Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah, all he's doing is "talking" about his hunt. We talk about our hunts all the time and I've never seen anybody on here being accused of illegal activity.

The guy writes articles and books for money, and is obviously a huge self promoter of his blog. The guys who buy his books get invited up for a guided, but not guided caribou hunt, as "friends"? Yeah, nothing fishy going on there. Do you think that a person promoting a book, website, or articles by taking guys he met off the internet hunting and providing a place for them to stay is profiting off Alaskan fish and game and be licensed to do so?

BTW, the "friend" thing gets used here in SE frequently. Troopers have been chasing around "friend" guides and have made a few cases in my area. This is nothing new. And I'm not talking about guys who have legitimate friends who come up. That's fine.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Yeah, all he's doing is "talking" about his hunt. We talk about our hunts all the time and I've never seen anybody on here being accused of illegal activity.

The guy writes articles and books for money, and is obviously a huge self promoter of his blog. The guys who buy his books get invited up for a guided, but not guided caribou hunt, as "friends"? Yeah, nothing fishy going on there. Do you think that a person promoting a book, website, or articles by taking guys he met off the internet hunting and providing a place for them to stay is profiting off Alaskan fish and game and be licensed to do so?

BTW, the "friend" thing gets used here in SE frequently. Troopers have been chasing around "friend" guides and have made a few cases in my area. This is nothing new. And I'm not talking about guys who have legitimate friends who come up. That's fine.

How do you know they are not legitimate friends? All we know is what's written in this thread and on his website.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How do you know they are not legitimate friends?

I for one hope they are. Each animal crossing state lines is a 2 year minimum sentence per lacy act violation. Of course the first one to turn states evidence gets off scott free grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Calvin

How do you know they are not legitimate friends? All we know is what's written in this thread and on his website.

He said specifically, written on this forum, that they were people who had bought his book. They are people who he has done business with or is looking to currently do business with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what?

I've bought books and videos from a guy in Fairbanks that runs an outdoor website and have been hunting with him.

You guys go ahead and alert the troopers, I'm out of this one.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Oh, Boy. Larry's in trouble now.
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
"Cal is starting to sound a little fishy to me. Is he they type that invites guys up, and then gets them to pay for everything (food, fuel, etc), and does this fake "guiding" to get free fly out hunts every year? Perhaps the troopers should investigate his ass."

Calvin:
Where did you get the notion others pay for my hunting trips? Being the optimist I will speculate you made an assumption that is incorrect. Bing a writer takes me into contact with many around the nation and the world. I've published five books. Two are out of print. They sell well in the very small world of double rifles but, trust me, sales are far behind those of Palin. Troopers have dropped in on my camp before and they are gentlemen and I've had no problems with them nor they with me. As to hunting with friends, allow me to put it in perspective. In the last four years seven gents have come hunting with me--both from Alaska and from the Lower 48. A few more than that number have flown up to visit one of the double rifle shoots. Some rent a car and hotel in the city and a few stay at my home. The folks I've become acquainted with have become friends. I've hunted Australia three times and Africa 14. Many times I stay with friends while there and they stay at my home when here. Some are Americans who I shared a hunting camp with overseas. But when they come here they pay their own way and I pay mine. Again I have no clue where you got the idea I was guiding for a free trip. If it was an assumption that was in error, I hope I cleared things up. If it was to change the focus of the original intent of this thread, well, it was a noble effort. Perhaps your are good friends with Bob and Mike?

"Yeah, all he's doing is "talking" about his hunt. We talk about our hunts all the time and I've never seen anybody on here being accused of illegal activity.

BTW, the "friend" thing gets used here in SE frequently. Troopers have been chasing around "friend" guides and have made a few cases in my area. This is nothing new. And I'm not talking about guys who have legitimate friends who come up. That's fine."

Calvin:
Promotion, either self or otherwise is not a bad thing. It costs nothing to view my website and I've just started putting videos on there of my double rifle experiences. Again, no charge--I just like begin involved in the double rifle world as it is my passion. Yes, I sell a few books but it is a very limited audience I am targeting. And again, I profit nothing from any time folks have visited me and the friends who have come up remain so. In closing, Calvin, don't get wound too tight over incorrect speculation. In turn, my original post was not speculation but documented and witnessed fact. Should you be in the area in late May, please stop by and join us for a double rifle shoot. Where can one see 20-30 of the finest firearms on earth in one place, calibers from .300 up to .600, and on to the mighty 4-bore? And, shoot them, too. In the interim, enjoy my site and the rifles and trophies shown.

Let me add one more thing so you don't continue to think I am a "guide" who gets hunts for free. The the last four years I've taken a few caribou (with a .450-400) and one moose (with a .600). In 1988-91 I shot a few caribou and two moose, and in 2003-4 one caribou and one grizzly (.450 no2). I don't hunt much in Alaska. Just once in a while for something to do with a double rifle.

