Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a win .M 71 , I didn't hunt with very much because it was to heavy to tote around all day.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They are noticably more heavy, but I guess that is what made it feel solid to me.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I owned a Japanese made M94 as my first rifle. I enjoyed it as a blacktail deer killing machine, but had to sell it. Seemed good to me then, but I had no experience to compare it against other rifles. Then I owned bolt action rifles exclusively for 30 some years. In the last two years I have bought 99s and enjoyed them for their carriability, handling, and the rotary magazines, not to mention the variety of rounds which can be shot from them. Recently I flirted with a Browning BLR, and bought one brand new. It looked interesting, had a magazine , was well fitted, etc. but I had it for less than a week before I decided that it paled in comparison to my 99s, and I traded it off for another 99. There are other interesting and well made levers guns out there, but I just see no comparison between them and the 99 inasfar as handling and loading, let alone beauty.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Found this thread thru a search for the model 71. I was considering posting a similar request to the OP's in the Savage forum. After reading the above comments, glad it did not. I have not been on the fire very long, but long enough to get to know many of the posters here, including whose opinions to value and whose to ignore.

Anyway, I did post it up on the "you know who" forum and got some friendly advice. Of course, it was 'buy the gun".

Charlie

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably couldn't have started with a tougher crowd than Campfire Savage 99 guys to bring up a Japanese made clone of a Winchester.

Last edited by 21; 12/21/15.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some say the Japs made a better rifle than the original Winchesters they copied. I wouldn't agree or disagree in the wrong or right company, as it were...

LOL
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The Miroku Brownings are fine pieces of machinery.

The M71 is also an excellent rifle.

Like the SMLE, it is a fun itch to scratch.

But 308 levers are much more useful.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Forgot about this thread, and the responses it got. Hunted the gun pretty hard this deer season, killed a deer with it and really enjoyed the gun. Did it perform better than the 99's ? , definitely not. I wasn't able to get the accuracy out of it that I got with the 99's because the trigger is not as good, but it was good enough for deer hunting in PA. Was it heavy? Yep, but I'm a strapping young buck so not a big deal😉. Was the recoil a little much? It's not a bench rest shooter to begin with and like so many guns you don't feel a thing when you pull the trigger in the field. I have zero regret that I bought it, and have no plans of getting rid of it. The scout mount I put on it worked great too!

God Bless

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Forgot about this thread, and the responses it got. Hunted the gun pretty hard this deer season, killed a deer with it and really enjoyed the gun. Did it perform better than the 99's ? , definitely not. I wasn't able to get the accuracy out of it that I got with the 99's because the trigger is not as good, but it was good enough for deer hunting in PA. Was it heavy? Yep, but I'm a strapping young buck so not a big deal😉. Was the recoil a little much? It's not a bench rest shooter to begin with and like so many guns you don't feel a thing when you pull the trigger in the field. I have zero regret that I bought it, and have no plans of getting rid of it. The scout mount I put on it worked great too!

God Bless

MM

Say 77 Hail Mary's and whip yourself profusely and you may be forgiven my son.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh my Lord, a scout scope on A 71 Mochester! What is this world coming too???

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by S99VG
cb

When I said I killed a deer with it I didn't actually mean I shot the deer with the gun. I was sitting very still and the deer got so close that when I raised the gun we kind of locked eyes. When we were staring at each other I noticed his eyes drift down to the gun for a split second. That's when his deer jaw just dropped, his eyes got really big and he pressed his front hooves to his little deer chest. He reared over backward and that was that, I figured I better put my tag on him since the horror that is the scope mount on my browning is obviously what killed him. Looking back I'm just glad nobody else was killed.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Next year hunt with a post war 99R. Instead of scaring the crap out of the deer you can club em into submission. You may never have a need for buying ammo again. Good show!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I ran the action of a 357 browning model ninety something
..loved it. It was the same action as the win 71. They are sahweeet. But they are HEAVY. And when you buy one your Wallet will be EMPTY! The wallet will stay empty if you need ammo. So I don't own onem

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Uh, it's not the same action as the 71. The 71 (both Winchester and Browning) were only offered in the one caliber- .348 Winchester. The actions used for the pistol cartridges were/are the M92, a lot smaller than the 71 by several pounds. I agree though that they are sweet.

I had a M71 Browning back 25 years ago. Wonderfully well made, smooth, and accurate rifle. When I woke up to the fact that I had absolutely no use for a mule killer like that, I sold it (and bought a M1920 Savage .250-3000 with the money).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't kill mules....I pay stupid money 4 them. But I think them 71 s are one of browning best efgorts. Other than the heft. By the way thanks 4 correcting me....I stick my foot in my mouth enough need all the help I can get.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
cb

When I said I killed a deer with it I didn't actually mean I shot the deer with the gun. I was sitting very still and the deer got so close that when I raised the gun we kind of locked eyes. When we were staring at each other I noticed his eyes drift down to the gun for a split second. That's when his deer jaw just dropped, his eyes got really big and he pressed his front hooves to his little deer chest. He reared over backward and that was that, I figured I better put my tag on him since the horror that is the scope mount on my browning is obviously what killed him. Looking back I'm just glad nobody else was killed.

Mitchell, sorry to bring back this very painful thread. Bought the Win 71 last night. Posted some pics on the Win forum, don't have the balls to spare for posting them here. Thanks for the tip on saving ammo, I will give it a try if I get close enough to a deer Sat.

Charlie

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
cb

Mitchell, I apologize for bringing this most painfull thread back up. I bought the win 71 last night. Appreciated the tip on saving ammo. Will give it a try Sat if I get close enough to a deer. Could you tell me if the heart attack affected the vension?

Charlie
MM

Last edited by crsides; 12/22/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know if it was a painful thread for the OP. Anyone talking up a Winchester/Browning design on a Savage forum has got to expect a little chiding. It's kind of like a Marine recruit singing his praise for the Army or a Greenpeace activist drinking beer in a logging camp. Just a little unexpected and out of place, and certain to provoke a stir. But we all know how these thing go.

Last edited by S99VG; 12/22/15.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No pain experienced, I just keep repeating in my head" I'm rubber you're glue,,,,,,,,,".

MM

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
This is my youngest boys Browning with a scout set up, is a very nice set up to shoot. He took a bison with the rifle when he was 13. Both eyes open makes for fast target acquisition and the dominant eye zero's. Would make a freat set up for a dgr (another project of mine). I have always thought it would make a great way to scope a 99 takedown without altering just find a donor barrel fit it and install the mount.

Attached Images
MVC-017S.JPG (39.29 KB, 24 downloads)
MVC-018S.JPG (39.34 KB, 15 downloads)
MVC-019S.JPG (38.21 KB, 18 downloads)

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 270winchester, 22250rem, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,238
Posts18,466,745
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.