Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, zippedy do da whistle

Yes for whatever 'multiple' reasons brass is HARD to find. After 1-2 threads on the 'fire' and personal inquiries, I HAD found no more 284 Win brass.

****I had mentioned that I could find 6.5-284 brass and neck it UP but prefered OEM to necking up.****

WELL WELL, someone or a few jumped out there and bought UP all that was available in a couple of places!! smirk smirk blamed hoarders!! eek

No wonder we can't find brass, 22 ammo etc. They ARE being manufactured, Mule Deer knows what he's talking about. WE are our own worst enemies presently. crazy

Persistence pays off. I kept searching and FOUND what I needed. NOTE - needed NOT all I could buy! whistle

NO! I will not tell you WHERE I found it. I LEFT some in stock FOR others who NEED it.

Fellows Good Luck !!

Let's be considerate that other handloaders need components and NOT buy ALL that's available (for whatever reason).

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good on you.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I just purchased 3# of powder for $20/# retail + a few for the Governor. Phhhhfffft laugh

Last edited by DigitalDan; 01/28/15.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
grin grin
Dan, Great. I can find plenty powder locally & w/in 65 mi. The prices run 25-30 $/#. However I'm presently stocked on powder and brass is the only thing scarce to me.

Sidepass -- are you an equestrian/rider?
Thnx!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sending a check this AM for 3 bags of .38-55 brass. No problems here.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
for you guys still needing 284 winchester brass BULLETS.COM has contracted with Norma to do a run of it so hopefully there will be some available shortly ...........I am thinking it will be better quality and at the same price point hopefully as the inflated prices people have been getting for the winchester stuff

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
gene -

Thnx for the heads up. I 'will' be looking for more in the future but as I said in OP, I only bought what I needed right now.

'HOPEFULLY' there will be availability at reasonable price.

THNX

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If someone could find me some 300 RUM brass I would really appreciate it!

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
FYI Winchester is making 284 brass and ammo this year, get your orders in now.

B
byd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
That's great news where did you here it from ?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Winchester rep at SHOT

B
byd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Awesome news

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2 Boxes of CCI Target Shorts and a box of LR Quiet yesterday. 1 K load of .30 carbine bullets for the old warhorse this AM online.

I can't believe it....I bought some .22 RF ammo. Wow. First in years. Didn't need it, just wanted to see what it felt like.

This shortage thing is confusing.

I am..........disturbed.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Mornin Dan!!

I guess it depends on WHAT a fellow needs that the 'shortage' is greater/lesser.

I've been reading about 22 ammo, powder, & brass shortage as most have. THEN starting my 284 W project I 'experienced' the brass shortage first hand. ouch!

In the Hot Springs-Little Rock vicinity I have powder-primers-bullets (from which to choose) to choose from.

BRASS truly is as scarce as the proverbial 'hen's teeth."

I've barely paroused (sp) stores for 22 ammo. I've **had** 22 ammo stocked PRE any panic/shortage. **In my looking** the No.1 place of 22 shortage IS Wally World. I've found 22 ammo in nearly every gun shop where I've been including Bass Pro, and some indigenous Sporting Good stores. Gander Mtn the exception!!

Good Luck Guys!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by reelman
Winchester rep at SHOT

I truly hope that's fulfilled.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You should never be afraid to neck up or down as needed.

anneal, size, done.

I used 6.5x284 for my 284. Figured the brass was probably better quality with all the target 6.5s out there...

You need to do some wildcats too, that will make it easier on your head.

As to not buying it all... if I need it all, I'll buy it all. Just like I always have. And if I need only a box... I'll buy only a box.

The only real thing that sucks still is tackling new rounds you are not set up for.
But thankfully over many years I've hoarded all kinds of brass. STuff I don't even have chambers for. And still don't in many cases... but a LOT of it has come in handy too over the years.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

anneal, size, done.

I used 6.5x284 for my 284. Figured the brass was probably better quality with all the target 6.5s out there...

As to not buying it all... if I need it all, I'll buy it all. Just like I always have. And if I need only a box... I'll buy only a box.

The only real thing that sucks still is tackling new rounds you are not set up for.
But thankfully over many years I've hoarded all kinds of brass. STuff I don't even have chambers for. And still don't in many cases... but a LOT of it has come in handy too over the years.

Reloading is where it's at. Nothing I have that I can't make from something else. Make or make better.

I have a 243 Rem 700 varmint, late 70's gun. I could not get that thing to shoot well enough to make me happy, 3/4-1" was the best it would do.

I cast the chamber and found that the neck was on the big side of tolerance. So I bought an expanding mandrel and a neck turner and made cases from LC 30-06 brass. Now it will shoot .2 inches with a 65 grain V-Max right at 3700 fps.

Many a woodchuck and a few coyotes have fallen to that at some impressive ranges.

Being a reloader solves most of these shortage problems.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yep, Ken..pricey but available. Good News

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495

I agree Jeff but... sizing DOWN is simpler with IMO better results with straighter necks. I know how to size up and reduce the risk of crooked necks but it's 'painstaking'.

As to wildcats, I had a 35 Whelen BEFORE Rem made productions runs. Again sizing UP, carefully, and had no problems.

AGAIN-- I encourage us handloaders NOT to buy all that's available. WE are not the only ones IN NEED.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,812 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.