Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Agreed...They seem to be worth their price tag.

We used to get Howa Lightnings for $300. Another very solid budget rifle choice IMO....

Howa is just a Vanguard Wby at halve the price

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The lowest retail price that I've seen for the Vanguards is $500 at a Cabela's sale a couple of times each year, with their regular price being around $550.

I'm not seeing Howa 1500s price much lower, none in the $250 to $275 range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, they both went up in price not too long ago....

S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Agreed...They seem to be worth their price tag.

We used to get Howa Lightnings for $300. Another very solid budget rifle choice IMO....

By solid you mean the bolt handle doesn't fall off?

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best NIB budget rifle is, IMHO, the Ruger American. When they were available I would have awarded that title to the Stevens 200 and Marlin X-whatever rifles.

Saw a Remington M700 ADL with a crappy scope on it at Wal-Mart for $377 a couple weeks ago, your choice of chambering. The finish was the same as is on my 870, which is to say it was dull black.

Often the best budget rifle is a gently used rifle or a closeout sale. For example, last year ago I purchased a used Ruger stainless/laminate .223 at Cabelas or $476. Dec 31 of 2013 I bought a NIB walnut/blue Ruger Hawkeye in .300WM at Dicks for $404 and tax.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bea175
The Ruger American looks to be a great candidate for a cheap rifle for someone on a budget

It is a better candidate than it is a rifle...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I be lovin' me some stainless steel/synthetic rifles...but the current crop of "bic" rifles aint amongst them...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This is what you missed by staying home yesterday...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...=PEp8Yiex2xU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Savage 110/11 series have always been good budget rifles. I've had 8 or 10 of them over the past 35 years and all have shot well. The only one I have currently is a .223 Stevens 200 I bought new for 259.00 4 years ago. It functioned perfectly and shot everything I ran through it, both handloads and factory under 1" at 100 yards out of the box. Pretty tough to ask for more for the price. The 200 is discontinued now but the last I knew Wal-Mart still sold synthetic stocked Savages with accu-trigger for around 350.00. My brother bought one in .243 about a year ago and it shoots just as good as my Stevens. I've seen nothing from any of the newer budget rifles that would lead me to believe they're better or likely to outperform the Savages. Certainly none are as time tested/ well proven.The only Ruger American I've seen in action was certainly less than impressive as the magazine kept falling out and the stock was as flimsy as a soda straw.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Spend a few extra bucks and get Tikka T-3 or Ruger 77

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
It seems to me that to keep the price of a budget rifle the same as a budget rifle was 20 years ago you'd have to comprimize quality.

The dollar doesn't go anywhere close to where it used to.

As sportsman it appears that a number of folks are not accepting the lack of quality.

Those folks are buying rifles from manufacturers that are still building budget rifles but have been unwilling to compromise the quality and materials and therefore choose to continue using appropriate materials and meet the rising cost.

This forces the cost of the rifle to go up. Therefore these rifles are no longer considered budget.

These rifles that cost $150 dollars more I think are far more widely used by the budget minded sportsman and seem to weather the span of time.

Cheap budget rifles seem to come and go. It appears the rifle manufacturers have deemed to see just how much lack of quality will the general public accept.

Remington and Ruger seem to have taken the lead in this endevour.

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/01/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd
It seems to me that to keep the price of a budget rifle the same as a budget rifle was 20 years ago you'd have to comprimize quality.

The dollar doesn't go anywhere close to where it used to.

As sportsman it appears that a number of folks are not accepting the lack of quality.

Those folks are buying rifles from manufacturers that are still building budget rifles but have been unwilling to compromise the quality and materials and therefore choose to continue using appropriate materials and meet the rising cost.

This forces the cost of the rifle to go up. Therefore these rifles are no longer considered budget.

These rifles that cost $150 dollars more I think are far more widely used by the budget minded sportsman and seem to weather the span of time.

Cheap budget rifles seem to come and go. It appears the rifle manufacturers have deemed to see just how much lack of quality will the general public accept.

Remington and Ruger seem to have taken the lead in this endevour.

Shod

Just WOW.

I guess one action length, the lack of a recoil lug, a plastic bolt shroud, a plastic magazine, tupperware stock, and enclosed receiver, all at a higher cost doesn't qualify. Yes sir, the Tikka is VERY uncompromising laugh

You are one HIGHLY entertaining SOB some times grin

S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Sunday morning is always good for entertainment. laugh

Have a great Superbowl Sunday 2muchgun. laugh

Shod

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is what you missed by staying home yesterday...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-...=PEp8Yiex2xU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Damn! Looks like fun! And I was home nursing the flu when I could have been doing that!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have fun as well.

