Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't keep up with all the latest gee-whiz toys in the black gun world but I know some of you do. So please use some of your knowledge to help me get a rifle put together.

What I'm looking for is a 5.56mm, AR platform rifle that would be on hand in case things got really bad (riots, natural disasters, etc.). It would be the main defense weapon in a suburban setting. Tell me what rifle, sighting system(s), and useful add-ons that would combine to fill the need. Cost is not an issue but reliability, shoot-ability, toughness and reliability (again) are paramount.

Thanks, RS

ARIC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
get palmetto blemished upper and lower stripped,
ptac BCG, or a rock river chrome BCG, if you want a little nicer
rock river parts kit with varmint trigger,
sopmod stock, magpul STR, B5, RRA operator stock
misc upper parts don't really matter,
hogue grip
midwest industries gen 2 SS float tube.

thats the basic setup there. the rest is barrel, I like a midweight barrel, or if you want a 20" barrel I like a hybrid contour, like criterion sells, lilja ar 740, black hole LTR etc. for an all around rifle I like 18" barrel length, midway has an AR stoner fluted 18" barrel that is pretty handy, as for optics a 3x9 scope or 2-7 scope of your choice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would buy a Noveske factory rifle and put an Aimpoint scope on it. Both well made and always dependable. No Frankenguns for me in a crisis.

Huge plus, if you go to sell it, the Noveske, or other quality factory guns will have a line of buyers wanting it, Frankenguns, not so much.

Last edited by martineta; 01/29/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hand cash over the counter and get a Colt LE6920, Daniel Defense M4V5, KAC SR-15, LMT CQB, etc....Get a set of folding irons, a light, two point sling, and a 1-4 or 1-6 scope and you are good to go.

Last edited by wareagle700; 01/29/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just get something you can hunt and target shoot with. In the scenario you have described the police and/or military will confiscate it from you before you have a chance to act out your Red Dawn fantasy.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by sherp
Just get something you can hunt and target shoot with. In the scenario you have described the police and/or military will confiscate it from you before you have a chance to act out your Red Dawn fantasy.

Please reserve your sarcasm for the main forum.

In the lower forums your act is not appreciated and is not helpful.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

There is no sarcasm. He should get something he will enjoy shooting at targets and game since the weapon would be removed from him by LE/MIL during the scenario he is concerned with.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

There is no sarcasm. He should get something he will enjoy shooting at targets and game since the weapon would be removed from him by LE/MIL during the scenario he is concerned with.

Sherp, I asked you as a gentlemen,

And I will ask you one more time as a gentleman,

Take your sarcastic stick to the main forum where it belongs.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Once again, no sarcasm. You aren't being a gentleman because you are trying to foment his delusion and a gentleman wouldn't do that.

Why does it bother you LE/MIL would take his rifle from him before he could act out his fantasy?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A Colt rifle or carbine with an ACOG optic would make a sensible and reliable weapon.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Once again, no sarcasm. You aren't being a gentleman because you are trying to foment his delusion and a gentleman wouldn't do that.

Why does it bother you LE/MIL would take his rifle from him before he could act out his fantasy?

Now you are just being a disingenuous liar, and you know it.

I can tell you've never studies Economics. Within Economics, is The Law of Diminishing Returns".

When you are hungry, and you eat something you enjoy, the first bite is the best, but with each successive bit, your enjoyment is less then the previous. As you continue you reach a point where each additional bite adds no new pleasure, and in fact causes displeasure, to the point where eventually throw up.

The Law of Diminishing Returns also applies to Political Sarcasm. Where applied appropriately, it can be appropriate, effective, and even humorous. But there comes a point where you are none of the above, and you become a sycophant troll.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I can tell you've never studies Economics. Within Economics, is The Law of Diminishing Returns".

When you are hungry, and you eat something you enjoy, the first bite is the best, but with each successive bit, your enjoyment is less then the previous. As you continue you reach a point where each additional bite adds no new pleasure, and in fact causes displeasure, to the point where eventually throw up.

The Law of Diminishing Returns also applies to Political Sarcasm. Where applied appropriately, it can be appropriate, effective, and even humorous. But there comes a point where you are none of the above, and you become a sycophant troll.

The only economic issue we need to address concerning this thread is the loss of money he will have when the rifle he wants to acquire is taken by LE/MIL during the early stages of the scenario he wants to buy it for.

Why do you not want him to be aware of that reality?

Once again, ZERO sarcasm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Take_a_pee, what's your next user name to get banned here?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Get a set of folding irons, a light, two point sling, and a 1-4 or 1-6 scope and you are good to go.

The scope part can't be emphasized enough. The scope has it all over irons or dots when targets are small (like a foot sticking out from behind a barrier @ 100 yds), the light is bad, or the target doesn't offer much contrast to the background. Even a shotgun scope like a 2-7x would be fine if you are on a budget.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I am sherp and sherp only.

Shouldn't you be banned for being wrong and/or dishonest instead?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never understood why people seem to think the factory crap AR's they turn out are better than a AR you build yourself . When you build you don't cut corners like the factory does to save money unless you just choose to . I wouldn't trade one of my own build for any factory AR regardless of the maker, high end maker or low end maker. Halve the price you pay for a factory AR is just for the brand name. I would stake my life on my own builds any day .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bea175
I have never understood why people seem to think the factory crap AR's they turn out are better than a AR you build yourself . When you build you don't cut corners like the factory does to save money unless you just choose to . I wouldn't trade one of my own build for any factory AR regardless of the maker, high end maker or low end maker. Halve the price you pay for a factory AR is just for the brand name. I would stake my life on my own builds any day .

Many people who build their own rifles cut corners also. To say a franken gun is less reliable than a factory gun would be like saying reloaded ammo is less accurate and more prone to misfires than factory ammo. It's a generalized statement that only applies to those who don't know what they are doing.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Did take-a-knee get the ban stick? I didn't know.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A

The only economic issue we need to address concerning this thread is the loss of money he will have when the rifle he wants to acquire is taken by LE/MIL during the early stages of the scenario he wants to buy it for.

Why do you not want him to be aware of that reality?

Once again, ZERO sarcasm.

How can you be so [bleep] stupid?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TC1

Did take-a-knee get the ban stick? I didn't know.

I believe TAK has returned as 'glocktard'.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
136 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 17 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.