Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Our weather is not nearly as severe as AK, but we do get some wind now and then.

We have a Mountain Hardware Trango-2 for a fallback tent. It was the tent we started with back in 1995.

We're both in our 50s, and enjoy a little more creature comfort of a larger tent most of the time. Chairs, table, cots, woodstove, etc.

A couple years ago we purchased a 12x14 wall tent with internal frame as well. It's really comfy to live in for a while, but a bit more work getting it set up, heavy, bulky, and catches a lot of wind. Then getting it dry.

Gopher safari with dad, and my brother. Living large,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Been thinking about an 8-man Seek Outside Tipi for ease of setup/takedown, low bulk storage, roominess, and supposed wind resistance, but I'm not sure how well they REALLY take the wind.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I bought another tipi, I think I"d almost go 12 man...

As to wind, I doubt mine has ever been in anything beyond 60 mph but it was fine in that wind.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rost495
If I bought another tipi, I think I"d almost go 12 man...

As to wind, I doubt mine has ever been in anything beyond 60 mph but it was fine in that wind.
\

Good info.

Are your thoughts on a 12-man based on having the 8-man? If so, I'm interested in your opinions/experiences with the 8 man, and where it seemed too small.

I'm thinking for two people, cots, chairs, table, woodstove, some room for firewood, and move a little bit. This is for camping near the truck, so backpack-ability is not much of a concern. Kind of a wall tent replacement, easier to set up, and wind worthy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
8 man might work ok for 2 folks with cots and such.

But when I bring cots into the equation, plus the fact of truck camping, I'd sure do the 12 man personally.

We have a 6 man thats about right for one person with a cot. 2 without is ok but not that roomy especially if running a stove. Which is one reason for a tipi IMHO.

I really should have gone at least 8. But I"m thinking doubling the size of the 6 man would be luxurious for 2 or 3 folks personally.

I don't recall seeing a 10 man, but that would probably be ideal for 2 folks with a lot of room.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, my reply got lost in the ether.

The thing with tipi's is the useable floor space is much smaller than the footprint, figure you reduce the radius of the footprint by a good 3 or 4 feet.

I got a black diamond mega mid figuring with a stove jack sewn in I'd have an affordable "4" man tipi with a stove. Reality is I have a 1 man tipi with the stove added.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
These are just my own experiences, so take them with a grain of salt. I have spent a lot of time both in the Bombshelter and in my Alaskan Guide 8-man. They are both great tents. But if set up in the best way possible for each, I think the AK Guide tent actually is a little better. The Bombshelter is more rectangular and takes a bit more hit with the high winds. It still works, but I found that you have to go outside every so often and re-stake the heavy fly which tends to buffet in the wind and pull the stakes harder. The AK Guide has a more aerodynamic dome shape, more rigid, and in my experience, with the same type of high winds, it does not pull out stakes as much. Mine came with an attachable 7”x10” vestibule. The whole thing with all of the guy lines is held by 46 stakes. It’s pretty secure when you use all of that. Just my own experience.

All that being said, if you’re concerned about really bad weather, you might be better off with two 11-lb three man tents, which would be less than half the weight of either of the above. Last Sept. in SW Alaska, my guide had his 10x1 Bombshelter set up, and I brought the backup—Marmot Thor 3p tent. These are successfully used on Everest expeditions. It has six high-strength aluminum poles, has a lower profile, and mine is staked out with 36 stakes, including countless guy lines. When the winds got over 60mph, the Bombshelter stayed up, but it was constantly flexing and, as said before, we had to re-stake it several times. My Marmot (much smaller with the lower profile and staked out in 36 places) essentially didn’t budge. If the winds had picked up another 10-20 mph or so, we clearly would have been solely in the Marmot.

The obvious dilemma about bringing the two smaller tents as opposed to one bigger one is that they are more stable and trap more body heat. But they also don’t allow you to stand up or put a table in there, etc … Depends on your needs. If the weather was likely to be really extreme, I would prefer to have two smaller expedition tents. If not, a bigger stand-up tent would be better.

Here's the Bombshelter and Marmot. You can barely see the Marmot, but can get an idea of the lesser profile:

[Linked Image]

This is it more close-up:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A couple of pics of the AK Guide:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MarineHawk is giving great advice. Even when I am setting up steel framed Weatherports, if they are likely to get severe winds ( 60-100 mph winds !) I will make sure there is a spare Mt Hardware, North Face or Kelty expedition dome tent set up and protected in the alders. As I have had Weatherports, Arctic Ovens and Bombshelters blow away during the night and when your tent departs at night during a 100 mph blow, your sleeping bag and cot are usually not far behind.

Thanks 458Win. It can be comforting when out in the middle of nowhere to have a good low-profile four-season expedition-like tent (there are many good ones). With the lower profile and smaller space, if set up and guyed out as well as possible, they are about as weather protective as anything not make out of concrete. They also can trap heat more efficiently. My 10-yr-old son and I recently backpacked locally with the same Marmot tent when the temps got down to about 10 degrees. Nothing crazy I know, but we did it a few weeks before with a three-season tent, when it was about 30 degrees at night. With the Marmot, even though it was much colder, we were sweating with the same gear and had to keep our bags unzipped to keep from sweating inside. Our water bottles were half frozen with the 3-seaon tent the first time, but, in much colder temps, were almost room temperature in the Marmot. But the main thing is that the 4-season expedition tent is seemingly almost impervious to winds up to about 70 mph (the highest I have had to experience). Any large stand-up tent is more comfortable in moderate conditions, but I like the smaller bombproof stuff when things get wild.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Our weather is not nearly as severe as AK, but we do get some wind now and then.

