-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Butch, who did the 3 pos safety for you ? How do you like it. Is it worth the added cost in your opinion ? I like that along with the side bolt release. Doesn't look as if you can see the top of the pin that holds the bolt release either like some of the guys who do that option. Looks better w/o seeing the top of the pin showing.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I did not break through drilling and tapping. I did it from the bottom. Kerry Stottlemyer did the PT&G safety for me.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
RDFinn, I had a side release done on an M700. It was worth it in my opinion, I hate that little tin button you have to finger on the factory guns.

There are a few versions...the one Kampfeld installs and Short Action Customs use are drilled from underneath. I sent mine to SAC just because Karl was booked up.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What you need to be real careful with on a side bolt release is to make sure it is far enough back. If not a loaded round will not eject.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Yeah, and they told me to mark my stock line on the action so that I wouldn't have to modify my stock. SAC got mine right though.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the looks of the one on Butches gun over the one Kampfeld uses as the one that SAC uses appears to be the PT&G unit and has those serrations on the back of the bolt release lever and Karl's doesn't. I think it adds to a more "custom" look. Karl told me he could file in serrations on the back, but I figure why bother. So I guess the trick is to advise SAC that you wanted the bolt release "tilted up" slightly so you don't have to deal with stock alterations. That's the term that Defiance used when I asked him about side bolt releases. I'd assume from the looks of the bolt releases on SAC website that they've done quite a few so I'm not real concerned about them setting back the release far enough for proper feeding and ejecting rounds. From the pics, it looks like they do a very clean install for a reasonable price too. I guess you just mark your action/stock melding so they know how high to mount the bolt stop. I'll probably start off with an install on my custom 700 stainless Hart built 280 Ackley and see how it turns out. I'm assuming the SAC installed bolt release is made from SS.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My bolt release is an Anschutz.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
RD, the one I got from SAC was stainless. What I didn't like is that it was polished stainless. I had my buddy bead blast it for me though to knock the shine off.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
[Linked Image]

if you're building a PTG is a lot for a little. They are snug and don't run as easy as a factory bolt.

Last edited by nimrod1949; 02/02/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several folks here who have gone the custom action route with their much tighter bolt clearances have reported "sticky bolts" after finishing them in Cerakote. Something to think about, Personally if I were going the Cerakote option for the exterior surfaces, I'd do what Nosler did and have the bolts done with Micro-Slick which apparently can be applied thinner and is slicker to boot. Two custom rifles I handled at my range were built by Gradous, ho has a fantastic reputation for building super accurate rifles had two actions that were CeraKoted and both bolts were sticky. Both rifles were built on Surgeon 591 actions. For me, when I get another custom rifle action, they will be finished in Black-T by Birdsong,

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Black T is great as is Birdsong. The one on my Grandson's doesn't stick as I didn't make it too tight and I lapped the bolt to the receiver before finishing it.

[Linked Image]

I am not a camo lover, but if your 9yr. old says, "Papaw, I want Camo", it will be camo.

Originally Posted by RDFinn
Several folks here who have gone the custom action route with their much tighter bolt clearances have reported "sticky bolts" after finishing them in Cerakote. Something to think about, Personally if I were going the Cerakote option for the exterior surfaces, I'd do what Nosler did and have the bolts done with Micro-Slick which apparently can be applied thinner and is slicker to boot. Two custom rifles I handled at my range were built by Gradous, ho has a fantastic reputation for building super accurate rifles had two actions that were CeraKoted and both bolts were sticky. Both rifles were built on Surgeon 591 actions. For me, when I get another custom rifle action, they will be finished in Black-T by Birdsong,

I had a PT&G bolt fitted to my Remington SA and then had it cerakoted. My bolt now is also sticky. How do I fix this issue?

Tony

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clearancing needs to be done before any coating is applied, because coatings are a few thousandths thick...even hard chrome.

At this point you should be able to see where it's rubbing.

Start with some #0000 steel wool and smooth it up a little on the mating surfaces. Don't take it all off, just a little surface smoothing to knock off the rough stuff and see where you are at. You made need to use 1200# paper, but try the #0000 first...you can do it wet. Then lube it.

If there is sufficient clearance, it may smooth up with use.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by cpl666k9

I had a PT&G bolt fitted to my Remington SA and then had it cerakoted. My bolt now is also sticky. How do I fix this issue?

Tony

Just use the gun. Cerakote wears just like any other coating. I've had cerakote, teflon, and KG, all of them wore on the contact points.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cpl666k9

Tony

That is why I use Black-T from Birdsong. It makes the action slicker than it was to begin with. Black-T from Birdsong is a self lubricating finish so no oil of any kind is needed whatsoever. The Birdsong finish can be applied to all internal small parts (springs, small screws, pins, internal trigger parts) whereas a lot of the other finishes cannot due to the flexibility of, say CeraKote. When you talk to some of the guys who do CeraKoting, ask them if they will completely disassemble the trigger mechanism and coat everything inside the trigger housing such as the parts mentioned above. If the Birdsong finish does wear off down the road, they will refinish it you for free. I know, because I've had them redo a bolt and I got it back quickly, free of charge. When Birdsong does a refinish job, they do your scope mounts too, free of extra charges.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for all the info guys, got a lot more than I asked for. Sure gave me some ideas that'll cost me money down the road. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 57 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.