Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had to sell my nice Ruger Hawkeyes in 9,3X62 recently to fund my dive off a ladder.

I recently got a Santa Fe Mauser in 30-06 for a couple hundred. It has a trash stock, but I have a good replacement.

JES Re-Boring will turn it into a 9,3X62 for me for $225.00, including shipping it back. They do the 9,3 as three groove rifling. Is there any drawback to this re-bore?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a collectors item, go for it!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Take your $225 and put a new tube on it. I've had 4 rebores and have never been satisfied with any of them.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ed,

What did you have bored? From what to what, and what gun manufacturers?

Just curious and looking for specifics. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
He re-bored a Tikka .270 into a great shooting 35 Whelen. If I had a donor rifle to re-bore to a 9.3x62 I would not hesitate!!

Ted
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I would too if it would install, head-space, and blue itself for the price. wink

The $225.00 is busting my present budget.

I'm curious why Ed is soured on the re-bore route and value his comments and reasons. ???

Also why he tried four times?

Last edited by luv2safari; 01/31/15.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
None that I can think of. My guess is you'll be well pleased with JES's work. I had him do a 30-06 to 375 Whelen and it turned out great. I've never heard anything bad about his work. He did a three groove on my 375 and it shoots fine.

My 35 Whelen was done by Cliff LaBounty from a 30-06. It thinks it's a varmint gun.

I wouldn't be afraid of a rebore from JES.

Last edited by mart; 01/31/15.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go for it then. For a realistic hunting rifle in that caliber I'm sure it will be sufficient.

I think Rost had one done that was only giving decent accuracy not great but it killed his moose laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How is his turn around time?

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had two Pre-64 Model 70 .220 Swift barrels re-bored and re-chambered to .280 Remington by Delta Gun Shop & Clearwater Re-boring (Cliff LaBounty's old outfit) and I'm happy with both of them.

I'd do it again but how many .280s does one person need?

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The rifle is now chambered for the most useful and popular cartridge ever.

Just use it as it is. Boring out it's barrel will just cost money and gain nothing but hobby amusement. You can sell it when you find what you want more.

Meanwhile keep searching for a medium bore that's well priced that you like.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have plenty of others in 30-06, and I do use the 9,3X62 for elk and as a medium bore thumper when in grizzly country, where we pick huckleberries. I still have considerable brass, ammo, bullets, and a set of dies.

Besides...I want one! laugh wink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had a .30-06 rebored to .35 Whelen by Randall Redman and two .357's rebored to .44 Special by Cliff La Bounty. All three shoot extremely well, JES has an excellent reputation as far as workmanship. While I have yet to use JES, I understand that their turn-around time is amoung the best, sometimes little more than a couple of weeks. I waited 6 months or more for my REdman and La Bounty rebores.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then buy a 9.3!

Boring out that 06 just destroys it's value.

Look on the net.

There are hundreds of 9.3's for sale tonight!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The '06 has little value, and 9,3X62s are expensive. Ask the two who bought my Ruger Hawkeyes. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Can always count on 99 to bring his myopic opinion to these matters. At $200 for for the rifle, $225 for the rebore, and $50 on the high end for shipping both ways the OP is into it $475. Just how many 9.3x62's are available for that kind of money.

Ruin it's value? Really? You remind me of the guy who wouldn't sell me his model 71 348. He had it for sale and it looked rough. Really rough. Almost no blue, the wood was worse and the bore was like a gravel road. When he found out I wanted to use it to build a 50 Alaskan he refused to sell it. All of a sudden it was too fine a collectable Winchester to butchered like that.

Get it rebored and enjoy your new 9.3. It'll be a lot of fun and Jes will do a good job and it'll be just as valuable or more so when it's done.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had JES re-bore a rough Winchester pre-64 94 30-30 to 38-55.

It turned out GREAT! Would I do it again? YES, in a heart beat!

JES lives about an hours drive from me. Makes it pretty nice.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sometimes my expectations are like a few others. Probably too high.

Had JES do a rebore on an 06 to 338-06. It shoots fine. But not like I prefer. Its pretty much solidly 1.25 moa or maybe 1.5 moa. Easy minute of moose as far as I should dare...

It fouls like crazy and I'm on the 3rd treatment of DBC with it.

I really need to call him and ask if I spent the extra cash to send it back, could he relap the barrel?

It may shoot fine with other bullets, but I won't shoot anything but barnes. It also may not foul as bad with others.

All this being said, it would cost double what he charges, to get a good tube on it. at a minimum likely. So take it for what its worth cost wise.

Also even though it fouls, and its been said before, at some point it is fouled period... and it retains its accuracy. Can't really ask for more.

Had a factory 338 win mag do teh same until it was finally coated twice with DBC.

Depending on what you are after for accuracy, that might be the only thing that would steer me away from a rebore.

And others want to know why someone would try 4 times. I don't think I would but I've tried douglas barrels 3 times in my life. I won't ever use them again but I just had to know if it could have been a fluke or two...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
JES did mine.

Redding dies, Hornady brass and bullets =

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 70 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,266
Posts18,448,266
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.