Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a number of years ago this topic came up with a mormon friend of mine. He had loaded two years of supplies on a tandem axle trailer then showed me where it was. I said that was very convenient, what size ball did the trailer take, and had he heard of suppresive firepower? He said not to worry, he was armed and i would have trouble if I borrowed it. He showed me the rifle, it was a bolt action 30.06 rusted shut.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
a number of years ago this topic came up with a mormon friend of mine. He had loaded two years of supplies on a tandem axle trailer then showed me where it was. I said that was very convenient, what size ball did the trailer take, and had he heard of suppresive firepower? He said not to worry, he was armed and i would have trouble if I borrowed it. He showed me the rifle, it was a bolt action 30.06 rusted shut.

interesting story. does it even matter wo wins and who loses when the social order beaks down? i mean, we're all clones of each other. so, if anyone survives at all, it'll be a win for us all, right? wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was at Sams club today and they had a bucket, about 6 gal, that was supposed to be a 30 day supply for one person, of emergency food. $99 and change. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a democrat neighbor. I should have no problem takkng his stuff sice i have a gun and he doesnt.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
a case of Knob Creek 100 proof?

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
a years supply of burlap, a harmonica and polaroid camera.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I GOTTA laugh every time this subject hits the front page.

I can't seem to avoid thinking of this "Apex predator", lurching up my lane in it's "Body Armor"

certainly a (ahem) terrifying prospect, what ?

[Linked Image]

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
as long as we keep the religious freaks out, our 3,000 member tribe will be just fine.

I live on the coast just west of Portland Oregon. I'm thinking around here it may be closer to 300,000 plus folks headed for the Beach. I'll first head to Montana and stick it out as long as possible. When game gets scarce and most the city folks have died.....and they will....I might head for the west coast.

No way I'd go anywhere near the east coast. That place will reak of flesh for several years.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
rattler: There are two ways to go if you have hypothyroid. If you go to a doctor he will probably put you on synthroid, a synthetic thyroid hormone.
Like I said, I tried that for a week and it didn't work for me.

You may find a doc who will put you on Armour Thyroid, which is just freeze dried pig thyroid gland, made into pills.
I was on this stuff for years. It worked pretty well for me.

But then, a guy at a health food store explained to me that probably my thyroid was still functioning, but needed support with mineral supplements.

Let's take your heart. It runs on sodium and potassium. If your potassium gets too low, you will die of a heart attack. I was working in the ER, and worked on, and watched a 34 year old man die because he was low on potassium. He needed mineral supplements. Had he just drank a glass of V8 juice that morning, which is loaded with potassium, he would not even have gotten sick.

In the same manner, the thyroid needs minerals. It needs iodine, selenium, and iron.
In the healthy thyroid gland, a person gets enough of these minerals in his diet to provide good thyroid function.
However, if the thyroid gland is damaged, as mine is, you need to supplement these 3 minerals.

Now bear in mind, I had been treated by MDs for over a decade, with mixed results, and then I got this advice from a guy in a health food store about the mineral supplements. I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried them.
I have been on the iodine, selenium, and iron for 2 years and I am in pretty good shape, my thyroid functioning is back up to about 90 percent of normal. No more Armour Thyroid for me.

Hypothyroid is very difficult to treat, I saw 8 different doctors and most of them didn't know what they were doing.

If you go to an MD, he will most likely give you a scrip for thyroid hormone, to replace your inadequate supply of thyroid hormone.
Or, you can go the route I am taking, take mineral supplements to boost the production of your own thyroid gland.

As bad as hypothyroid is to deal with today, it is really scary to think about having to deal with it in a survival situation. That is the great thing about these supplements from the health food store. They are cheap, and keep a long time. You can stock up with a 2 years supply of this stuff, for peanuts.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 01/30/15.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rem141r
a years supply of burlap, a harmonica and polaroid camera.

I got the harmonica!!! AND, I will add,,,, I can play it!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
rattler: There are two ways to go if you have hypothyroid. If you go to a doctor he will probably put you on synthroid, a synthetic thyroid hormone.
Like I said, I tried that for a week and it didn't work for me.

You may find a doc who will put you on Armour Thyroid, which is just freeze dried pig thyroid gland, made into pills.
I was on this stuff for years. It worked pretty well for me.

But then, a guy at a health food store explained to me that probably my thyroid was still functioning, but needed support with mineral supplements.

Let's take your heart. It runs on sodium and potassium. If your potassium gets too low, you will die of a heart attack. I was working in the ER, and worked on, and watched a 34 year old man die because he was low on potassium. He needed mineral supplements. Had he just drank a glass of V8 juice that morning, which is loaded with potassium, he would not even have gotten sick.

