Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The new Weaver Grand Slam line looks pretty promising. The Weaver GS 2-8x36 is priced at about $370 and looks to be a direct competitor to the venerable Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 at about $400.

Has anyone handled the new Weaver GS line? They are said to have "undergone a complete transformation inside and out." Further, has anyone compared the new Weaver GS line to a VX-3? Thoughts?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Since you used the word 'venerable' I'm assuming you know the meaning of said word?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Venerable: honored, revered, respected...

Yes venerable is more defined as being respected due to age so I guess it wasn't EXACTLY the right word to describe a VX-3. However that particular scope is indeed quite highly regarded especially at it's price point.

Although if you just want to be pedantic that's fine.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hey, if you want to go against venerable, go for it. I'll wait till the other comes with the venerable adjective.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Says the guy with an X-bolt avatar.......sorry, couldn't resisit

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I gotta say Steelhead I can't tell if you were judging my use of vocabulary as incorrect or if you are saying that there is no reason to second guess the "venerable" VX-3.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I liked the old weaver GS but I'm not sure about this new one. It looks like the power ring turns the whole back of the scope which is never good.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'd ask just what it has that makes it as good or better than the Leupold.
Has it got super hard coatings ? How about dual spring adjustments like the Leupold VX-3's and their well respected tactical scopes ? What is the eye relief and eye box comparison like ?
This is the second time Weavewr has done this, right ? How does their warranty and their reputation for standing behind their product compare to Leupold's ? E

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by treefity
I gotta say Steelhead I can't tell if you were judging my use of vocabulary as incorrect or if you are saying that there is no reason to second guess the "venerable" VX-3.

Actually he's just being his usual arrogant, a$$hole self. 60,000 + posts on an Internet forum, all paying tribute to his self love and piety. Gosh I hope I used all those big words correctly.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by treefity
The new Weaver Grand Slam line looks pretty promising. The Weaver GS 2-8x36 is priced at about $370 and looks to be a direct competitor to the venerable Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 at about $400.

Has anyone handled the new Weaver GS line? They are said to have "undergone a complete transformation inside and out." Further, has anyone compared the new Weaver GS line to a VX-3? Thoughts?

30 bucks difference would not sway me away from Leupold CS all else being equal. Have had recent CS from Weaver and Leupold and I prefer Leupold by 72.59% smirk .

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have owned 4 of the older 3 x 10 x 40 grand slams and two older VX3. 2.5-8-36 leupold. Frankly the leupold had a bit better eye relief, but I felt through my own informal testing the grand slam had better glass than the OLD VX3. I still have the weavers, and just bought another one on close out from midway. The older leupolds have been traded away. I also have picked up 3 weaver super slams that I think are great at reduced prices. Both brands make fine products. I think weaver has suffered from instability in ownership, not product, which lead to poor dealer support. Leupold is a fine scope that will serve you will, but so is weaver, vortex etc. I am one tat likes to try new and different products, many like to stay with what has worked for them for years......nothing wrong with that. I have right now products from leupold, weaver, Bushnell elite 4200 , Nikon monarch, vortex viper and viper hs........honestly......they are all fine and have strengths and
weaknesses. Most are in talley lw rings or the mounts made by leupold or grim reaper. I think you will like either one just fine. Happy Hunting. Goodshot

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by goodshot
I have owned 4 of the older 3 x 10 x 40 grand slams and two older VX3. 2.5-8-36 leupold. Frankly the leupold had a bit better eye relief, but I felt through my own informal testing the grand slam had better glass than the OLD VX3. I still have the weavers, and just bought another one on close out from midway. The older leupolds have been traded away. I also have picked up 3 weaver super slams that I think are great at reduced prices. Both brands make fine products. I think weaver has suffered from instability in ownership, not product, which lead to poor dealer support. Leupold is a fine scope that will serve you will, but so is weaver, vortex etc. I am one tat likes to try new and different products, many like to stay with what has worked for them for years......nothing wrong with that. I have right now products from leupold, weaver, Bushnell elite 4200 , Nikon monarch, vortex viper and viper hs........honestly......they are all fine and have strengths and
weaknesses. Most are in talley lw rings or the mounts made by leupold or grim reaper. I think you will like either one just fine. Happy Hunting. Goodshot

Goodshot,

That was an intelligent, well thought out comment. Full of insight, common sense, and Humility. THERE IS NO PLACE ON THE INTERNET FOR THAT KIND OF CRAP! By god pick a side and call whomever disagrees with you childish names.

