Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I believe there were several patent lawsuits between Swarovski and Leica, to engage the patent laws in different countries. I read somewhere that Leica won in one of the continental countries, but that Swarovski won in Great Britain, hence the Leica Magnus line cannot be sold in GB.

Someone else may be more current on this. Since Swarovski has pursued these patent suits in several countries, they'll certainly try to protect their patent in the United States.

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It was my understanding the Leica could not sell or advertise the Magnus line in the US. Thus the ER line was born. Now, the Leica USA website is showing the Magnus line. My guess is they are coming to the USA.

The original ER line was made in Germany, the ERi Portugal and now the ER5 USA. Which is surprising for two reasons. First, Leica sells on the fact that all their products except for some cameras that are made by Panasonic are made in house 100%. Second, the last time Leica farmed out a scope to Leupold is was a complete failure. I hope that history does not repeat its self.

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, Leica has their own manufacturing plant in Portugal and to my knowledge always has. I hear what you are saying about where their products are actually assembled but this has been going on since the beginning of time. To my knowledge, Leica's bino's and spotters have always been assembled in their plant in Portugal. I have the original Leica ER scope and it says on the box, Made in Germany. As you said, I believe the newer ERi line are assembled in Portugal by a Leica owned plant. Meopta, one of the largest OEM's in the world, has been making all kinds of scopes, bino's and spotters for big name companies for years..ie the original Conquest line had the bulk of the Conquest parts made by Meopta, with only the erector assembly made by Zeiss, and simply had all the components sent to a USA assembly plant for final assembly. Another well known euro makers of bino's had their entire bino made in Japan and only assembled the bino outter cover or shell in Austria. I could go on and on, but today's products are a collection of world wide assembly. Lastly, the Zeiss Terra bino's are made in China but the Terra rifescope line is made in Japan. I have very, very little doubt that the newer Leica ERi scopes will be made with the kind of precision and superlative optics we've come to expect fro a Leica product. Zeiss has glass making making plants all over the world, and yes, even in China.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LOL you never know what you're buying...who can keep up with all this? grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Yes, Leica has had their plant in Portugal from at least late 80's. I have a pair of BCA that I bought late 80's and now a Geovid from there. While I would prefer everything Leica be made in Germany, I understand cost control. My point being Leica selling point was 100% Leica owned and controlled, unlike Zeiss and Swaro. Unless they built a plant in the USA, they lose that selling point and they lose Leica quality control and risk their reputation as the worlds finest optics company.

My guess on the ER5 is Meopta.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 02/03/15.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

ER 5, 2-10-X 50 Does it have a zero stop ?

ER 5, 2-10-X 50 Can you make more than one revolution with the turret ?

I like the looks of this scope. Just looking for more information.

Thanks

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You could be right about Meopta. They made the Conquest (as RD said), and the Zeiss diascope spotters for a few years. They also made the Leica spotters for a while, and currently make the Nightforce spotter, so who knows. One thing I do know is that, no offense intended to anyone, that I'd buy a Meopta product over a Leica or Zeiss product any day of the week and several times on Sundays.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the tip JG

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have two of the 2-1/2-10x42 ER Leica's. One is a 50015 IBS reticle and the other is a 50024 BDD reticle. They both are marked: Made In Germany. I would rate the optics as equivalent or better than any other scopes that I own

I currently own (10) riflescopes including: Zeiss, Kahles, Swarovski, Minox (HD) and of course, Leica. EuroOptic currently has these Leica scopes on sale as they have been replaced by the ER5 scopes, made in the US.

Specs on the Leica ER scopes are as follows:
Scope Weight: 15.1 oz.
•Scope Length: 12.5" - 13"
•Magnification Range: 2.5-10x
•Scope Objective Diameter: 42 mm
•Scope Tube Size / Mount: 30 mm
•Scope Turret Adjustment: .25 MOA
•Reticle Position: second
•Field of View: 43.5' @ 100 yds.
•Eye Relief: 3.94"
•Illuminated Reticle: no
•Scope Finish: matte black

Last edited by Oldtrader3; 07/13/15.

CDR3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bumping this one after a few years. And another RIP to RDFinn.

Just got notification from a nice gentleman @ Leica – appears the ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, after two years of waiting since it was announced, finally died on the vine before officially being offered. Grrrrr.

No wonder Leica can seemingly never get traction in the scope market. And I was excited about this one.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by SKane
Bumping this one after a few years. And another RIP to RDFinn.

Just got notification from a nice gentleman @ Leica – appears the ER 5 1.5-8 x 32, after two years of waiting since it was announced, finally died on the vine before officially being offered. Grrrrr.

No wonder Leica can seemingly never get traction in the scope market. And I was excited about this one.

Doug has the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32 on discount. I went with one 2 years ago. Great glass,I highly recommend one.

M
M
With regards to Leica and Portugal . I have a pair of Leitz ( Leica) Trinovid binoculars from the early 1980s made in Portugal. So they have been doing it for a long time. I also have 3 Leica 2.5x10 ERs and 3 of the 2.5x10ERis . Very happy with them .

Mark

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Doug has the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32 on discount. I went with one 2 years ago. Great glass,I highly recommend one.

I've considered it, I just can't bring myself to do so.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Well, I know it's an old thread that was recently revived, but if anyone thought the reticles were too thin a few years ago, Leica did listen. I have a n ER5 2-10x50 with a 4-a. At 10x, it covers 0.5" at 100 yards, and the distance between the heavy posts is only 36". I've only had it a day (a vendor moved the remaining models at half price, and I got the very last 2-10x!), but so far, I am impressed. I'll check it out more in the coming weeks.

But if any of you find a good deal on one and had reservations about the reticle, let's just say that the 4-a in this model is simply outstanding for low light.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.