Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JDK Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
New to this game. Planning on either Slick Tricks or Wasp Drones for a broad head. Trying to decide between feathers or plastic vanes. I have been told that 4 inch feathers typically are far more accurate and stabilize a fixed head better..

Last edited by JDK; 01/30/15.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Plastic helical twist drop away rest and properly tuned bow

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tuning is your key. Hell, there are some traditional shooters using 1.5" and 2" feathers with longbows and recurves, with EFOC set-ups and huge 2-bladed broadheads that work just fine.

If it's tuned properly, it'll shoot. If it's not, you're trying to compensate for the margin of error with larger vanes/feathers.

Start at the start; get it tuned, and then go from there.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used both, I am currently using Plastic and have recently shot my best ever with them.

One thought, just my observation. The Blazer vanes are less user friendly to get the glue to hold them to bare shafts. I've tried a number of different glues and they just do not hold up as well.

I used some vanes made by AAE max hunters and they stick much better. There must be some kind of plastic formulation that helps the AAE vanes adhere better.

When I re-fletch blazers I can often grab the vane and twist them off the shafts. When I try this with AAE vanes they will tear off at the base which remains glued to the shaft. That's quite a difference.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is nothing I have found that a 2" blazer vane at a 2-3� helical won't stabilize. When fletching blazers, clean bare shafts in a solution of Ajax and water. Let dry. Wipe with denatured alchohol. Acetone may be used to remove any glue residue on reflecth shafts. I use Flex Fletch Zing primer and locktite control gel glue. It welds blazers to carbon shafts

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the AAE vanes also - mainly because super glue gel works great on them. I use feathers with my Trad setups, just seems right with a recurve.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 4ager
Tuning is your key. Hell, there are some traditional shooters using 1.5" and 2" feathers with longbows and recurves, with EFOC set-ups and huge 2-bladed broadheads that work just fine.

If it's tuned properly, it'll shoot. If it's not, you're trying to compensate for the margin of error with larger vanes/feathers.

Start at the start; get it tuned, and then go from there.

I'm a trad shooter and you don't need EFOC to shoot small feathers. In fact I consider EFOC a shortcut to tuning. It's simply a way to make tuning easier at the expense of having softball trajectories.

When properly tuned , with good form and release you can accurately shoot bareshafts at 40 yards. You better not pluck the release though or you will miss by feet.

I use nothing but 125 grn tips and would use lighter if the 3D's I shoot would allow it. They have to try to make the playing field easier for those EFOC softball trajectories from guys shooting over 300 grns up front.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JDK
New to this game. Planning on either Slick Tricks or Wasp Drones for a broad head. Trying to decide between feathers or plastic vanes. I have been told that 4 inch feathers typically are far more accurate and stabilize a fixed head better..

Personally prefer plastic for compound either 3 or 4 inch and 5 inch feathers for my long bows

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JJHACK

One thought, just my observation. The Blazer vanes are less user friendly to get the glue to hold them to bare shafts. I've tried a number of different glues and they just do not hold up as well.

Try a superglue formulated for use on plastics - they have some solvent and/or adhesion promoters in them that let them "bite" the plastic. I've never had a Blazer come off; have to cut them off...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kcnboise
Originally Posted by JJHACK

Try a superglue formulated for use on plastics - they have some solvent and/or adhesion promoters in them that let them "bite" the plastic. I've never had a Blazer come off; have to cut them off...

How well does the fletch tape work? That's all I use with feathers with a dab of super glue at the front and back after they are set.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Feathers are much noisier. But its all I can use on my recurves so thats what we do.

On one of the cheater wheeled bows, I still have vanes on those, as do on cheater crossbows.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot 5 inch shields out of my recurves.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought all feathers came from Jewish family companies.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Feathers are much noisier. But its all I can use on my recurves so thats what we do.

On one of the cheater wheeled bows, I still have vanes on those, as do on cheater crossbows.

You can shoot vanes if you use an elevated rest, even with a recurve.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Would not shoot anything but a shelf with a recurve.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Would not shoot anything but a shelf with a recurve.

Why?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just because if going traditional, I go all the way back. Plus the bows shoot better for my eye with the arrow on top of the hand or very close to it.

One could shoot carbon, vanes, and mechanicals with a recurve I suppose...

I shoot cedar and 2 blade COC heads or 3 blade snuffers. If I were to start shooting my bows again, i'd probably be shooting cedar with stone heads.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just because if going traditional, I go all the way back. Plus the bows shoot better for my eye with the arrow on top of the hand or very close to it.

One could shoot carbon, vanes, and mechanicals with a recurve I suppose...

I shoot cedar and 2 blade COC heads or 3 blade snuffers. If I were to start shooting my bows again, i'd probably be shooting cedar with stone heads.

I don't have a problem with anything anyone wants to shoot. Whatever your conscious dictates is fine with me but I see the whole "not trad enough" thing as completely ridiculous.

My Trad bow bow is a technological marvel of 6 layers of FRP laminated together with high tech glue using one of the most modern string materials ever developed yet, if I shoot off the shelf it's trad but a stick on rest isn't. It's very hypocritical IMHO.

Every bow and all materials used are extremely modern unless you went naked into the woods, chipped out a knife and fashioned a bow and arrows with only natural materials you killed and rendered in the wild. Even then, I drive to this trad shoot in my 2010 F150 crew cab.LOL

What about the shelf materials you use. Is it always brain tanned leather and glued on with hide glue. See my point?

Again, I am fine with people shooting whatever makes them happy. I just don't understand the "not trad enough" attitude.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Both work very well. Both have their pro and con.
I shoot mostly feathers and have for 20+ years.
However, I am hunting Alaska in May and expect rain, so I fletched up some plastic vanes.
If you are not fletching your own, I'd go with vanes, they last longer.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
2" Rayzr feathers from my Athens. Used to use Blazers but got tired of inconsistent bases, some flat some curved. Went to the Gateways and have no regrets. No noise at all from these 2" feathers and great fixed blade broadhead flight to 40 or so. A little shot of Scotchguard for waterproofing and that's it. Even fly good if torn, try that with plastic.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

577 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.