Shato

Last edited by shatodavis; 08/30/13.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by goodshot

What is an old VX-3? "VX-3" is the name for the vary latest generation of that type scope from Leupold.

Do you mean Vari-X III? If so, do you mean one predating full multicoating?

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bet it's the VX-III, but of course IDK.
IME, the Super Slam series is significantly 'better' optically, in terms of subjective brightness and image 'pop,' than the current VX-3. However, the Leupy's eyebox is more forgiving at max power (4.5 - 14 vs Weaver 3-15), and possibly in general.

The Grand Slam, however, has quite a bit less eye relief. Whether that's important or not is specific to the shooter and the rifle. Optically, the _previous_ Grand Slam seems similar to maybe not quite as good, but I never had them side-by-side as I have with the Super Slam series. I have also performed NO instrumented tests on any of them, so everything about image quality is subjective.

As goodshot says, each has its strengths. Leupy's support is definitely one of its strengths. Weaver will also support their customers, but in a different way and on a different timetable these days, IME.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The VX-III is yet another animal, in between those I mentioned.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Guys the leupolds I was referring too were older vari x III.in my Mind the new VX2 (current model) has much better glas than the old VX lll. I think the VX2 is a great value today. Like I said, all the mentioned products work. I think it is interesting that the current ad campaign by Leupold is all about ruggedness, nothing about optical quality. This means nothing really, maybe the next round of ads will be about new optic quality. One thing I do know, it's very diffacult to remain on top forever. Folks are gunning for you all the time. Leupold has done a masterful job and deserves much credit. I am a compulsive tinkerer that enjoys trying stuff. I have custom model 700s, Win Model 70, Ruger 77, Montana 1999, Tikka, Sako and can't leave out Weatherby I even have a couple of early Marlin XS7 and it's crazy how good those shoot forthe $. In other words as Mule Deer would say I'm a Rifle and Optics Looney. By the way, I just ordered a Vortex Viper HD spotting scope and Vipe HD 10x42 biconoculars. I finally drew a buck Antelope tag in Montana........now am I taking my 25-06, 257 Weatherby ,Custom 700 in either 250 AI, 6.5-06AI, 280AI, Sako a7 in .270 or my 6.5 creedmoor Ruger 77 with a rifle Basix trigger added. Oh and by the way I think I need a Forbes 24B in .280 rem so I could sell all those and just hunt.....but that wont happen. I buy the Forbes because I'm crazy. Safe hunting to all this fall. goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 08/30/13.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not doubting your report of how you see/saw things, it's just necessary to be careful with nomenclature in this instance.

When we talk about "three" series Leupolds I know about these from oldest to newest:

Vari-X III single coated, friction adjustments

Vari-X III single coated, click adjustments

Vari-X III multi-coat 4, click adjustments

VX-III index matched multicoating, fingertip click adjustments

VX-3 extended twilight system with scratch resistant hard coat, fingertip click adjustments, dual erector bias springs

There's a similar scenario with "two" series Leupolds: Vari-X II, VX-II first release, VX-II revised, VX-2.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mathman, you are absolutely correct. I will try to clarify . Mine was the varixIII....the old one I believe. I had a VXIII 3.5x10x40 on a 300 win mg. sold it to a friend and itis still working great. He kills elk all the time with the rig in WA. St onthe wet west end....tough hunting and the leupold has been great. Again, and I think you understand....I have nothing agaist leupold....great stuff. I just felt at different times I could find scopes with better optics. Thank you for clearing up the exact part numbers........frankly Leupold does need some help with that ....it's confusing... At least for me. I am. Designer/engineer in the fishing industry so it's my nature to look at many products. Again,thank you helping all of us with the orrect leupold part numbers. Goodshot

Last edited by goodshot; 08/30/13.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If the new Grand Slam scopes whole eyepiece turns when adjusting the power setting that would be a deal breaker for me.....I have seen the new Grand Slam 2-8x36 scopes for $315 with free shipping.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought one of the Weaver Grand Slams in 2-8x36 for a muzzleloader. I think it compares favorably with my Bushnell 4200's. I don't have a Leupold VX3 to compare it to. Beats the hell out of my old vari-x II. Of course most newer scopes do for brightness.

Turning the eyepiece does indeed change the magnification.

Amazon had one left in stock for $146. and I grabbed it. I couldn't believe it when I actually received the correct scope at that price. For that money I think it's a fantastic scope.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 50 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,520
Posts18,452,713
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.