Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,471 of 1,842 1 2 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
So would my 7600 carbine! Perfect for that area.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
I grew up on Lake Vermilion (Tower end of the lake). Worked in that traffic infected TC area for too long. Retired a year and a half ago. Wife and I bought and moved to a place between Tower and Embarrass with some land and a pole barn for the toys ... life is good.

How far are you from "tickle belly hill"?

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave, my wife and I loved the video of Eener ice fishing!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was bored and digging back in the "archives" and stumbled across this:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/382694/1

In light of some recent birthday presents, I thought it was too cool not to share. smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Wow, I used to be a wordy sumbish.

grin

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
I grew up on Lake Vermilion (Tower end of the lake). Worked in that traffic infected TC area for too long. Retired a year and a half ago. Wife and I bought and moved to a place between Tower and Embarrass with some land and a pole barn for the toys ... life is good.

How far are you from "tickle belly hill"?

Dave, are your referring to the dirt road off of 135 that has the hill that drops off sharply over by Quicks and Herrings .. that teenagers used to drive and make the car fly? That road was closed after one of those jumps lost control and a teen died. I'm about 4 miles from there.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 01/29/15.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sad ending but not surprising. We used to jump off a railroad bridge into the Lester River in duluth. It's now fenced off for the same results.

I went by there a few years back and can't believe I used to do that! DAMN.... That's a Heckova drop. Not a chance I'd consider that now days!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That's the road, I thought about it after I wrote that last night and I seemed to remember an accident and a death. Terrible thing that happened there.

My dad's uncle lived not far from there, he's passed now.

When I was about 12 I caught a dandy rainbow trout out of the river behind the iron ore bar. (the old brewery building)

Keith, you may know the Couglar ridge road, that's where I used to deer hunt.

That area, (tower/soudan) between the old mines, the forest, lakes, islands, streams, rivers, hills... it was a place of adventure for a young boy. I wore out a lot of bicycle tires, wore the knees out of jeans way faster than I could grow out of them, come to think of it I think we simply wore our clothes out back then, nothing really lasted long enough to grow out of.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
But Tom, it is not a .300 Savage....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rooster7

In light of some recent birthday presents, I thought it was too cool not to share. smile

Wonder what I'll get for my upcoming birthday???

"I'm not crying!!"
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I wore out a lot of bicycle tires, wore the knees out of jeans way faster than I could grow out of them, come to think of it I think we simply wore our clothes out back then, nothing really lasted long enough to grow out of.

That's funny but I think you're right. Shoes too! Behind my dad's place, Saginaw or Pike Lake would probably be the closest towns, I had more forts, cabins, trails cut for the mini-bike. You name it, it was back there. There was a creek running through the woods. King's creek. It wasn't known by many but that sucker had some trout. Brookie's, a few rainbow's, and one time I caught a heckova Brown. Nothing EVER went back in the creek. It all came home.

When I was a bit older, I followed the creek back to a big beaver pond, with a hut in the middle. This thing was 4-5 acres (the pond) so I went all Huckfinn and thought it would be great to build a raft out of logs. Well...it's wasn't that great. grin

I also learned that no matter how much ass you hauled in 3/4 of a mile, when you break through the ice, alone, in January with cold temps, your pants aren't all that freeze. The good news was that I didn't really feel that ass-kickin I received for being back there alone on the ice.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mrsnortherndave

Diary Queen crouton cake? grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mmgravy
But Tom, it is not a .300 Savage....

It's a .300 Savage Improved. laugh

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Close, but no cigar!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mrsnortherndave

Pam,

I heard, "on the down low"/"QT", that;

Ma's getting a car !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

When I was about 12 I caught a dandy rainbow trout out of the river behind the iron ore bar. (the old brewery building)

Keith, you may know the Couglar ridge road, that's where I used to deer hunt.

That area, (tower/soudan) between the old mines, the forest, lakes, islands, streams, rivers, hills... it was a place of adventure for a young boy. I wore out a lot of bicycle tires, wore the knees out of jeans way faster than I could grow out of them, come to think of it I think we simply wore our clothes out back then, nothing really lasted long enough to grow out of.

Dave, my brother and I fished that river (East Two) farther upstream many times, as well. We also fished the West Two, which also held trout.

Couglar Ridge Road does not ring a bell; I don't see it on google map. That area is Kugler township; the townhall is right on the east side of the of hwy 135.

Darn the stuff we'd do back then, that parents wouldn't even consider letting their child do today. I road my bike hunderds of miles, including toting a single shot 20 gauge in a case sometimes. Rode 6 miles each way from out on Vermilion to play Little League baseball. Jumped from the top of Lee mine into the waters below ... must have been 60-70 feet ... looked like 500 when standing on the edge. Different time now; sometimes I think a time machine would be nice to have.

Also read your thread on the 9422; I've got a 1902 30-30 ... if only it could share all the deer camp stories it participated in.

Last edited by KeithNyst; 01/30/15.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I misspelled kugler.

I've jumped many times at Lee mine as well.

There are fish in that damn thing too, lol.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
One thing I learned as a kid exploring was there are fish almost everywhere. It wasn't very often I didn't have a fishing rod taped to the crossbar on my bike. If it had an inlet or a stream going out, I fished it. 1/2 the time there were only creek chubs in them but when you're a little kid it didn't matter much what I caught.

I was at a cabin that my aunt owned at one time near hayward,wi. I was riding my bike all over and saw a little spot over a stream that ran right through town, in the town of Seely. I had my rod and a few hooks in a small bag the hooked under my bike seat. I dug some worms, tied up and started to fish under this little foot bridge. I was hauling up 6-8" rainbows with nearly every cast. I mean, really piling up the fish. It started to get dark so I figured I'd start keeping a few and head back. I kept about 1/2 dozen and got a stick, ran it through the gills and out the mouth to carry em home, jumped on my bike and headed back.

When I got back there was some company there and I was proud as heck to show off my catch. Well when I explained where I caught them and how I did it the dude nearly went into convulsions. I guess it was a "no fishing" area on a class A trout stream, that was fly fishing only, catch and release, in the spots you could fish! Oops! grin

I was 10 or 11 and excited, so probably didn't see any signs if there were any.

So if you guys want to catch a pile of rainbows, I have a good spot. laugh

Last edited by tzone; 01/31/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lol, that is funny Tom!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some good news to report! My Pheasants Forever chapter was named MN Chapter of the Year last night for our accomplishments! If you remember, our biggest accomplishment was holding our first annual youth outdoor activity day where we had 542 kids show up. Pretty proud of the group considering we are a small chapter and beat out many larger chapters in the state. I believe there are 75 chapters in MN. Congrats to Douglas County PF! grin laugh

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Page 1,471 of 1,842 1 2 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.