Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking for a 3-4 man tent. Something that will work if needed 365 days a year. It will be hauled around in the jeep so dont need something to pack. Simple quick setup and takedown would be nice.

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out the Arctic Oven.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
The Arctic Oven costs an arm n leg but is head n sholders better than any other on the market. Be sure to buy one with a stove jack for winter use.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bomb Shelter from Barneys is another option.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hesitate to give advice about camping in Alaska, but I'm very pleased with my Alaskan Guide tent from Cabelas. Mine is the 8 person tent. Price is reasonable with fiberglass poles. The aluminum pole version is lighter and but more expensive.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I agree with you on the guide tent but it is a 3 season tent not 4 season. I have 15 of these tents in use in my outfitting service. They stand up to all that NW Alaska throws at my hunt groups but when I go out in the winteri have to have a tent with a stove jack and one that will not roar up-arctic oven

Walt

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've spent weeks in my Cabelas Ak guide tents, both the 4 and the 6 man. They've survived high winds and wet snow and took it all in stride. As much as I've liked them, I'll upgrade to an Arctic Oven when it's time to replace. They're costly, but having the option of the stove would be really nice.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my experience the folks who are most likely to call for a rescue on the Alaska peninsula are those using Cabelas AK guide tent. Partially because the tents are nowhere as tough and durable as either the Bombshelters or the Arctic Oven but also because those using them have too much faith in the tents and don't shelter them or tie them down as they need to be.
If they understood the weather and took care the guide tents will do fine but are not in the same league as either the bomb shelter or the Arctic Oven.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
In my experience the folks who are most likely to call for a rescue on the Alaska peninsula are those using Cabelas AK guide tent. Partially because the tents are nowhere as tough and durable as either the Bombshelters or the Arctic Oven but also because those using them have too much faith in the tents and don't shelter them or tie them down as they need to be.
If they understood the weather and took care the guide tents will do fine but are not in the same league as either the bomb shelter or the Arctic Oven.

Yep. Because of the wind down this way, a mountaineering tent such as a VE-25 with lots of paracord is probably the best way to go. But I have no experience with a Bombshelter or Arctic Oven.

Of course anchored up in a sheltered cove or inlet on 58' purse seiner is even mo better. grin

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A friend has a cabelas tent. When all tied out properly its pretty stout. So far.

I don't think its seen really high winds though, probably not over 50mph.

In the end if its a year round 4 season do all tent.... it would not be on my list. Very close but not quite.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was in a good blow at Fraser Lk on Kodiak in a Guide tent. This model had fiberglass poles. We had it tied out as designed on good ground. The wind blew that thing flat many times until all the poles broke just above the stake pocket. That tent looked really sad after a night of that wind. Of course, then the rain started but the tent never leaked. A friend had a similar experience on the Kusko river camped at the base of the mountains. A williwaw hit his tent on the top and broke all the poles just above the pockets. I think the tent I was in was too tall for the size.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We have an 8-man Guide tent with the aluminum poles. Bought it back in 2000, and it's been used a fair amount.

It's been folded by the wind in Wyoming. A couple poles bent somewhat, but didn't break. Tent is still serviceable.

In colder weather we heat it with a Mr Buddy heater, and a 20 lb propane tank. Works reasonably well in Montana fall weather. Never really tried it in sub-zero conditions.

Overall decent tent in most conditions, but it's not really up to "anything mother nature throws at it". The smaller 4-man or 6-man versions might be a little better in the wind given lower overall profile and surface area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I had to be somewhere I could have issues if the tent failed... IE can't get to the truck or drive back to the house etc.... it would be AO or BS, but if flying in, its goint to be a tipi all the time due to weight... and ability of wood stove...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS no fiberglass poles for me ever again. And if I have my choice I"ll have a spare set of AL or Steel poles somewhere...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Bomb Shelter has only been actively used for only 30 years. It has some repairs, but none that kept it from being effective. It has seen a lot of the worst and is still 100% functional.

That said, the AO will likely be the next tent I buy...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
These are just my own experiences, so take them with a grain of salt. I have spent a lot of time both in the Bombshelter and in my Alaskan Guide 8-man. They are both great tents. But if set up in the best way possible for each, I think the AK Guide tent actually is a little better. The Bombshelter is more rectangular and takes a bit more hit with the high winds. It still works, but I found that you have to go outside every so often and re-stake the heavy fly which tends to buffet in the wind and pull the stakes harder. The AK Guide has a more aerodynamic dome shape, more rigid, and in my experience, with the same type of high winds, it does not pull out stakes as much. Mine came with an attachable 7”x10” vestibule. The whole thing with all of the guy lines is held by 46 stakes. It’s pretty secure when you use all of that. Just my own experience.

