Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If it's for walking around, carry, and possible shooting at critters that may want to chomp on you, agree with the above poster, model 629 Mountain Gun, 4 inch.

If you are going to hunt with it, or shoot it a bit, go with the a gun with a little more barrel, (and more panache) go with a used Model 29, 6 inch barrel. Will never loose money, and the extra weight, and sight radius will serve you well.

Rugers are great, and almost indestructible, but the action doesn't compare to an older S&W.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cv540

Rugers are great, and almost indestructible, but the action doesn't compare to an older S&W.

Who who leaves the action untouched? Ruger triggers are quite tunable and frankly if they are done right, they will leave you wanting nothing.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In total agreement.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by borden811
So, say you have $800-$1000 to spend on a revolver, and you want something from .44mag on up to the smith and wesson 500. You're going to use it for deer, blackbear, punching paper, etc. What do you look for, new, used, manufacturer, etc. Give me some ideas here.
If your concerned about a bear attack than your going to need a double action.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If you're going to need a double action, you're going to need to learn how to shoot double action.

Most never will.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
super redhawk 480 it will do everything asked of it

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ConradCA
If your concerned about a bear attack than your going to need a double action.

I disagree. You simply need to know how to shoot a single-action. Deflave also pointed out that one would need to learn to shoot double-action as well. Not so easy in a heavy-kicking caliber. I personally don't feel like I am underserved by a single-action for protection as I can rattle off a cylinder full of goodness probably faster than I can with a double-action revolver. But that's just me. In any case, you need to practice your butt off with your chosen firearm to be proficient irrespective of platform. Just like your concealed carry gun, you need to be intimate and proficient in its use.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been really happy with my Ruger Bisley in 45 colt. It has a 5.5" barrel and is stainless. I run 300 gr Beartooth WFNGC over 25 gr H110. Its a little barky but does everything I need it to do. It is the gun I carry when I'm scouting, retrieving meat, looking for a handgun deer, etc. It is very good for hunting purposes. For general goofing around the woods and hiking, I carry my 357 Security Six loaded with 180 WFNGC because its a bit lighter and has a 5" barrel. It is more carry friendly than my 45.

I also recently sold my SBH 4 5/8 44 mag. It also fit the bill as a general purpose hunting gun. It shot 265 gr WFNGC into small groups with HS 6. The 44 or 45 colt are hard to beat.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by deflave
If you're going to need a double action, you're going to need to learn how to shoot double action.

Most never will.

Travis

Hitting in general....besides, what looks like a double action might be a single action....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
borden811, This is more something to consider,rather than a need handgun. I'got both a 629 S&W and a 460 S&W(bought used,like New for 850.00)I hunted with the 629 for 6or8 years and ran several thousand rounds thru it(most being light loads).With heavy bullets at max loads it was not a comfortable gun to shoot.I went through several types of grips, looking for more comfort.I improved it,but never really got it where I wanted it. I've had the 460 for a couple of years now,and find it very pleasant to shoot.It shoots flat and hard out beyond my abilities. The drawbacks are: it's heavy(needs wheels and a Briggs&Stratton),and with the factory porting,unbearably loud(ear protection-not an option).I've not hunted with it yet,but looking forward to it! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by OldRooster
Travis, 41 mag, it's the cartridge of champions. I agree with you about SA vs. DA. I'm looking for a Bisley now to compare with the standard Blackhawk.

They're cool. No doubt. But there's no .41 Specials on any shelf I've walked past.

That pretty much rules it out as a "do-all" in my opinion.

Travis

There are a few hundred of them in my cabinet. And the best part is, they are loaded in full length brass, so you do not have to scrub out the front of the cylinder when you go back to magnums.

5 gr of Titegroup under a light weight cast bullet seated to crimp just over the ogive shoots real pleasant, even in the lightest of handcannons.

Enough of the hijack. Back to the original post.

If you are serious about optics, nothing beats a Ruger hunter model in Super Blackhawk, or Redhawk. Mine is a 7.5 inch SBH Bisley hunter (41 mag) and I use a Nikon Monarch 2x20 on it. It makes a nice combination.

As previously mentioned, the Ruger hunter comes with scope rings. I strongly suspect you could cover the revolver and scope for less than a $grand.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Bordan811 sent you a pm!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My choice was a Super Redhawk .44 Mag with 7-1/2" barrel. No regrets.

Super Red .44 Mag
Blackhawk .357 Mag
Single Six w/ .22LR and .22WM cylinders
SP101 .327 Fed

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
S&W 629 4".

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S&W 629 5" grin

Great balance, easy carrying, shoot extremely well.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
borden811,

Do you handload? The answer to that question can change this topic around a lot.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Definitely a S&W 629-5 with a 6" barrel in .44 magnum with a custom action job. Definitely!

Go ahead, make my day!!!

If you do what you've always done, then you will get what you've always got.
Carpe Diem,
bgcatty
NRA Patriot Life Benefactor Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
A couple pics of my SBH,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I personally do a lot better with a single action. The beautiful one pictured above in 45 LC would be my first choice and I would cast a bullet much like pictured. If you load you can shoot everything from loads you could teach a kid to shoot to loads that will at least equal 44 Mag loads.

Just my opinion.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I do handload. So far, it looks like I'm leaning towards a 629, 29, or a redhawk. I'm thinking 6 inch barrel.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If possible, fondle a 5" 629 along side a 6" before choosing one or the other.

Black Cows Matter!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.