In the same manner, the thyroid needs minerals. It needs iodine, selenium, and iron.
In the healthy thyroid gland, a person gets enough of these minerals in his diet to provide good thyroid function.
However, if the thyroid gland is damaged, as mine is, you need to supplement these 3 minerals.

Now bear in mind, I had been treated by MDs for over a decade, with mixed results, and then I got this advice from a guy in a health food store about the mineral supplements. I figured I had nothing to lose so I tried them.
I have been on the iodine, selenium, and iron for 2 years and I am in pretty good shape, my thyroid functioning is back up to about 90 percent of normal. No more Armour Thyroid for me.

Hypothyroid is very difficult to treat, I saw 8 different doctors and most of them didn't know what they were doing.

As bad as hypothyroid is to deal with today, it is really scary to think about having to deal with it in a survival situation. That is the great thing about these supplements from the health food store. They are cheap, and keep a long time. You can stock up with a 2 years supply of this stuff, for peanuts.

im on synthroid, have been for a couple years.....seems like things change rougly every year and ive got to bump the dose some....the hell with SHTF scenarios just figure its in my best interest to keep my thyroid, or whats left of it, as healthy as possible as long as possible....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I GOTTA laugh every time this subject hits the front page.

I can't seem to avoid thinking of this "Apex predator", lurching up my lane in it's "Body Armor"

certainly a (ahem) terrifying prospect, what ?

[Linked Image]

Are those the idiots who were prepping to take other peoples stuff? And in the process exposed gun ownership as a felon?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Looks like Seahawk fans to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
rattler: Like I said, I had been messing around with Armour Thyroid, and synthroid, for over 10 years, and I was still pretty sick. I felt cold all the time, had little energy, and had "brain fog," mental confusion. Had been to 8 MDs.

One night, girlfriend and I went to a Jap sushi restaurant. Ate a bunch of fish, wrapped in seaweed.
An hour later, I felt great! I felt healthy for the first time in years! Felt well for about 5 hours, then felt sick, again, as usual.
I investigated the food I had eaten, and I learned that salt water fish, and seaweed, are rich in iodine.

So that, not long after, when I was talking to this guy at the health food store, and he said that mineral supplements of iodine, iron, and selenium would boost thyroid function, I was all ears.

That link provided above for swansonvitamins.com is where I get my supplements, they are a real good company, and this stuff is cheap. Good luck, I am not sure if this stuff will work for you but it is worth a try.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 01/30/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have an imagination.

Thanks, Dan, for that breath of fresh thinking. I have several tools to fish, net, trap, hunt, gather just about anything and know what to look for in a SHTF environment.

I never throw out a paper clip, wine cork, sewing needle, twine, or rope. Any C-clamp, wire clamp, copper tubing, aluminum railing, or copper, brass, or stainless fitting goes in the box.

I gather every single good brass casing from my range outings and always ask my range compatriots to either side if they are saving theirs. 9 times out of 10, they are not. Last Sunday I shot 120 rds of .45 ACP, picked most of them up, and got another 400-500 mostly 9mm and some 40 S&W, along with about 50 .38 spcl's.

I have multiple ways to cook, build fires, store fuels, and wage conflict, if necessary.

Keep canned foodstores of 3-6 mos in house and several properties I can easily walk in to.

Also have at least 3 "arm your family/friends/neighbors" stuff in tight little packages ready to go.

I've got 4 55 gal drums, 2 ready to go with unleaded, and 2 ready for anything else. My hotrodder buddy was just over tonight to help me fix a plumbing issue and asked me what the 2 empties were for, dead bodies? I said 'not yet'.

My only remaining issue right now is maintaining a fresh water supply.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Yupinz given I own a place in north Idaho where upon I can kill and eats bear, moose, deer and elk whilst spinning milk to mske huckleberry ice cream.

Phugger. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
as long as we keep the religious freaks out, our 3,000 member tribe will be just fine.

I live on the coast just west of Portland Oregon. I'm thinking around here it may be closer to 300,000 plus folks headed for the Beach. I'll first head to Montana and stick it out as long as possible. When game gets scarce and most the city folks have died.....and they will....I might head for the west coast.

No way I'd go anywhere near the east coast. That place will reak of flesh for several years.

Shod

your gonna be one thats dead quick.....hell this is one of the last places ild head mainly cause so many would be likely to be willing to say phug it and give it a go to stick around....in such senarios new faces are far from welcome.....

not to mention we must have some of the highest percentages of gun owners amoung the states...might not be top but likely top 5

plus some nasty country to get through to get here from where you are without nice highways.....

if your plan involves moving long distances, especially to unfamiliar country you dont have a plan....plus the Montana Rockies make for a long, rough phuggin winter for anyone from warmer climates

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

If your environment changes, adapt accordingly.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.