Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9562149 01/31/15
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Swapped my way into a really nice S&W 16-2 this morning, been looking for a 32 H&R for a while and this one fell into my lap. It got a box of shells with it and have another box or so squirreled away somewhere. I think it'll be a darn nice woods bum pistol for varmints and small game.

Anybody else shoot one? Or load for one?

I'm planning to get a mold for it but there isn't a great deal of options. Don't want a RN and I'm not sure about 115gr 32-20 bullets in this little case. I'm thinking I'll probably have to get a custom mold cut and I'm thinking about a Keith bullet around 95gr. Any input?
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TheKid; 01/31/15. Reason: Add pic
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look for the NOE 115 grain pb. swc. Good bullet in the 32 Mag.
Also the NEI 100 grain plain base swc which is the CC mold with the check removed. Both good bullets. The Nei mold has a shorter nose which means little to the K frame.

Last edited by william_iorg; 01/31/15.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cool looking revolver, looks like it should be pretty handy. I was thinking about finding something similar, maybe a Single action Ruger.

Let me know how it shoots.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have the same revolver only with the 8 3/8" barrel, a Ruger Single-Six (4 5/8" barrel) and a Marlin 1894. I use either Honady's XTP (85 or 100 grain) and some 95 grain cast GC. All of these guns are VERY accurate with the loads they like (I use the 1894 for cowboy silhouette - pistol cartridge).

Not much not to like - low recoil, accurate, and economical (use 4 grains of powder or less for almost all of my loads) grin

Nice find and you WILL enjoy it!!

PennDog

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had been looking for a ruger SSM for a couple years and never dreamed I would find a S&W first. Have a buddy with a pair of the rugers, one std and one Bisley, he wouldn't part with one of them though. I'm anxious to shoot it, have to try to dig me up a holster and take it along ice fishing tomorrow.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that's a 16-4, 6".

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like shooting (and carrying) the H&R 32 MAG - I have a Ruger Single-Six Vaquero and a S&W 432-PD Snub Nose Revolver in that caliber.

> http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/7307013545/8964045/432pd.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg <

> http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/3751003016/10128769/885539b79eaab7a5f3cbd6a1fc4d8f4f.jpg <

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 4ager
I believe that's a 16-4, 6".

Indeed it is. I wish it had the finger groove combats on it but beggars can't be choosers.

What powder is everyone using in their 32s? I'm assuming I can do good work with Unique, 2400, and LilGun like I do in 38,357, and 44.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I use Unique and Titegroup mostly some Lil'gun if I want to spice things up a bit grin

PennDog

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You want to make it hummmmmm...have it rechambered for .327 Federal or if you don't want to ruin the collectors value find a matching .22 rimfire cylinder and have it rechambered and fitted.

As to a mold... Accurate Molds...I just got another one and it took only 10 DAYS....

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php

Take a look at #s:
31-105K
31-105KG
31-110H
31-120C
31-120K
31-120KG
and my favorite
31-120S
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-120S-D.png

Great trade you made...I am still kicking myself for passing a 7.5" Freedom Arms 97 in .327 Federal I would have had for $1750.00....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the 31-120S for my Single 7. Good mold.

Slim
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That is an impressive looking bullet. What kind of speeds are you seeing out of the H&R with it? Just seems heavy I guess but it does have a lot of weight outside the case.

Do you guys get the aluminum or brass mold blocks?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
By the time this mold came out is was 32Less. A friend has about 8 of them so I usually shoot his.

As to the blocks, aluminum. I have aluminum, cast iron and brass and don't see a lot of difference in the quality of the boolits thrown or how long one can throw in a session. I can say that casting with a good quality 6 cavity aluminum mold is a lot less tiring than a 4-5 cavity brass or iron.