All that being said, if you’re concerned about really bad weather, you might be better off with two 11-lb three man tents, which would be less than half the weight of either of the above. Last Sept. in SW Alaska, my guide had his 10x1 Bombshelter set up, and I brought the backup—Marmot Thor 3p tent. These are successfully used on Everest expeditions. It has six high-strength aluminum poles, has a lower profile, and mine is staked out with 36 stakes, including countless guy lines. When the winds got over 60mph, the Bombshelter stayed up, but it was constantly flexing and, as said before, we had to re-stake it several times. My Marmot (much smaller with the lower profile and staked out in 36 places) essentially didn’t budge. If the winds had picked up another 10-20 mph or so, we clearly would have been solely in the Marmot.

The obvious dilemma about bringing the two smaller tents as opposed to one bigger one is that they are more stable and trap more body heat. But they also don’t allow you to stand up or put a table in there, etc … Depends on your needs. If the weather was likely to be really extreme, I would prefer to have two smaller expedition tents. If not, a bigger stand-up tent would be better.

Here's the Bombshelter and Marmot. You can barely see the Marmot, but can get an idea of the lesser profile:

[Linked Image]

This is it more close-up:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of pics of the AK Guide:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I can take a truck there, I use my wall tent. I have had lesser expensive nylon tents collapse in the wind and rain before and I have never even camped out in AK! I think that the smaller tents have a much better chance of surviving bad weather. You put up a big tent, it better be a good one!

One time camped in the Kaibab, I had to tie large ropes to the main poles of the wall tent and stake into the wind with a tandem of 36" steel stakes. We had 50-60 knot wind all night one night and it held. It was, however, a sleepless night!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pak
Was in a good blow at Fraser Lk on Kodiak in a Guide tent. This model had fiberglass poles. We had it tied out as designed on good ground. The wind blew that thing flat many times until all the poles broke just above the stake pocket. That tent looked really sad after a night of that wind. Of course, then the rain started but the tent never leaked. A friend had a similar experience on the Kusko river camped at the base of the mountains. A williwaw hit his tent on the top and broke all the poles just above the pockets. I think the tent I was in was too tall for the size.

Fiberglass poles are heavier and weaker than aluminum ones. They're cheaper, but probably not worth the difference.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My recollection is the tent(which was not mine) was an early model and fiberglass poles were the only poles available. To its credit it never leaked. I was also in some strong weather with a marmot and it was rock solid. They are livable but spending much time in a low tent gets old.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
These are just my own experiences, so take them with a grain of salt. I have spent a lot of time both in the Bombshelter and in my Alaskan Guide 8-man. They are both great tents. But if set up in the best way possible for each, I think the AK Guide tent actually is a little better. The Bombshelter is more rectangular and takes a bit more hit with the high winds. It still works, but I found that you have to go outside every so often and re-stake the heavy fly which tends to buffet in the wind and pull the stakes harder. The AK Guide has a more aerodynamic dome shape, more rigid, and in my experience, with the same type of high winds, it does not pull out stakes as much. Mine came with an attachable 7”x10” vestibule. The whole thing with all of the guy lines is held by 46 stakes. It’s pretty secure when you use all of that. Just my own experience.

All that being said, if you’re concerned about really bad weather, you might be better off with two 11-lb three man tents, which would be less than half the weight of either of the above. Last Sept. in SW Alaska, my guide had his 10x1 Bombshelter set up, and I brought the backup—Marmot Thor 3p tent. These are successfully used on Everest expeditions. It has six high-strength aluminum poles, has a lower profile, and mine is staked out with 36 stakes, including countless guy lines. When the winds got over 60mph, the Bombshelter stayed up, but it was constantly flexing and, as said before, we had to re-stake it several times. My Marmot (much smaller with the lower profile and staked out in 36 places) essentially didn’t budge. If the winds had picked up another 10-20 mph or so, we clearly would have been solely in the Marmot.

The obvious dilemma about bringing the two smaller tents as opposed to one bigger one is that they are more stable and trap more body heat. But they also don’t allow you to stand up or put a table in there, etc … Depends on your needs. If the weather was likely to be really extreme, I would prefer to have two smaller expedition tents. If not, a bigger stand-up tent would be better.

Here's the Bombshelter and Marmot. You can barely see the Marmot, but can get an idea of the lesser profile:

[Linked Image]

This is it more close-up:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of pics of the AK Guide:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MarineHawk is giving great advice. Even when I am setting up steel framed Weatherports, if they are likely to get severe winds ( 60-100 mph winds !) I will make sure there is a spare Mt Hardware, North Face or Kelty expedition dome tent set up and protected in the alders. As I have had Weatherports, Arctic Ovens and Bombshelters blow away during the night and when your tent departs at night during a 100 mph blow, your sleeping bag and cot are usually not far behind.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.