Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I've never trapped or went with anyone to check traps, but I am very interested in starting. I can read stuff on the internet and I have, but I'd like to hear some advice from you guys. What is some stuff that I absolutely need to know? What should I be looking for? Any advice/input would be fantastic!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm sure a N.Carolina trapper assn. has a website. Try
to get in cahoots with a local trapper. Save a lot of
time and trial and error. Good luck!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This sounds kind of simple, but the first thing to learn would be how to read animal sign. Go out in the woods and streams where you live and start observing what is going on there. Look for tracks and scat and other signs. Look for beaver houses and muskrat huts. Look for trails. Try to get a good idea of how animals go about their daily lives.

Because you can have the best trapping equipment in the world, and use the best lures made, but if you don't set the trap where the animals are, you won't catch anything.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
North Carolina laws vary from county to county, so make sure you learn all of the laws that apply to your county.

Much of the state has no fox trapping. Written permission required on all private ground.

Hound hunters control the laws and they are not friendly to trappers.

Some guys do live market in NC. I advise against it....just supports the lobby that is smothering the trappers there.

I trapped on base in Onslow county for several years. Water trapping beaver and otter was the most lucrative. Good meat market for coons in east carolina. Good numbers of bobcats but they were flat rabbit backs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some guys do live market in NC. I advise against it....just supports the lobby that is smothering the trappers there.

I know nothing about the live market in NC, or how the majority of the populace feels about the live-market, so to say anything about it would be useless.

However, in LA the governor signed a law stating that the running of foxes/coyotes was part of the 'states heritage'. The senate vote was 36-1, the 1 being the senator from NO, that supports all the tree-hugger bills. Since this is a law that went thru the legislature and not the Wildlife and Fisheries dept., it will take legislative action to reverse it. Not saying it cant be reversed, but it will require a lot more effort.

Some years the fur market is good and like this year, it isnt. The prices we get for southern fur is very low and without the live market, trapping wouldnt pay for itself.

I'm not arguing with the advice you gave 45, just stating what the situation is, here in La.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
If you can, go to as many conventions in the summer as you can afford. Not only a wealth of information in demo's but also some good deals to be had on traps from the tailgaters.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.