tissue over shot wad crimped well. The total payload weight was right at 1 oz. As said above I started the powder charge off of a given one for 1 oz loads. I used the Imp cyl choke tube in my 26" barreled M870 Express with 1 chambered and 4 in the mag you can hold all 10 balls on a paper plate at 30 yds and do it in 3.5 seconds or less if your manual dexterity is up to it. They don't bounce off of rr ties like buckshot. Velocity around 1175fps ,I thought if'n a guy had to clean out his hallway this load would gett'er done. Magnum Man

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

133 members (280ACKIMP, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 14 invisible), 1,282 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,513
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.