Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been shooting 99's since I was 14 and have never killed a deer with another rifle, but I picked up a browning 71 on a whim this fall and I think I may be wavering on my favorite. Everything on the rifle is just solid, and the action is slick, really slick. The cartridge itself, 348 Winchester , has a cool factor that is hard to describe. Has anyone else handled one of these, what are your thoughts ? Besides that this is a crazy person's post that is.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're a pretty brave dude to come on the Savage forum bragging on a Winchester copy. Its kinda like walking up on the gallows unassisted and putting the noose over your own head !!!:):):) You have my sympathy.

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have had three over the years, all deluxe, two with bolt peeps. One had been converted to 45/70; I bought that for trade/resell purposes and never shot it. Kind of wish I had kept all three, but had to scratch other itches.

Shot the two .348's some, with both factory and handloaded ammo, but never killed anything with them. They are great rifles, made at the confluence of workmanship and modern materials. I don't know what the current availability is of components, but if you are going to shoot much, you had better reload. I believe you're looking at about three bucks a shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
there is a winchester forum

Gotta love them 303's
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
eek Dude! 'SACRILEGE' Go to the Winchester threads and talk Savage if you have a double death wish. crazy GW grin

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know i am stepping heavily on toes, but I think I am asking an honest question

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I know i am stepping heavily on toes, but I think I am asking an honest question

ten thousand giveaphuques.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

ten thousand giveaphuques.

laugh laugh

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
"Besides that this is a crazy person's post that is."

Pretty much explains the thoughts and the question smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It's an honest question, but why ask it on a site dedicated to the love and preservation of the Savage 99? It's kind of like telling your ex's parents that you are falling in love with a new woman. Just not done. Surely there is another forum for such a question.
Besides, it's made in Japan and has two tubes, not one.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
You guys are tough! I realize the OP is familiar with 99's, and probably deserves the scorn, but some of us flirted with those floozy Winchesters before we saw the light!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my 99's but I have a Browning 71. Very well made and fun to carry and shoot. It is a rifle I will never sell!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sayak
It's an honest question, but why ask it on a site dedicated to the love and preservation of the Savage 99? It's kind of like telling your ex's parents that you are falling in love with a new woman. Just not done. Surely there is another forum for such a question.
Besides, it's made in Japan and has two tubes, not one.

I posed the question on this forum because the people who use it love the model 99 as I do and have a great appreciation for its design and function. I am not asking the opinion of some people that may have handled one a couple of times and have very little experience actually hunting/shooting different models and calibers of it. Makes sense to me and is probably the most direct route to get the information that I am looking for. They are guns after all, not wives or family and I think we can discussions with this in mind.

MM

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice recovery MM, I'm game for debate. How is the accuracy in those Browning 71's? Accuracy is one of the things 99 seems to do better than most levers, with the advantage of using pointy bullets of course.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not really looking for a debate on which one is better, maybe just some shared experience by some on this forum that have handled both firearms. Accuracy seems good from my standpoint, but found out through the process I don't really care for shooting with a peep. Like I said I've been shooting a 99 of some sort for a couple decades, but always scoped. I'm having my gunsmith install a scout mount on the browning to solve that problem, and as far as positive and negatives go, the 99 definitely has it over on the browning with ease of installing a scope. Hornady makes pointy bullets with the red rubber tips so you can use spire points, but I don't think this gun was made for long range shooting. I'm looking to load up heavier round nose bullets and see how they shoot. One thing about this gun is that it punches on both ends. Looking forward to some more input, and no hard feelings for insults given, I don't take internet insults too seriously.

MM

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 01/29/15.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I got a half dozen original Winchester model 71's, there real nice guns!! but i never had to talk about them on the "SAVAGE" forum !!! crazy crazy you need to go to the Winchester "CLONE" forum !!!! Oh ya there aint one !!!!! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are lots of old threads on the Winchester 71, the Browning remake, and the 348 in the archives.

There is a Winchester collectors group on the Campfire that has some very experienced folks too.

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My thoughts are that Brownings suck, except the old school A5, and they should have their own forum. Guns with hammers suck too. Hammers are for nails, not rifles. That is all

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Their ok for a young stud who likes to hunt from a tree and buy high priced ammo. Who lifts weights and likes to get punched around. I know a guy that owns three that can verify that. eek
blush Won't reveal his name on a Savage forum as he is not ready to come out at this time. GW wink

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had one (a plain grade) for a spell 20+ years ago. I rather liked it, but got tired of being belted with each pull of the trigger. Kind of wish I hadn't got rid of it though. Only thing I killed with it was a groundhog, and since big game hunting such as to justify a mule killer like that wasn't in the cards, away it went. That's pretty much why I never owned a magnum of any sort too.

Nothing wrong with Browning/Winchester lever guns. Fit and finish is better than the average post-mil 99 in any event.

I like a lot of different guns, Savages being just one of them. I can't imagine limiting myself to one make/style of gun- I would get bored pretty quickly. That pretty much describes my take on women, too. smile Besides, more than one of the regulars here has posted about non-Savage rifles in the past, what's the big deal?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/29/15.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.