-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Moviegoers in Baghdad were on the edge of their seats while watching �American Sniper� � as the controversial war drama thrilled audiences in Iraq, where much of the film is set.
�When the sniper was hesitating to shoot [the child holding the RPG in the film�s first scene], everyone was yelling, �Just shoot him!�� Gaith Mohammed told the Global Post, adding that his theater was packed.
�Some people watching were just concentrating, but others were screaming, �F-ck, shoot him! He has an IED, don�t wait for permission!!��
Since the movie�s release, many people have objected to the film�s portrayal of Navy SEAL Chris Kyle � a man who described Iraqis as �savages� in his memoir.
But despite the debatable subject matter, audiences turned out in droves at the upscale Mansour Mall for one short week to see the Clint Eastwood biopic, the Global Post reported Thursday.
Management eventually put their foot down, though, and ended showings �because the hero of this film boasts of killing more than 160 Muslims,� according to a theater employee.

While the film obviously stirred controversy among locals, Iraqi moviegoers couldn�t get enough of the film, packing numerous showings during opening week, according to the Global Post.
�I love watching war movies because especially now they give me the strength to face ISIS,� Mohammed said.
Crowds swarmed the cinemas throughout the week and most of the showings were sold out, according to the Global Post.
People were even forced to book their tickets a day in advance during opening week, Mohammed said. When asked if he thought the movie was racist or anti-Arab, the young man �roughly in his 20s � replied, �No, why? The sniper was killing terrorists, the only thing that bothered me was when he said he didn�t know anything about the Quran!�
Modal Trigger
The film about Chris Kyle went down surprisingly well with audiences in Iraq.
Photo: AP
�[Kyle] was a hero and he went through difficult training,� student Omar Jalal added, saying he believed Kyle was simply serving his country. �Besides � it�s just a movie, and I like war movies. If they are true or not, whatever!�
Others weren�t so accepting of the film�s �hero� or its highly debatable content.
�To some extent, I considered it against all Muslims,� said Wael, a government ministry employee. �The sniper, he has a chance to hit the child and his mother in their foot [during the opening scene] or anywhere without killing them, but he didn�t because he�s bloodthirsty like all the American troops.�
Wael added that he was only giving his first name because he fears that speaking out about the film could put his life in jeopardy.
While some may be surprised by how popular �American Sniper� was in the Middle East, Iraqi filmmaker Mohamed Al-Daradji believes it makes perfect sense.
�When Iraqis see a film [about war], they�ll be engaged in it because they feel part of them is there,� he explained. �That�s why we Iraqi filmmakers have to make films about Iraqi people.�

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting post.

..and another example of how complicated reality really is....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this jumped out at me

�I love watching war movies because especially now they give me the strength to face ISIS,� Mohammed said.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess a lot of them feel like the types Kyle was shooting were the same types as ISIS today.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good one E.T.- Thanks.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm encouraged to see this but still highly skeptical as it's way past time for Iraqi's to play the courage card in their high stakes game of survival.Rooting out Al Qaeda/Isis and keeping them on the run is the best honor they could bestow on US/coalition forces KIA or wounded in their backyards.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
I guess a lot of them feel like the types Kyle was shooting were the same types as ISIS today.
'

well they are. Isis is an offshoot of the guys that were fighting with al-Zarqawi and once we dialed in on them (and killed al-Zarqawi) they ran off to Syria

Last edited by KFWA; 01/30/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,828
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.