Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
I would not have to head for the hills, I am already there.

Food, water, shelter, guns and ammo. The only difficulty I foresee is getting an Angus beef cow to stand still for milking.

This^^^

FJB & FJT
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All of us who live in urban areas are [bleep]. We have a great place in the mountains of central PA, but no way to get there..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
when uncivilsation comes, it will be helpful to be able to rely upon one's wits.

good recipes for cats & dogs would be invaluable. chinese resturants in the old school can do it better than anyone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by krp
I have the skills to get by the same way my ancestors did and enough food to get through until I raise more if needed.

My dad, who's 83, didn't live in a house with electricity until he was in the eighth grade when they moved to town. He taught me alot about raising food and the practicalities of butchering meat without the niceties of freezers and such. My grandmother was a wealth of knowledge also.

Chit you can't read in a book.

Kent

I am prepared, i know where kent lives. And he can make that really good fried fish. I am good.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty sure the only thing that prepares a person for SHTF is previously surviving a lot of S.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Those that have will be the first to die.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm pretty sure the only thing that prepares a person for SHTF is previously surviving a lot of S.

actually that is a pretty good statement. Having come from people that survived really bad times both here and in the old country, a lot of that stuff is not really thought of, it's just normal behavior. Like the reason i never sweated the .22lr thing. I still have several garages that were originally stuffed with old scrap wood, used in the winter time. Nobody had central heat.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was telling somebody the other day about some dirt. My grandmother used to have this big garden, grew a lot of vegetables that i really didn't want to eat. She used night soil and pee to help the soil along. When she died, i tore the garden out, and stuck all the dirt in a safe place where it has been incubating for about 20years. Sooner or later, that soil is going to be reused.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a six month supply of food, dry kidney beans, lentils etc in nitrogen packed 5 gallon buckets. Canned salmon, corned beef etc.
Water from the spring, and downspouts.
A one year supply of propane.
One year stack of firewood for the wood stove.
Guns ammo etc.

Like roundoak said, I don't have to head for the hills, I am already there.
And the hills are a good place to be. My brother lives in Atlanta, if things really got bad, he and his family wouldn't last a week down there. Bad location and even worse, his wife is a lib and doesn't like guns so he has no guns.

But I am pretty well set up, I can give it a good try.

Let the games begin!

Last edited by simonkenton7; 01/30/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only difficulty I foresee is getting an Angus beef cow to stand still for milking.

They mostly have little teats and a crossbreed would be better. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm pretty sure I won't survive a nuclear blast, my odds get better as the threats decrease.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Are you prepared for SHTF scenarios

If someone thinks they are, then they are blissfully ignorant.

If someone has done nothing at all, they are blatantly ignorant.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have a years supply of meat, as usual this time of year. half of it is canned and I have enough cans to do the rest if I find myself without power for a while. Downside is, it's not very portable. the G.O.O.D. scenarios don't bode well for the vast majority of people.
luckily I live in a small town so I'm not too worried about civil unrest right now.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure hope the REDSKINS win before SHTF!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byc
Sure hope the REDSKINS win before SHTF!

Hell freezing over might be the SHTF on that one.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=isaac]Those that have will be the first to die. [/quote

You pretty wise for a Lawyer.

I remember an episode of MASH wherein Hawkeye had come by a suit of long johns. Didn't take long for the rest of the crew to figure out he had something going for him that they didn't have. And they reacted in predictable fashion.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Originally Posted by jorgeI
All of us who live in urban areas are [bleep]. We have a great place in the mountains of central PA, but no way to get there..

All of my brothers-in-law live in cities and have no outdoor background. One BIL got stuck working in a hospital with no power, in a flooded area, for a week after Hurriocane Katrina because the authorities thought it had been evacuated. He learned how to improvise. I explained to him that something as simple as an LED mini-mag flashlight with a couple extra batteries in his bag could have given him light for the duration of the adventure. He learned a LOT from his experience.

A couple of years ago I gave the BILs a copy of �When All He11 Breaks Loose� by Cody Lundin. One of the wives, who lives in Chicago, was not impressed. I asked her what she would do if the power grid went down for a couple of weeks. She thought for a few seconds and said �Go to a Hotel????�

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It took me 3+ hours just to get out of DC yesterday. Maybe 30 miles. SHTF there one may as hunker down and deal with it because nobody is going anywhere!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People are social animals. Despite what the movies and books portray, we don't do well as singular entities, nor will zombies roam the land looking to kill and eat us.

For better or for worse, society is where it's at, survival And resource wise.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deflave for supreme leader!

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
385 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 893 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.