We have a Mountain Hardware Trango-2 for a fallback tent. It was the tent we started with back in 1995.

We're both in our 50s, and enjoy a little more creature comfort of a larger tent most of the time. Chairs, table, cots, woodstove, etc.

A couple years ago we purchased a 12x14 wall tent with internal frame as well. It's really comfy to live in for a while, but a bit more work getting it set up, heavy, bulky, and catches a lot of wind. Then getting it dry.

Gopher safari with dad, and my brother. Living large,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Been thinking about an 8-man Seek Outside Tipi for ease of setup/takedown, low bulk storage, roominess, and supposed wind resistance, but I'm not sure how well they REALLY take the wind.

Nice pics. I have a pleasant image of a table going up with the poker chips and cards coming out after dinner.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We had a great time for sure. None of us are card players, but after dinner we went back out for a pre-sunset gopher walk, then had some refreshments and BS until dark.

That's my brother in the foreground, and he recently retired after 32 years on the Tacoma Fire Dept. Dad was also in the Tacoma Fire Dept for 34 years, and retired some years back. They both have a lot of stories to tell.

I didn't really grow up with them in my life, so since I've settled down, it's been great to spend some time with both of them. We all have a big interest in guns and reloading so there's tons of common ground. This was the first time we had camped together since the early 1960s when my brother and I were preschool age.

Just us boys. Great bonding. It meant a lot to Dad as well, as he's getting up in his 80s, and mobility is not what it once was.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Used the guide model tent for many years, had 2 collapse from snow load and another from wind. Switched to the cabela's extreme weather tent (12 man) and have never had a problem. Have used it for 5 seasons now, very satisfied. There are better tents, but not for the money in my opinion. For 2-3 people it is lika having a cabin.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I were to buy a new tent that I would have to practically live in for 365 days of the year, the Artic Oven would be the one for me. Expensive but worth their weight in gold when the weather gets downright nasty.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

For EXTREME use there are few equals and I have a couple Hilleberg tents and believe in them completely. But they are not general purpose tents for ordinary hunting trips...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Used NF VE 24s and 25s and Bibler I tents on Makalu, Denali and in the Aleutians. Both stood up to sustained high winds, no problem.

The Bibler(right around 5 pounds) was great for several DIY backpack hunts in Washington and Montana.

U
UAE Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Hello

Hm unfortunately nothing can compete with a Hilleberg tent....

if you look for a 3 or 4 men tent. I would strongly recommend a "black label" Keron, savior or Saitaris tent.

I personally own and use a Akto and Tarra... they are expensive but they "outclass"any other brand... from Alaska or anywhere in the world....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Survived a night of winds in excess of 60 knots in a Kifaru 8 man tipi on the Alaska Peninsula chasing caribou. Tent did fine. Stove was a real treat.
Regarding tipi size with stove, sleeping on pads reduce the manufacturers stated size by half. If sleeping on cots reduce by half minus 1. So an 8 man tipi is really a 4 man on pads and a 3 man on cots.
It is possible to increase the wind buffeting capability of a 3 season tent to almost a 4 season level by a few simple modifications. Sew a few extra guy loops to the tent. On all guy out points add a loop of shock cord by closing the loop of shock cord through the guy out tab with 2 stainless steel hog rings. These rings are used to close sausage casings (not usually stainless) and also in furniture/auto upholstery. You need hog ring pliers. LEM has the least expensive. Use the yellow Line Lockers from Campmor on the guy out lines. If you are anticipating heavy weather put rocks on the tent stakes but make sure they are on the stakes not the tent fabric. A vestibule definitely helps the tent shed wind better. On some tents (Eureka Timberline) fabric needs to be added to the factory vestibule to increase wind shedding.
Using these modifications I have survived straight line winds in the BWCA in a Eureka 4 man Timberline which normally does not shed wind very well. I am convinced they are worthwhile mods to the Cabela Guide tents. Be advised the mods increase the weight of the tent by a surprising amount.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bombshelter.

I lived in one for 5 months in AK. It even held up in 60mph winds. While I only lived in it for 5 months it was used the two previous years also. So they last. We actually screwed to corners down and it was on a plywood platform. Even if you didn't they are still awesome. Also pretty quick to set up and roomy on the 10x10's.

Last edited by sierrabravo45; 02/18/15.
P
P
I'd have to go with WeatherPort. We have a 14x16 SQ model structure setup as a semi-permanent base camp tent. They are very high quality, easy to put together, and will last a long time in bad weather.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put my money in an Arctic Oven...
-35 F wind blowing 35 MPH and it was 65 F inside the AO.
We used a 12x12 box stove for heat.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I like the two tent option in a lot of situations.
In the case of these two pics the hille was moved but kept within reasonable distance so like Phil said if needed you could relocate to it in the middle of a the storm or night.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

180 members (10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 5sdad, 360bull, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.