Anyway, I hope I cleared the air a bit as to my activities. My "ass" is not worried about any investigation.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well i havent flown with 70 degrees and likely wont now that they sound fishy. But i dont see the problem charging hunters differently. I mean you sell different ways. Cold phone calls might get a hourly rate while sports show prices or promotions would be flat rate. And its common for charters up here to charge different rates depending on the risk of the landing strip. Personally i will only fly flat rate no pickup charge. So i do a lot of walk in hunts! Oh and i think the owner who fkes positive posts and doesnt have the guts to use his real name is a coward.

Last edited by sollybug; 02/06/15.
X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
"As far as unhappy sheep hunters goes,, not everyone that takes a rifle into the mountains are "sheep hunters" I have always seemed to find one or two".

Yes, you have found a few. You fly up to the Brooks and shoot rat's every year to stroke your ego. You have done nothing special and you are nothing special. Let me guess you had a hard time finding one to shoot this year, Am I correct? And if you did you had to count rings. I'm not saying one shouldnt shoot a legal ram but come on man atleast save some for your grand kids and those who have not had the opertunity to hunt them.
I too own a SC and insurance for wheels is just over 2400 bucks a year for 80k worth of hull coverage , double that if your on floats.

I will however agree with you on the fact the 70 N are good people.

Last edited by xeyes; 02/08/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by samson
I have made dozens and dozens of fly in hunts in Alaska with many different flying services. (over a dozen in the Brooks Range and on the North Slope alone). I have never flown with any flying service that is more honest and was treated more fair than Seventy Degrees North. I have flown with close to a hundred small plane pilots and it is my observation that Mike and Bob are excellent pilots with safety as their major concern. Their care for their clients before and after the schedule trips is above and beyond what is expected.
I don't understand when a person agrees to the terms of the cost of the transportation for a hunting trip and the service was provided as stated in the agreement, then complain afterwards.

Extra flight ='s extra $
No extra flight ='s no extra dollars, numbnuts !

I also find it unbelievably coincidental that this was/is your first post on this site !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Interesting that Samson as a new member just happens to pick this subject to do his first post . . . his motive for being here?

Guess I shoulda kept reading, before starting to type.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
It seems this would be as easy to take care of as disputing the charge with your credit card company, they will nearly always back you up based on your word alone.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Gatogrizz27:
Thanks for the thought, however 70North is a cash only, no receipt business (at least in my experience). I've only one hand written receipt and none for the extra 1500$ I was charged. I've been with them four years.
I tried to discuss with the owners but no luck. The BBB and AG and no luck, either, however a new name appeared on their LLC and the Attorney General will contact that gent for resolution.
Cheers,
Cal

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
That's unfortunate, it seems odd to me that they would expect clients to travel as far as many do with that much cash on their person. Did they refuse to fly you out unless you paid the extra $1,500? What would they do if you lost your wallet or didn't happen to bring enough? It's not as if this is some hole in the wall restaurant, credit cards are the norm nowadays, even out in the boonies.

While it is perfectly legal to do business in cash, given their reputation here a mention of the IRS might be enough to sway them to refund your non-existent flight. I absolutely despise fighting with people over my money, and I tend to get rather nasty about it if they ignore me repeatedly.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Having cash in the Alaskan bush is very common. One might almost say "normal."

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Gatorgrizz:
The $1500 charge was after the flights to bring us in, but there was no extra meat haul. We disputed the charge but the manager was firm that we owed the money. We paid it for several reasons: I always want to be on the right side of the law and didn't want to be stopped by the troopers on the 750-mile drive home, we needed some gas from the flight service as they asked me to drive an hour farther north to save them flight time and that put my tank a bit low. Third, is they possibly could have held my meat and antlers. Anyway, it is better to work this through the courts as this is the only option remaining due to the lack of communication from 70North. Between prior case law and emails from Mike and the manager's words to the three of us it should work out fine. Also, I have spoken with the IRS.

I agree with your last sentence. The BBB, AG, any myself made 9 attempts that were all ignored and one gent on the hunt called and was hung up on twice. His third call was taken and he took notes on the convoluted explanation.
Cheers,
Cal

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Cal_Pappas
Gatogrizz27:
Thanks for the thought, however 70North is a cash only, no receipt business (at least in my experience). I've only one hand written receipt and none for the extra 1500$ I was charged. I've been with them four years.
I tried to discuss with the owners but no luck. The BBB and AG and no luck, either, however a new name appeared on their LLC and the Attorney General will contact that gent for resolution.
Cheers,
Cal

Who would pay for services and get no reciept, cash or not?

Pretty much would leave it as your word vs their word what was charged vs what was paid....

I just would use anotehr service no matter how good they might be.

Its one thing to supposedly overcharge, its another to be dumb enough to pay without any proof of paying....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Gentlemen:
The matter of my flight with 70 North Air Taxi has been resolved to my 100% satisfaction. I will make no further posts on the issue.
Thank you all.
Cal

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nicely done and good on you for taking the high road.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.