Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I PM'd this to a respected member and he suggested I post it. So here goes:

What is your favorite stock for a P64 and why?

My p64 sits in a B&C and I don't like it. Weight of the stock is 2lbs even. My 7x57 FN M70 sits in a McM Bridges pattern, which I do like a lot (very similar to a Supergrade) and is 1oz lighter than the B&C - big whoop. Those Compact Edges weight is not given for the normal fill but I suspect it's around 1.5 or 1.75 lbs.

All of that said - which stock do you like and why? Do you think a P64 standard will balance well in a compact hunter stock?

Thanks for your time and thoughts. I'd rather not order the wrong $600 stock. smile

Jeff

Last edited by Paradiddle; 01/29/15.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

what caliber/barrel is your P64?
the non edge compact I have weighed just over 28 oz. w/a 1" pad.
For most standards my top choice would likely be a mcm echols legend. If you had a fwt then the compact is the ticket.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Not absolutely certain but, believe that the Edge on my M70 comes in at 21oz.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Mine is a 30-06 standard grade. It's not just weight as the M70 is not a svelte action - it's overall feel and balance.

What is your favorite stock as a "total package" is more the question.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA is your huckleberry. very best winpoor

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk

what caliber/barrel is your P64?
the non edge compact I have weighed just over 28 oz. w/a 1" pad.
For most standards my top choice would likely be a mcm echols legend. If you had a fwt then the compact is the ticket.

Agree with Randy in the McMillan line up. IMO the Compact Edge is too weeny for a std grade M70. In a std rifle up to 30/06 I would use Darcy's stock with Edge.

In 300 H&H or WM,338,375 H&H, I would use the legend with standard or magnum fill.

Just got an email back from Mark Brown and one pre 64 FW 270 I have is shipping to Brown Precision for a Pound'R. This will be my second go round with a Pound'r stocked 270 that I hunted with since the late 80's....I still have not found anything better for a pre 64 FW.

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/30/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
BobinNH,

A couple of questions about the Pre .270 Fwt with Pound'R:
- Do you stay with aluminum bottom metal?
- What is the finished weight sans scope?
- What scope and mounts do you prefer and what is the weight "all up" unloaded, no sling?

I'm doing a Classic Stainless .270 Fwt. in a Banser High Tech. I am deciding between blind magazine and Pacific Gauge and Tool (tool and gauge?) aluminum bottom metal. (Obviosly, you need a trigger guard either way.)

Thanks for any reply,
Gun Doc

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I know you fellows are only considering the synthetics, but being a wood guy, I'm wondering what have been the circumstances in which a factory original, when probably weather treated on the inside, has failed you while hunting? I see nothing un-attractive with either a low comb or hi-comb factory unit. And with the magnums in .338 and up, I've never seen a more attractive pad than the factory red solid unit. They look so "right" to me.

Thanks in advance.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite stock for a pre-'64 FWT is a factory stock which has been modified by the addition of a recoil pad. Because that makes it affordable. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
I know you fellows are only considering the synthetics, but being a wood guy, I'm wondering what have been the circumstances in which a factory original, when probably weather treated on the inside, has failed you while hunting? I see nothing un-attractive with either a low comb or hi-comb factory unit. And with the magnums in .338 and up, I've never seen a more attractive pad than the factory red solid unit. They look so "right" to me.

Thanks in advance.

I agree. Love the wood. I am currently experimenting with my 338 Alaskan. I procured a rough inletted ( no barrel channel VERY rough action area) walnut a year ago and I am in the final stages of inletting. I have pillared it, and the entire action area is bedded with marine tex. Even the slot the trigger shoe fits through. Currently it is free floated from recoil lug forward.

So once I get it finished and checkered, i plan on zeroing it, then subjecting it to water intrusion with a spray bottle. Letting it sit soaking wet, allow the water to be absorbed if possible, and then shoot it again side by side with the original groups.

Not really scientific, but fun nonetheless.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
BobinNH,

- What scope and mounts do you prefer and what is the weight "all up" unloaded, no sling?

I'm doing a Classic Stainless .270 Fwt. in a Banser High Tech. I am deciding between blind magazine and Pacific Gauge and Tool (tool and gauge?) aluminum bottom metal. (Obviosly, you need a trigger guard either way.)

