Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
I'm far from rich I emailed 70 north last yr they told me $2,000 a person wtf and extra for a meat haul. Needless to say I will go a different route... At one time when 70 north was getting back into the game 09-10 they were charging $1500 a flight. mike strahan was really pushing people towards 70 north as well. Far as Samson probably one of the owners from 70north.

Yup, believe Strahan if humor is your game...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by samson
I have made dozens and dozens of fly in hunts in Alaska with many different flying services. (over a dozen in the Brooks Range and on the North Slope alone). I have never flown with any flying service that is more honest and was treated more fair than Seventy Degrees North. I have flown with close to a hundred small plane pilots and it is my observation that Mike and Bob are excellent pilots with safety as their major concern. Their care for their clients before and after the schedule trips is above and beyond what is expected.
I don't understand when a person agrees to the terms of the cost of the transportation for a hunting trip and the service was provided as stated in the agreement, then complain afterwards.

Are you Mike, or Bob?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I would guess Samson's post is Bob or Mike, or someone they asked to make a glowing post on their first time on the forum. As far as care before and after the hunt, in my experience that is not the case. My party and I were told this year we had to stay away from the office as two groups of paleontologists were in camp and their comfort was a priority. We could only come over to use the outhouse but could not come in the office for snacks, water, or food. The camp manager, Mark, let us sleep in a shed with a diesel stove and it was nice to be warm. Mark also told us funny stories of the two groups look in for evidence of the dinosaurs die off the scientists were looking for, how they were arguing between themselves and agreed not to carry guns. I my experience for four years, 70 North is a high volume business, in and out as quick as possible. One gent emailed me that Bob wrecked his 206 last fall but I don't have confirmation on this. Money is the first issue and that is why I was charged for a flight that was not taken. Samson's last sentence shows a lack of understanding or a plain bias. We agreed to the terms, and it was Bob and Mike how violated those terms, not us. We would have gladly paid for an extra flight if it was actually flown.
Cheers, gents.
Cal

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was Mark Richards aka bushrat on Alaska forums that you talked with...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Yes, it was Mark Richards. He wrote a rosy reply about how great it was to have me in camp and our successful hunt. He also BS'ed a bit about us leaving him a good tip and who much it was appreciated. Believe me, we didn't leave him a tip. I have no grudge against Mark as he was only doing what his bosses wanted him to and prior to the hunt Mark told us the conditions of the extra meat haul. In fact his quotes will be used in court, as he spoke directly to the three of us, and he knew we may not need the extra haul. Mike, without knowing the weight of our return, immediately told us we owed him $1500 for the extra haul.

And, a general question. Why will not Alaska Outdoor Forums allow any negative comments? Is it to protect their advertising?

Cheers,
Cal

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some here can answer that better than me... But in short yes to protect advertiser on that forum... That site is slowly fading away less peope going there posting re site owner has killed that forum it will only get worse..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How could it possibly get worse? Years ago they had a paid moderator claiming to be a "ballistics engineer" that knew NOTHING about spin dynamics... I believe Murphy is still there and proves constantly he has not learned a thing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Me, my family and friends have been flying with 70 North since the first year they started flying from Happy Valley. I consider Mike, Bob and Mark friends. I'm a private pilot myself as well as an A&P mechanic, so I know a little about what it takes to both fly and to operate aircraft from a remote location. I just this week received an insurance quote of 14K for insurance on a Super Cub for personal use so I can't even imagine what their cost are, but I'm sure it is astronomical. Flying hunters for a month or so I'm sure only makes up a fraction of what it takes to make a flying business work from such a remote location.

They have always went what I consider to be above and beyond when both flying us and making sure we were cared for while waiting to be flown in or out.

In the last 12 years I have flown with transporters from all over the state and IMHO 70 North does as good or better job than most of them out there.

I have seen them turn Caribou hunters away in years where the bou were simply not around yet and that is far more than many would do. Most of the other transporters I have used would simply fly you out for a paid camping trip.

They provide transportation, not guide services so if you ask to be taken some place to hunt sheep and fail to kill one,,, well that would hardly be their fault.

Mr Cal,, your complaint would hold much more validity if in every place you post your grievance, you would simply state your beef and not provide links to "your website" one could believe that you are using drama to drive views to your site??

Anyone that has ever done business knows that it is not possible to make each and every customer happy and the one unhappy customer will make more noise than a thousand happy ones.

Mr Cal, it is regrettable that you were less than satisfied with the trip you had with 70 North. I can only say that my experience with them has always been very enjoyable and I look forward to seeing them all each fall.

My Son and I will be again using their service this fall and IMHO, trusting them to fly the one person on this earth I love the most says more than any words I could share here.

As to the reasons they have changed their pricing practices I can only speculate because I have not ask,, but I do know on numerous occasions hunters have had a herd of caribou come near their camp after they called for pick up and lacked the discipline to not kill several more. I'm sure any hunter can see how this would have a ripple effect on others waiting to be flown from the field when they now have to wait for the group needing both extra flights and extra time to butcher more caribou.