Bob

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
what bob said, i have moulds in all of those flavors. Yesterday, it being raining, i fired up the pot and decided to make some 170grain .308 flat nose for 30.30 using a lee aluminum new mould.
it took a while to get it honed in, but through just perfect bullets. Interesting enough the mould was marked .309, which is exactly what it cast too, and when i weighed them they came in at 172 grains, which was the nominal weight the mould was suppose to throw too. I think the mould cost about 24bucks.
i was thinking while i was doing this, they take a little getting use too, as they are so much lighter than the other types. Both i think a good and maybe a bad thing, just have to get use to them.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/01/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I load for 900 to 1,000 fps in the 32 Mag with the 120 grain bullets. Any higher pressure is hard on primer pockets.
In the 327 Federal between 1,200 and 1,300 fps is my goal. Case life is excellent and accuracy is good. Any of the usual suspect powders work fine with Hodgdon 110, Alliant Lil Gun and Ramshot Enforcer working fine. I am beginning to like IMR 300Mp too.
The brass molds are heavy and I see no advantage to them.

Slim
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've used the RCBS 98 gr. SWC, weighs about 100 grs with my alloy along with 3 grs of WST for several years in my Ruger Single Six 32 maggie. Its accounted for hundreds, if not thousands of ground squirrels, quite a number of rock chucks, cottontails, jackrabbits, a couple of rattle snakes & a couple dozen carp. The same amount of 231 works the same, my load runs about 950 fps & is a small game nightmare & a pound of powder goes a looooong way. I also have an 8 shot Balckhawk 327 if I feel really mean, it gets fed a 140 gr. Ferminator HP GC & a heavy dose of H110.

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 02/01/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget about the Speer 98gr wadcutters. You can load them down to where it feels and sounds like your shooting a 22 LR.

I shoot a lot of the 95gr LSCW. I have played with the 120gr semi-wadcutters but find there a little to heavy. I have also had good luck with the 100gr XTPs and 296.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've got a Ruger SP101 in .32H&R.. Really fun to shoot.. I use the Hornady 90 gr XTPs...

You got a nice Smith there- congrats sir..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
By the time this mold came out is was 32Less. A friend has about 8 of them so I usually shoot his.

As to the blocks, aluminum. I have aluminum, cast iron and brass and don't see a lot of difference in the quality of the boolits thrown or how long one can throw in a session. I can say that casting with a good quality 6 cavity aluminum mold is a lot less tiring than a 4-5 cavity brass or iron.

Bob
You just have to learn the idiosyncrasies. I've found that aluminum blocks like to be cast kinda hot, and cast fast. Since aluminum cools fast you have to keep up a brisk pace. If you're using a 6 cavity mold, you'll end up with a large pile of bullets in no time. I like them all, cast iron, aluminum, bronze; they all work just fine.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Update.
Well the darn thing is spooky accurate with Black Hills' cowboy load, which should be a good small game load. The old Federal 85gr HP that I had didn't shoot as well, about 2" at 10yd versus the BH one nickle sized hole at the same distance.
I has almost zero recoil, and a nice trigger both SA and DA as I've come to expect from Kframe guns. It does have a hell of a sharp report and a fair sized fireball with the Federal load.

I got everything I need to get started loading headed my way this week. Hornady Titanium Nitride die set, a stack of Starline brass, and a 90gr SWC mold and lubrisizer die.

I slugged the bore and gauged the cylinder throats last week. Throats are a perfectly matched .3145 for all six and the bore mics .314. Looks like I'm going to have to hone my sizer die out though, the only one I could find in stock was an RCBS .313, shouldn't be a problem though.

I ended up with a Lee mold to start with, not my favorite but I have a couple I make good bullets with, they just seem to give me a little more trouble than my Lyman and RCBS molds. I'm keeping an eye out for a deal on a used RCBS or an old Lyman 3118.

Can't wait to get out an bust some bunnies with this little rascal, need to round up a holster somewhere too.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A word of advise on the Hornady dies... Get some of their spray lube and make sure you clean your brass, as in tumble in dry media or wash before sizing. I had one set of the TN dies and after a very short while the sizing die was scratching the brass. I sent it back to the factory and they sent me a new die...and I sold the set without using them. That has never happened in the well over a million rounds I have loaded with other brand dies.

Bob

....and in part due to this thread I am no longer .32less. "It" arrives tonight.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Is it true that the 327 chamber is compatible with 32 ACP, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, as well as 32 H&R?

Seems I saw something like that on a Gunblast review or something. A lot of versatility in 32 ammo if so.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
RJM. I'll keep an eye on the dies. I have several other sets of the New Dimension dies and I haven't had any issues yet. What kind of 32 did you end up with?

