Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree and would rate them as an OK scope. I have an SII on my muzzleloader. For what I am using it for, it is fine but not sure I'd want it on my primary hunting rifle. I have had it for 5-6 years and it has never moved, been in some nasty weather and been fine, and is generally clear.

Last edited by JDK; 01/29/15.
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have an S2, 3-9x42 on my TC Omega. I bought it new several years back on closeout for $135 OTD. It has been a very good scope. I personally like the eye relief and eye box on mine. To me it seems very comparable to the older VX II's. Works great for my uses. For the money I have in mine, I don't think I could replace it for the same price.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My s2 3-9 has seen some rough duty on an old Ruger 30-06 dragged around by my son and nephew. It just keeps working without any adjustment required. Think of it as a boring Vx2 with a little less bright image, a little smaller eye box and probably better adjustments. The rimfire version on my 10/22 is just as boring it holds zero year in and year out. My friend who has his on a 30-06 is disappointed that it is so boring and just works - not a flashy scope at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i used a S2 6X HBR with fine cross hair on my 22 for years with out any issue. as stated above by others, tracking was great, never lost its zero and clarity was very good. i was using that rifle for range shooting only and have since refitted it with a smaller lighter scope for hunting/walking in the woods by my son.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard that their service department is lacking. I shoot with an online dealer, and he dropped them due to service. I have 4 Big Sky 6-24 silhouette specials, and they are excellent. A few years ago they were a bargain, but the price for that particular model drastically increased.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a problem with one, and they gave me the single worst case of service that I've ever experienced.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TheDude
Thats a long list....where do they fall in your hierarchy of scopes?

My very limited experience is with a single SII 3-9x42. I bought one several years ago out of curiosity and was sorely disappointed. To my eye, it was not as sharp, nor as bright as a Redfield Revolution. Eye relief was worse and the eyebox was terrible causing a complete "blackout" with the slightest movement. To me, they are very low in the hierarchy of hunting scopes, but I read plenty of good things about them over and over on the internet so clearly they appeal to some folks.

Perhaps their appeal is with non hunting applications...

I have the exact same scope and have the opposite experience. Maybe eyes, maybe QC? Who knows. My eyes arent even the same day to day.

I like a nice eye box and find no issue with the SII 3-9. I admit mine lives on the low power of that range.

The SII are a heck of a lot better than the SI, which I didnt like. When the sightrons go on sale they are a terrific value IMO.

While its not a scope, my sightron 8x32 binos have been the best bang for the buck of nearly ANY product i have purchased in recent memory. Outstanding for the price.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have only one Sightron. The SIII 8-32X56LRMOA. We have been beating on it for 3 years now. Other than the turrets turning a little too easy it has been flawless and rivals my 8.5-25 VX3 LRT scopes for image quality. Very pleasing to look through for extended time with no distortion and great color. It's on a long range custom Stiller Tac 338 Lapua built by Straight Shooter Supply and it is a tracking fiend. We have been mean to it. The knobs are scuffed to bright silver and the tube has some good scuffs but no dents. Two elk hunts and two dead elk at very long range both at the very last moments of legal shooting time. No interest in shooting game other than squirrels that far away again. Took a day and a half to get the one out. I think optically and tracking wise it walks all over the Viper PST line in about the same price range. I think the new VX6 will top it for sure but at a bit higher price.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
IMO the Big Skys view is as good as anybody's and their tracking is supposedly there also...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I look at Sightron like I do Vortex and Minox. No real advantage to anything they make over other brands that are already proven in the field. I've guided, or helped guide over 100 hunters in the past 11-12 years and I've never seen the first Sightron, Vortex, Nikon, or Minox rifle scope show up in camp.

Of the brands you mention here, I would absolutely, unequivocally, trust Sightron to track better than the rest.

I shoot with 2 guys who use 8-32x56 Sightron. Another guy has the 60X model. Myself and the president of our club run 8-32x56 NF NXS. I have looked through both SxS.

I would say the Sightron compares very favorably to the NXS for the price. Is it as good overall? No. Is it as tough? Probably not. But given the results obtained in multiple matches, a couple of the guys have done very well with them. I'm talking lots of rounds, over a period of years without a hitch. They seem to be repeatable and the glass certainly isn't bad. Given the price point of these 32X scopes, I can't come up with a high powered variable I would consider better for the same price. Or something that I would trust more if forced to buy something other than what I already use. I would have to consider them a bargain, much like my Weaver micro-trac target scopes. Granted, my experience with them is somewhat limited.

The SS I had tracked well also, but had "issues". But it would still also get consideration for the price.

That said, for "serious" shooting, the only scopes I currently run are fixed power Mark 4s, NF NXS, and fixed power micro-trac Weavers. All are consistently repeatable.

Other than a rimfire scope, I have no experience with Sightron hunting scopes.

Just my 2¢......

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well when I'm in Limpoppo on a $15k hunt or in Montana on a $6500 guided trophy Mule deer hunt I won't have a Sightron with me.

They are certainly equal to the very best of the Philipine optics of a few years back.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

I would say the Sightron compares very favorably to the NXS for the price. Is it as good overall? No. Is it as tough? Probably not. But given the results obtained in multiple matches, a couple of the guys have done very well with them.

I would agree with this. I have a Nightforce 8-32x56 NXS MOAR and a Sightron 8-32x56 LRMOA so I can compare them side by side. The glass in the Nightforce is slightly better but not by a whole lot, the Sightron's is certainly decent. They both track perfectly so no complaints on either there. The Nightforce is probably tougher but I haven't broken either so can't say for sure. It does feel better built. I'm not particularly fond of sightron's method of zeroing the turrets but it's adequate. The Nightforce reticle is illuminated and the Sightron isn't, but I never turn on the illumination anyway. The big difference is the lack of a zero stop on the Sightron which I really wish it had. All turret scopes should come with a zero stop standard in my opinion.

I like the Nightforce better but it cost 2.5X as much as the Sightron. I don't like it 2.5X as much though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A while back, I brought two rifles to our 600 yard benchrest match. One had a 12-42 nxs, one had a 10-50 SIII. Resolving 6mm bullet holes at 600 yards on a cloudy day is a pretty good test. Its just a sample of 2 scopes, but the SIII was just BARELY behind the NXS. And I bought these two when the SIII 10-50 was $700 new and the NXS was $1500 USED!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Comparing Sightron to Nightforce. This forum is the gift that keeps on giving. Sightron are junk. I had two, killed them both in short order. Maybe their target scopes are better...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Comparing Sightron to Nightforce. This forum is the gift that keeps on giving. Sightron are junk. I had two, killed them both in short order. Maybe their target scopes are better...

Which one did you have?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You had 2, but neither were the scopes in said comparisons (or even target scopes). Yet you run your mouth at people who actually did side by side comparisons.

This coming from the guy who recently asked "why are people so hung up on recoil lugs? All it does is keep an action from moving." laugh

You can't make this $hit up, as they say.

Once again proving, this place is full of more dumfuuks, that are too stupid to realize they are dumbfuuks, than any on the web.

YOU are the gift that keeps on giving................

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jsthntn247

Which one did you have?

I am going to guess the lower end S1, because they're all the same, right?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
the people that diss the upper end sightrons have likely never had one..low information parrots would be my guess, but hey , no offense intended to those who've had a one time bad experience with one..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkivory
the people that diss the upper end sightrons have likely never had one..low information parrots would be my guess

I agree.

I have no reason to tout Sightron. Don't even own one. But I can't lie about what I have seen them do..........

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I will say it again. Big Sky's and S3's are best bang for buck going in scopes IMO....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 53 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.