Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I still enjoy driving a manual. I used to own the last full size blazer made with a manual transmission. I ordered it and had to wait 6 months before they would build it. It was the last one off the production line before they became known as Tahoes. I have a 2012 tacoma with 5 speed. The only downside is Toyota has used cheap clutches and pressure plates for many years. I just replaced mine at 37K miles. Toyota would have done it under warranty at 36K. Just my luck I got an extra 1K out of it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I still enjoy driving a manual. I used to own the last full size blazer made with a manual transmission. I ordered it and had to wait 6 months before they would build it. It was the last one off the production line before they became known as Tahoes. I have a 2012 tacoma with 5 speed. The only downside is Toyota has used cheap clutches and pressure plates for many years. I just replaced mine at 37K miles. Toyota would have done it under warranty at 36K. Just my luck I got an extra 1K out of it.
Hmmmm. I have a 2005 V-6 with the six-speed manual and 255,000+ miles on the odometer and we are still on the clutch and pressure plate that came with it from the factory. Yours must be a 4-cylinder?

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yeah. The 6 speeds use a different clutch than the 5 speeds. A lot of people aren't even getting 5K miles before they start slipping. I guess I was unlucky to make it past the warranty. There is a TSB out for the 4cyl/5spd for 2005-2013 models. I guess it is cheaper for them to replace than to buy a better product.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can you put it in 3rd and start from a stop on ice? Can you lock it in 2nd or 3rd and lug it down to keep going up a hill in snow without a downshift? Will it allow you to rev to redline and hold if in above situation you find that full bore wide open is all that works and you cant stop or shift without getting stuck. If it will do all of those thats pretty cool. All the above is extreme but are real issues one will find. For normal everyday use any tranny will do, and an auto has some big appeal for many uses. I havent seen an auto that will allow that kind of abuse except an old style with a full manual valvebody. But I dont drive many of the latest vehicles.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think you can get one in a Tacoma.

“Lighten up Francis”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "stick shift" used to be cool in high school.

I ordered a 5 speed for a sports car.

These days the auto seems to have taken over.

I really like the way my auto downshifts on steep down hill drives. We drive in NW CT where there are some twisty roads with hills.

The 5 speed Chrysler 300 with a console shift works so well! cool

I can just ease the lever to the side and back. So smooth, easy, cool when in drive.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by micky
I think you can get one in a Tacoma.
The OP was looking for a 3/4 ton gasser. In that type, there are none any more.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Savage_99

I really like the way my auto downshifts on steep down hill drives. We drive in NW CT where there are some twisty roads with hills.

I can just ease the lever to the side and back. So smooth, easy, cool when in drive.

[Linked Image]

Yet you can't post a picture of anything you've actually hunted...

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

He been too busy huntin' for the right gears, is why. whistle

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone

[Linked Image]

Probably a dealer stock photo too, given the paper floor mats..............

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Automatics are starting to grow on me for the reasons stated: they hold speed on a down hill, and are easier on the ole body.

For serious work, and serious play, the manual is still the only way to go.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I,ll take an auto, our hill to work is a very extreme grade nothing like losing forward momentum, on a hill with water on ice, and then having truck stall in a manual.

With an auto you can maintain some semblance of limited control.

Also in big snow and sand you do not lose ground when you shift.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone

[Linked Image]

tzone,

What's the problem?

I have posted pictures of what I have hunted.

I was pointing out how enjoyable that 5 speed auto is. smile

The Porsche 5 speed only ran a few months before it's shift handle came out of the floor. The cup that held the ball at the other end wore out!

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
Copr.

cool

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great pictue taken in june. Do you hav any from anything you've shot?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tzone,

Yes I do. However I sense that you will not respond to a normal discourse and I am sending you to ignore.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
can you put it in 3rd and start from a stop on ice? Can you lock it in 2nd or 3rd and lug it down to keep going up a hill in snow without a downshift? Will it allow you to rev to redline and hold if in above situation you find that full bore wide open is all that works and you cant stop or shift without getting stuck. If it will do all of those thats pretty cool. All the above is extreme but are real issues one will find. For normal everyday use any tranny will do, and an auto has some big appeal for many uses. I havent seen an auto that will allow that kind of abuse except an old style with a full manual valvebody. But I dont drive many of the latest vehicles.

The Ford 6spd in the Superduty's will do all of what you described above in Manual mode.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will say this, you worry too much. The autos are not the auto trans your accustomed to 10 or`12 years ago. Used to be autos were mushy and acted like the vehicle was driving in sand. They are much tighter and more manual like no days. Add to that ALOT more reliability. I never hear any issues with the auto trans that are in either the superduty or the f150.

The advantage to a manual trans IMO was in the past they were simply just more reliable. If you have an auto thats just as reliable why not get it, unless its a mustang or corvette and you like to burn rubber every now and then. even then IMO when you get more than 5 gears in a hot rod its too much shifting and its not as fast as an auto.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For straight line acceleration an auto will beat a manual every time. Manual comes into its own when the computer does not know what to do. In my examples that horse1 responded to many auto's get confused and do the wrong thing for the conditions. Also when pushing a corner hard they will shift at a bad time or not be there when you punch the throttle. Know several experienced truck drivers that love the auto's almost all the time. But when one needs to do something"weird" they cant do it. The newbee drivers all love not having to shift, since they cant, and dont understand the finer points of driving.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ford's Super Duty 6spd in "M" manual mode will hold 1, 2, or 3 for as long as you'd like from a dead stop to bumping on the limiter and won't shift until you bump the "+/-" button on the shifter stalk, lugging or screaming makes no difference. In 4, 5, or 6, it will hold them up to the limiter if you're running hard, but, it will downshift past any/all of them if you lug too far. Case in point, you're running down the highway in M/6 and forget to downshift coming up the off ramp. If you have to start from a dead stop and do nothing, it downshifts to M/2 on it's own, then it'll hold M/2 until you start working through the gears on the "+/-" button again.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
291 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.