As far as unhappy sheep hunters goes,, not everyone that takes a rifle into the mountains are "sheep hunters" I have always seemed to find one or two.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/stid2677/Sheep%202014/P8060054_zpsf025d4b4.jpg[/img]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Stephen:
Thanks for your comments and nice sheep.
My only "beef" is to be charged for a flight not taken. No one, including Bob and Mike, the manager Mark, nor the couple of gents who support 70 North have even attempted to offer an explanation. I bring folks up from the lower 48 to hunt caribou and was happy with 70's service. I offered to bring up blue board insulation to Bob and I offered Mike that I could shop for him at Costco and haul up the food when I drove up. No problems with my attitude toward then until this year. We didn't over shoot caribou and an extra flight was not needed. We didn't hold up any other hunters waiting to get out of the field. I directed folks to my website as the details were there as some forums (such as AK Outdoors) won't allow any negative posts. I sent Mike three emails to discuss the situation and all were ignored. My next step was the BBB and AG and they were ignored, also. I'm sure if you were charged for a flight that was not taken you would not be too pleased.
Anyway, thanks for your comments. It is always interesting to read other points of view.
Cheers, and good luck hunting with you and your son.
Cal

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After my conversations with 70DN, they're the last outfit I would hire to fly me to any hunting location.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cal_Pappas
Stephen:
Thanks for your comments and nice sheep.
My only "beef" is to be charged for a flight not taken. No one, including Bob and Mike, the manager Mark, nor the couple of gents who support 70 North have even attempted to offer an explanation. I bring folks up from the lower 48 to hunt caribou and was happy with 70's service. I offered to bring up blue board insulation to Bob and I offered Mike that I could shop for him at Costco and haul up the food when I drove up. No problems with my attitude toward then until this year. We didn't over shoot caribou and an extra flight was not needed. We didn't hold up any other hunters waiting to get out of the field. I directed folks to my website as the details were there as some forums (such as AK Outdoors) won't allow any negative posts. I sent Mike three emails to discuss the situation and all were ignored. My next step was the BBB and AG and they were ignored, also. I'm sure if you were charged for a flight that was not taken you would not be too pleased.
Anyway, thanks for your comments. It is always interesting to read other points of view.
Cheers, and good luck hunting with you and your son.
Cal

Cal he is one of the moderators over on Alaska forums so ask him the queston why no negative stuff on transporter/guides. he avoided the whole question on why you were charged for a flight that didnt happen then try to twist it as a way for you to push people to your website. Anyhow have a great day. good to see posters from Alaska forums post over here.

Last edited by 79S; 02/03/15.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I was a mod on AOD, but have resigned. I do not know why they do not allow negative comments, that has always been the rule and I simply followed those rules as both a member and mod there. The reasons I saw posted over the years are that much like this complaint is they only represent one side of the argument and while Alaska is a large state, the business community is small. The reason I did not address the OPs complaint about paying for a flight he did not receive is I have no knowledge of what went down between them. I simply posted my personal experience with 70 North. Anyone that knows my knows I'm a straight guy that tells it like I see it and my opinion is not for sale.

Last edited by 1sgStephen; 02/03/15.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Stephen:
I certainly have no problem with your opinion or your thoughts in the matter. I'm pleased your experiences with 70N are good, as were mine prior to this year. I can't offer an apology for directing folks to my website as double rifles and Africa are my passions and one of life's greatest pleasures has been meeting folks from all over the world with like interests. However, I doubt any double rifle would serve as a sheep rifle!
Cheers, mate.
Cal
PS. I, too, shoot straight and my description of the events that transpired are factual but also documented and witnessed.

Last edited by Cal_Pappas; 02/03/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
After my conversations with 70DN, they're the last outfit I would hire to fly me to any hunting location.

When you have a blog and invite shooters from the lower 48 to hunt; they should pay the tab anyways. Doctors and CEO's have all kind of money. Guides shouldn't have to pay for anything.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I am not a guide and can't be paid for guiding services. I invite gents up from the lower 48 as friends and I pay my own way. They stay at my home, I direct them to local fishing, and they shoot my double rifles or I set up a double rifle shoot for them to attend. And, we go caribou hunting. That's what friends do. The folks I've met through my website as well as those that buy my books and read my articles become friends. At least that's my take on things.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. The quote is not my quote, but I assume your comments were directed towards me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am not a guide and can't be paid for guiding services. I invite gents up from the lower 48 as friends and I pay my own way. They stay at my home, I direct them to local fishing, and they shoot my double rifles or I set up a double rifle shoot for them to attend. And, we go caribou hunting. That's what friends do. The folks I've met through my website as well as those that buy my books and read my articles become friends. At least that's my take on things.
Cheers,
Cal
PS. The quote is not my quote, but I assume your comments were directed towards me.

Yeah OK, whatever you say. But I wouldn't pay for chit.

But, then there are people that would play cops for free too I guess.

BTW, I've read your blog, can I stay at your house now friend? grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Cheers,
Cal

Yeah OK, whatever you say. But I wouldn't pay for chit.

But, then there are people that would play cops for free too I guess.

BTW, I've read your blog, can I stay at your house now friend? grin

As Cal pointed out, correctly, not "paying for chit" would make you a guide and that would not be legal...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Making money is not the top thing for everyone.

I invite friends on hunts down here. But I pay my own way and always have. Don't feel its fair to have others pay my way...

Never mind the guide implications...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Cal is starting to sound a little fishy to me. Is he they type that invites guys up, and then gets them to pay for everything (food, fuel, etc), and does this fake "guiding" to get free fly out hunts every year?

Perhaps the troopers should investigate his ass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Cal is starting to sound a little fishy to me. Is he they type that invites guys up, and then gets them to pay for everything (food, fuel, etc), and does this fake "guiding" to get free fly out hunts every year?

Perhaps the troopers should investigate his ass.

JFC, really?

It's getting to a point where a guy can't even talk about his hunts anymore without being accused of illegal activity.

Whatever happened to "benefit of the doubt"?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222ND, 16penny, 73 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.