Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I have a few jugs of powder stored in a spare bedroom closet,and I sometimes worry that if I ever had a fire my insurance wouldn't pay .I would like to move it to the garage at the bottom of my driveway,but I don't have heat down there,and I'm wondering if storing powder in a cold garage all winter will harm it..It's all in the plastic 1pound jugs..I live West Virginia,and we have a lot of freezing temps..Thank you

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since nobody else has jumped in, I will give you my two-cents worth.

If you have a house fire, a few pounds of powder is not much different than the aerosol cans that will be going off, and the paint thinner, and propane canisters, and the brandy snifter full of old book matches, etc.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about it. Your house offers a much better storage environment than a remote uninsulated garage. I don't believe your insurance would be any consideration at all, unless you went to them with the intention of talking them out of standing behind their coverage, for some reason.

If you think you need to do something to give you more peace of mind, just outlaw in your home the single most common cause of house fires in America: the common candle. Women love scented candles and frequently leave them burning unattended. Candles pose much greater risk to your home than your supply of reloading powder.

For fifty years, in several different houses, I have always stored my powder in a cabinet in my shop, which has always been part of my house. Take reasonable precautions and use common sense, and then don't worry about every remote possibility that "could" happen. Take care and enjoy your hobby.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 01/31/15.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yep, Candles and Coffee Makers, the kind with a hotplate, are much bigger hazards.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I keep all mine an gutted out old refrigetaor in the detached garage.No heat,no cooling. Ther efrigerator keeps it from those big temp swings.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

cool..dry..stable temp enviorment

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree on the candles. My wife has bought those things that make a candle smell without lighting it. I know they are still a hazard but not as bad. When we finally got electric here my parents and grand parents were glad to get rid of candles and oil lamps because of the risk (my grandmother burnt her childhood home down with an oil lamp).

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I keep all mine an gutted out old refrigetaor in the detached garage.No heat,no cooling. Ther efrigerator keeps it from those big temp swings.

I wish I could fit all mine in an old fridge.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by rost495

I wish I could fit all mine in an old fridge.

I have two. Old side by side door type.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
DeereJohn,

Cold doesn't hurt powder at all. Heat does.

I store my powder in the garage in cheap plastic coolers, to prevent it from getting hot during summer. Don't worry at all about Montana winters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like the old fridge idea. Mine is stored in my reloading room in the basement but I have a mostly empty fridge in my garage.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
An old fridge works great as long as it's not old enough to close with a latch, rather than magnetically. Suggestions (and even many regulations) for powder storage are to keep it in a container what will easily blow open in case of a fire.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DeereJohn,

I store my powder in the garage in cheap plastic coolers, to prevent it from getting hot during summer. Don't worry at all about Montana winters.

JB, thanks for the tip on coolers. So what would the threshold be for higher temps. when bad things start happening to powder?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Store about 50 lbs in a plywood lined metal crate in my basement . Another 50 or so in the cabinets around my loading bench also in the basement. Cool dark place, desiccant in cabinets also.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SBTCO,

A lot depends on the duration of the warm temperatures. The best solution is not to allow them to get much above 70, if possible.

In my part of Montana it almost always cools off to no more than 70 at night, even in the hottest part of the summer. My garage gets considerably warmer, of course, even with the shade trees we planted on the southwest side. But the daytime temperature inside the coolers never rises above 75, and most days never reaches 70.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't sweat it. Like said, about as dangerous as propane canisters or any other container with a lid on it. If you have a reject jug, take it out and cook it off in a campfire.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/31/15.

1Minute
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, my refrigerators are magnetic latches. Usually local Fire codes limit the amount of powder you can keep on hand The last time I checked it was about 50lbs. Safe or not, if it is above the code limit and you have a fire, you could be in for some serious negotiations with your insurance company.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/31/15.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks for the tip on the fridge.
I have one that I have not been able to have time to get to the scrap yard.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by funshooter
Thanks for the tip on the fridge.
I have one that I have not been able to have time to get to the scrap yard.

power company here will give you $30 for old fridges...

we used to put a 3# bottle of Tannerite in an old fridge...

then spend all day cleaning up the mess... cry

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for the advise folks,I have a big blue Coleman cooler that will fit all my powder.I think I'll pack it up,and take it down to the garage here in a little bit.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You guys realize a cooler stored in a hot garage will eventually reach the same temp as the garage itself, right? Same goes for an unplugged fridge.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, but only if the temperature stays REALLY warm all day and all night.

Garages get hot because the sun beats down on them during the daytime. If the temperature cools down at night at all, the inside of the coolers doesn't get very warm.

My part of Montana isn't the coolest in summer, but nights still cool down to around 70 at most during July and August. I've tested my coolers with a thermometer placed inside, and the temperature never rises much above 70 even during the hottest days. Of course, I have the coolers on the floor and in the shade, not in front of a window where the sun will hit 'em.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got my shop in an insulated metal building. The (unheated) building mitigates temperature extremes enough that a couple of nights of -11 degree temps wouldn't freeze water inside.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, my refrigerators are magnetic latches. Usually local Fire codes limit the amount of powder you can keep on hand The last time I checked it was about 50lbs. Safe or not, if it is above the code limit and you have a fire, you could be in for some serious negotiations with your insurance company.

I"m code enforcement in town. I"m GLAD I don't have codes or enforcement where we live. We stick our noses way to much in other folks business IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Temperature SWINGS are not an issue for degradation? Say, -10 to +80 over a year?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Locally a recommendation not a code.I'll take my chances with my ability to do the right thing in terms of storing my powder.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,953 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.