Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
For those who have experience with this pack, has the zipper location caused problems with access to the inside of the bag? This seems to get good reviews but I am concerned I would get frustrated trying to find things in the pack while in the field. I realize I get add pockets etc. but suddenly I end up with 600 bucks in a day pack.

I don't want a dual purpose pack with an external frame that compresses as I will be using this as a carry on while flying.

Last edited by herschel34; 02/01/15.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I never saw the zipper as a problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have one and love it. I don't like packs with a million little pockets. I have a couple pouches I keep in side to keep things organized.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Used a 1st gen Spike Camp for years as my go to pack. Wore it out and got another. The new ones have a bottom zipper access also. I used mine on many trips up north as a carry on. Works great on a horse. You can use it for over nite if you pack lite. Suspension is good enough for packing meat, heads, horns, etc. It's a great day type pack. It is a top loader, never had an issue with it. Had a Late Season also which is a little bigger pack that you can still use for a carry on. They are great packs as well. Patrick Smith (Kifaru, founded Mountainsmith years ago in Boulder, CO.) makes one if not the best mountain hunting packs there are IMHO.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What Sheephunter 2 says is pretty much what I would say. For small items you can add one side pocket that allows one to access such items w/o taking the pack off the shoulder.
Or you can put small items in a mesh bag for easy access from the top. There is a back pocket which I use to hold extra ammo, and other small items. There is also a small, zippered pocket at the top of the inside of the bag that I use for headlamps, tags/licenses, lense pen, etc.
Really had to think about spending the money for one. But once I did, I have never had any regrets. Carrys significant loads like nothing else I've tried. E

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mine is a generation 1, and I think carrying "significant loads" needs a little qualification on what a significant load is. It carries moderate loads better than most daypacks but if I know I'm going to be hauling meat or something heavy, the hipbelt on the Spike Camp is not in the same league as other full-sized packs, including the K-packs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Agreed. It wouldn't be my first choice for strictly packing but it will work for moderate loads to get out a boned out sheep or caribou, sheep head w. horns, etc. Used it for this many, many times. The newer suspension is way better I'm sure.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Glad to hear such great reviews! I hate fumbling around when it's getting dark and my hands are getting cold looking for some miscellaneous item that I need but can't find when I need it. This alleviates some concerns.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've carried a spike camp many many miles hunting all kinds of critters, big and small. It's a really good pack.

If you're worried about laying your hands on something small buried in the pack, get some organizer bags. Kifaru makes pull outs, Eagle Creek makes quarter cubes, Vaultz makes mesh organizer bags, they all work great.

Circles
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Spike is a DAY pack, and a small one at that. I'd buy a Late Season with 24in stays. No, actually I'd buy a Hill People Gear Ute.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Why do you like the Ute better than the Kifaru?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Lots of good advice.
I also own a Gen 1 Spike Camp I bought used in like-new condition maybe 10 years ago.
Very light weight pack but it's light weight because it is a single zip top loader with very minimal organization.

Gen 2 does add the bottom zipper and of course some more weight but better access.

>>I realize I get add pockets etc. but suddenly I end up with 600 bucks in a day pack.<< You nailed it. Be patient and look for a used one or get something else with better organization a lot cheaper.

If you plan on hunting in cold weather and are sold on a Kifaru, I'd look at the Late Season. Still airline compatible, holds more gear and costs more money.

I would second smokepole's comments about "significant loads". The true cost/benefit of Kifaru packs is heavier loads with their larger packs/belts where they stand above the rest. The Spike Camp isn't a hauler.

In my opinion, carrying 15-25 pounds of airline or day hunt gear comfortably doesn't require a $425 pack. Find a used one at a good price and it might be justified.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by LostArra
Lots of good advice.
I also own a Gen 1 Spike Camp I bought used in like-new condition maybe 10 years ago.
Very light weight pack but it's light weight because it is a single zip top loader with very minimal organization.

Gen 2 does add the bottom zipper and of course some more weight but better access.

>>I realize I get add pockets etc. but suddenly I end up with 600 bucks in a day pack.<< You nailed it. Be patient and look for a used one or get something else with better organization a lot cheaper.

If you plan on hunting in cold weather and are sold on a Kifaru, I'd look at the Late Season. Still airline compatible, holds more gear and costs more money.

I would second smokepole's comments about "significant loads". The true cost/benefit of Kifaru packs is heavier loads with their larger packs/belts where they stand above the rest. The Spike Camp isn't a hauler.

In my opinion, carrying 15-25 pounds of airline or day hunt gear comfortably doesn't require a $425 pack. Find a used one at a good price and it might be justified.

Is the Late Season small enough to be a carry on for flights?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think so with 22" stays (according to the Kifaru website)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
24" stays are legit carry on for AK airlines, don't know the other airline rules, but really only fly AK airlines so thats all that mattered wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by herschel34
Why do you like the Ute better than the Kifaru?

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/3/ProductID/10/Default.aspx

The above (pic all the way to your right) is a "full-sized" pack, compressed down. What you are looking at is a center-zip compression panel, that rides outside of the main pack, and would mostly be used for sundry items and never unpacked. Elegant.

Last edited by Glocktard; 02/06/15.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The Spike is a great little pack. I have a Gen 1 and love it. Also have a Gen 1 Late Season, which would be my choice if I were forced to chose one ... more room if you need it and better weight handling ability. Neither one is well suited to hauling really heavy loads. I have made well over a hundred flights using both the Spike and the Late Season - returned to Seattle from Cancun last night on Alaska using Spike as a carry-on - never a problem.

Zipper placement and access to interior is not an issue.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 02/09/15.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Herschel, sent ya a pm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would go for the Late Season. It will do anything the Spike can do and quite a bit that the Spike can't. Also lighter/cheaper to have the LS by the time you get the Spike cubic inches up to the same level.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I tried the spike and found it to be just a bit to small for my needs, as someone mentioned it is a super powered $425 day pack. Stepping up to the Siwash gave me everything I needed without any additional bulk. It allows me to carry everything I need for a day hike plus emergency supplies in case I want/have to spend the night in the field. I have put 100 lb loads on it for a max of 8 miles and it was just fine.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.