I believe that you are correct on ammo compatability MontanaMarine. They all use the same dia bullet and the ACP is semi rimmed so I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Last edited by TheKid; 02/12/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a real find, congratulations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Is it true that the 327 chamber is compatible with 32 ACP, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, as well as 32 H&R?

Seems I saw something like that on a Gunblast review or something. A lot of versatility in 32 ammo if so.

I know for a fact that it works with .32H&R, .32 S&W Long, and .32 S&W. I'd not be surprised if it worked with the .32ACP, but I'm not sure. How it would headspace and not slip into the cylinder, I'm not sure.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.32 ACP is a semi-rimmed case, there's just enough of a lip there to stop it from dropping into the chamber.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Jim.

Looks like it'd work there, too.

Dang it, now I need a .327.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here was that review Jeff Quinn did on the Single-Seven 327, using a variety of different 32 ammo, including the 32 ACP.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Single7.htm

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Awesome Smith.

Congrats.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
RJM. I'll keep an eye on the dies. I have several other sets of the New Dimension dies and I haven't had any issues yet. What kind of 32 did you end up with?

...all I want to say at this point is that it all dflave and Idaho Shooter's fault...

Called and the gun had come in but my dealer has been sick and closed early...so hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to pick "it" up.

Bob

Bob

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am waiting with bated breath to hear more.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just finished up casting and sizing a small pile of bullets from my new Lee mold. I must say, I wasn't aware that Lee had redesigned their molds as it's been 5-6 years since I've bought one. They did a very nice job, the alignment pins are far superior to the older style and the handles as well as sprue plate have been improved.

I cleaned it up with a Qtip and some MEK and lubed the pivots with a smidge of bullet lube. Fired up my electric pot and was throwing good bullets in approximately 2 minutes after the alloy turned liquid.

The 90swc design that I bought is designed to be tumble lubed but I've had good luck using their other TL designs just as you would a bullet with standard line grooves. I ran them through the lubesizer and filled 4 of the 6 grooves with RCBS green lube. I'll put a roll crimp in the top groove and shoot a handful tomorrow at work to see how they shoot and if they show any sign of leading.

I didn't have much alloy left and what was in the pot was some I'd been using to cast BPCR bullets with a hollow base so it is only about an 11 on the Brinell scale. Time to go hunt up some wheelweights and Linotype to get serious about getting some speed out of this little cartridge.

Ended up loading them over 5.0gr of AA5 with a CCI 500 for spark. It occurred to me after I'd loaded some that the loaded rounds look like little Crayola crayons due to the nose shape. [Linked Image]

Last edited by TheKid; 02/23/15. Reason: Add pics
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a 4 5/8" and a 6" Single Six. They really like 115 gr LFN from Hunters Supply.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had the off and on yearning for a 32 mag for a long time now. I kept telling myself all I had to do was get a 105 gr mold for my 38's and 357's and I could load them down to 32 levels and save all that money on another gun, brass, dies and bullet molds.

This thread isn't helping laugh That and the 105 gr just don't seem to shoot quite as well as I'd like out of the 357. Hmm, maybe I just need to get another 357 and 38 and see if that'll help, before taking the 32 plunge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A .32 Single-Six is just too much fun. The 16-4s are ridiculously accurate.

You need a .32.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
^^^ Agreed. .32 mags are way too much fun. While I like the 7-shot .327 Federal, I really wish Ruger would return the Single Six .32 mag to the lineup.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got to shoot a little bit at work the other day. It seems that 5.0gr of AA5 under the little Lee SWC is a pretty good load. Further testing is required but so far I have no leading, 5 shots at ten yards you can cover with a nickle, book claims about 1200fps, and they penetrated 6 1/2" of wet newsprint in a straight line. Report is not as bad as the Federal factory load and of course recoil is non existent.

Just need some rabbits or a coyote to test drive it on now. Found an old Hunter brand holster that suffices for now. But I'm thinking of getting a tanker to wear over my winter gear while snowmachining.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My Ruger's are as well. Both needed their throats opened and forcing cone cut to do so. Much prefer the light weight of the Ruger.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.