Thanks for any reply,
Gun Doc

Gun Doc, are you opting for the Bansner that is Miller (David) designed? That is the one I'd go for in a Bansner. I'd appreciate a pic of your rifle when finished, good for reference material for future "projects".(there is always one more!)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BobinNH,

Thanks for any reply,
Gun Doc

GunDoc: I can't tell you the weight of the individual components because I never did it that way...I go by feel. But on the 270 pre FW, I use the factory ally bottom metal. Not as pretty but works fine. I had a 1/2" lightweight Brown pad. For scope and mounts I have mostly used a Leupold DD mount and low rings. I used mostly a 4X Leupold (later I have used a 6x36).

Empty, no sling, the rifle came in at about 6 pounds 14 oz. My old PoundR recently got sold. It was on barrel #3 and I screwed up on the contour and did not like it anymore. It did not feel the same as the original M70 FW contour, or the Krieger #1 that replaced it. The pad was dissolving and melting and after running it since the 80's I figured time to move along.

The PoundR is made of kevlar...hard to work, expensive, VERY stiff. There is no "floppy" with that stock.

I have another here anyway in a Compact Edge, 2.5-8X Leupold. It is great but not quite as light as a PoundR.
That's OK they will both be fine.

It's a game of ounces....your Bansner will be fine' like the Edge compact I think. have had those too but on 7 mags.

i would go with the PTAG bottom metal to save weight.....don't like blind magazines myself and avoid them if possible.

Keep scope and mounts light,simple, and strong.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Favourites:

1.-Pacific Research/Borden Rimrock, have several.

2.- Bridges Micky

3.- Micky Compact Edge

4- MPI Dakota Classic style with cheekpiece

I have/have had many others, but, prefer these with the Rimrock probably my first pick.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by patbrennan
BobinNH,

Thanks for any reply,
Gun Doc

Gun Doc, are you opting for the Bansner that is Miller (David) designed? That is the one I'd go for in a Bansner. I'd appreciate a pic of your rifle when finished, good for reference material for future "projects".(there is always one more!)

I honestly don't know who designed the stock. This is a project that has been on the back burner FAR to long and needs to get finished! I will post pics when done, but don't hold your breath!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Also, bobinNH, thanks for the reply!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm probably an old fart, but I do not and will not own a rifle in other than a wood stock. Preferably walnut, but in the middle years when the '94's were stocked in fruit-wood, that's OK. But an original wooden stock is my requirement.
yooper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SNAP
Favourites:

1.-Pacific Research/Borden Rimrock, have several.

2.- Bridges Micky

3.- Micky Compact Edge

4- MPI Dakota Classic style with cheekpiece

I have/have had many others, but, prefer these with the Rimrock probably my first pick.

Kute, I had both standard and fwt M70 Rimrocks about 15 years ago... I found the stock a bit big for the fwt barrel.

Is yours on a standard or fwt M70?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Brad, my last .30-06, a pristine Fwt-P64 is in an original Pac. Research version, I have had this since 1993.

My original .375 and .300 H&H, VERY choice specimens of original P-64s. are in Borden-Rimrocks, which makes these into FAR superior rifles to the factory crap wooden clubs.

The most "minty" of my original matched pair "Alaskan" .338WMs are in Borden-Rimrocks and these are my pick as the best serious hunting/wilderness working rifles/cartridges ever produced in the USA.

Finally, I have one of my pair of original Brno ZG-47s, factory 9.3x62s, in the last B-R I managed to find (here on 24hr.), a HUGE improvement over that "hockey stick" the factory hung on this superb barreled action.

I prefer a Micky Edge MKX for Fwts, by a small margin, for weight, but, I wish Rimrocks were still available.

I am very pleased, however, with the MPI installed by Dakota, on the second 76 Classic-.38WM I have, purchased last summer and in the Dakota style, which fits me well. So, I will probably go with these and Mickies in any future builds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Para, here's the most informative thread on various M70 stocks you will be able to find.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2639753/1

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dewey, I just find the forearm of the Pacific Stock far too large for a 22" Fwt barrel, but differences make the world go round! The Borden/Pacific is a pretty large stock. on the order of D'Arcy's Legend stock.

For me a 10" forearm is the absolute end of the game for a 22" barrel, and really prefer slightly shorter.

Too bad the McMillan Hunters Edge Compact doesn't have a higher, straight comb!

Hard to believe in this day and age the antiquated patterns McMillan comes up with...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 68 invisible), 3,530 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.