I am busy being snowed in. Already ran the snowblower once and you can't even tell. Lots more on the way. Looks like I may just stay home today.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2mg: it's 72 here, and sunny. (Feel free to laugh at me in August) grin

S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

Just WOW.

I guess one action length, the lack of a recoil lug, a plastic bolt shroud, a plastic magazine, tupperware stock, and enclosed receiver, all at a higher cost doesn't qualify. Yes sir, the Tikka is VERY uncompromising laugh

2muchgun, the plastic and the Tupperware are all common to budget rifles.

If'n you are privy to Steel that is used for building actions barrels and said gun parts then you understand that Steel does have various grades resulting in anywhere from cheap to very expensive.

Tupperware and plastic are no different. If'n one is going to build a budget rifle for instance would you prefer to have plastic parts or the much more expensive polymer.

Is there even a difference?

Plastic polymer has a tensil strength of about 40 lbs where as some polymer has a tensil strength of around 2000 lbs exceeding the cheaper steel.

There is a reason why some stock forearms wobble around like a limp dik and some stand erect, hard, and ready for the task at hand.

You sir are quite clearing trying to expound on that which you are clearly clueless.

When it comes to the science of said materials you'd fair far better to sit your chunt on the couch......enjoy your super bowl Sunday......and get up occasionally to lick the window and dream of all the wares you've never been. grin

Shod grin

Last edited by Shodd; 02/01/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Texas is definitely too hot this northern boy. I'd want no part of summer.

But I could do 70° and sunny right now grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The synthetic used in the Tikka magazine/trigger guard/floor plate is incredibly tough stuff. I witnessed a fully loaded Tikka magazine slide off the roof of a pickup and go cartwheeling down the pavement at 55 mph last season. Other than a bit of road rash there was no damage and the magazine is still fully functional. I have serious doubts that a sheet steel or "plastic" magazine would fare as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The

Just WOW.

2muchgun, the plastic and the Tupperware are all common to budget rifles.

If'n you are privy to Steel that is used for building actions barrels and said gun parts then you understand that Steel does have various grades resulting in anywhere from cheap to very expensive.

Tupperware and plastic are no different. If'n one is going to build a budget rifle for instance would you prefer to have plastic parts or the much more expensive polymer.

Is there even a difference?

Plastic has a tensil strength of about 40 lbs where as polymer has a tensil strength of around 2000 lbs exceeding the cheaper steel.

There is a reason why some stock forearms wobble around like a limp dik and some stand erect, hard, and ready for the task at hand.

You sir are quite clearing trying to expound on that which you are clearly clueless.

When it comes to the science of said materials you'd fair far better to sit your chunt on the couch......enjoy your super bowl Sunday......and get up occasionally to lick the window and dream of all the wares you've never been. grin

Shod grin

Please, just stop. Why do you continue to insist on proving what a fool you are?

Plastics are polymers dumba$$. They use the term polymer to trick imbeciles into thinking they are buying something "better" than just plastic. Kind of like Delrin knife scales. Bet you love those as well.

And here we were making so much progress on you not sticking your foot in your mouth or making outlandish claims you can't prove or know nothing about.

So what part of the Tikka has a tensile strength of 2000 lbs? Please do tell.

And so you know, tensile strength of plastic is determined by pulling on it, or stretching it. How tough it is has nothing to do with tensile strength, but how much energy it will absorb before it breaks. Which pretty much shows all who can read here who is truly trying to expound upon that which they are clueless. grin

So Tikkas are more expensive due to the polymers being more expensive than steel. Okay, I get it now. crazy

Do me a favor, send me your Tikka bolt shroud. I'll hit it with a hammer. Then hit my 700 shroud. If mine breaks first, I'll buy you a whole new Tikka. If yours breaks first, I get a new 700.

Even your last "insult line" is plagiarized. I would tell you to come up with something original on your own, but it would be very hard to top the entertainment you already so shamelessly, albeit in intentionally, provide us with. And let's face it, you probably aren't quite up to the task.

Did I say you were entertaining?

Have fun at the Asha Kiran Super Bowl party......

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 32 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,589
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.