Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Need some advice. I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 ext cab short bed with the 350 Vortec. It only has about 85k on it and is in great shape.

I'm thinking about putting a plow on it to do my driveway. We have been getting hit with 20" plus storms every year lately and I'm sick of spending 4-5 hours with a snowblower to get it done.

I'd probably look for a used plow and refurb whatever I have to when I install it. What kind of plows would you recommend? I was thinking a 7 1/2 ft blade would be about right.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I made the switch from a truck mounted plow to a fwa assist tractor with a front plow a few years ago. I wanted a nicer truck to drive every day without having to take the plow on and off. The plow tooks its toll on my truck over the years. That being said, I had a western plow and a Meyers plow in the past. Both were great . I suggest looking on the used market during the warm months for a deal. They are pricey new.[spoiler][/spoiler] I would avoid the temptation to buy one of the lighter plows that do not have controls in the cab. They will frustrate the crap out of you if you use them very often. Companies like POR-15 make products to refurbish the metal to make it look like new so don't be scared of one that won't win a beauty pageant .

Last edited by oznog; 02/01/15.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Fisher

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will take a toll on your front suspension parts, but that shouldn't be a problem if you are only doing one driveway

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To keep that 1500 in nice shape, pass on a plow kit.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would think very hard before putting a plow on a GM with IFS. The early '90s GM trucks have a history of front end problems, i.e. ball joints, tie rod ends and shocks failing with snowplow use. You also have to make sure that the front end heating element for the 4WD doesn't fail.

As far as plow brands, the most used brands here are Western and Boss.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
What is IFS?

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Independent front suspension

You also have to make sure that the front end heating element for the 4WD doesn't fail.
There's a fix for that miserable thermal actuator in the differential. It's called a Posi-lok. It converts the thermal gizmo to a manual one run by a knob on the dash. It's over priced but works great and permanently fixed the problem.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Buy a bigger snowblower or put a blade on an ATV.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 40" blower on the front of my Cub garden tractor that I've been using for about 20 years. Getting sick of the snow blowing back in my face but I'll get thru this winter with it and figure out what I'm going to do for next year.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the garden tractor is still working well, I'm pretty sure you can get an enclosed cab attachment for it.

― George Orwell

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If I was to put a plow on a pickup, it wouldn't be on a truck I liked. I don't know anyone that plows with a truck that doeas not have a "plow truck".

They beat the chit outta the rig.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If the garden tractor is still working well, I'm pretty sure you can get an enclosed cab attachment for it.

Cub doesn't offer one but there is an aftermarket option. Only problem is the price 3.5k. That's what I paid for the tractor 8 years ago.

I still think the plow is a good option. As long as I'm just doing my own driveway wear and tear should be minimal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3.5k for a cab enclosure? Holy cow! You can pay the neighbor kid for a lot of shoveling for that money.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Bill,
For the past 4 winters I have run Western HTS plow on my 1/2 ton Z71 Silverado. It's been a great plow. Designed specifically for 1/2 ton rigs. And I'd recommend it to anyone looking to put a plow on a half ton truck. I plow my drive (gravel and about 500') as well as a neighbor's drive and around her barns (horse farm) and I often assist with the in-laws house and around their business. If you're careful not to whale on things, it's not as bad on the truck as you'd think. I've not yet needed to do an alignment on my truck even with all the running around with the plow mounted. (and it's been on the truck for the better part of a month now and I run 45 miles round trip to work each day) Don't listen to the folks that tell you you need a "plow truck". BS. Just be a little cautious and you'll be fine. My past two trucks have both been daily driver/plow rigs and neither had excessive problems.

That said, the new plows go on and off very easily so it's really nothing to do your drive, drop the plow and not need to run the roads with it if you don't want to.

And as far as brands go, you couldn't pay me to run another Fisher or give me one that I'd bother to mount. I had one previously and it was nothing but trouble. Pump issues. Freeze ups with the hydraulics. I know guys here in the northeast tend to be Fisher loyalists, but not me. No way. Not interested in another.

Anyhow, best of luck with your decision. If you have any questions about the Western HTS plow, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Rob

Last edited by Technoman26; 02/09/15. Reason: fixed content
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Fisher and Western are made by the same company and a lot of the parts interchange .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
lot of people on here who havent had a plow truck it seems. Those trucks are good plow vehicles, lot of people running them around here, turn up the torsion bars and your good to go. Id look for a western ultramount if you want to be able to take it off quickly, otherwise a western unimount would be fine as well. 7'6 would be perfect for that truck.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks! I kind of forgot about this thread but not my need for a plow. Snow just keeps coming. I'll look into the Western HTS. My son has a Western on his F350. It's too big for driveways IMO but someone owed him money so he took it in trade.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you "turn up the torsion bars" make sure to check the front end alignment after you are done adjusting the torsion bars. The alignment will change and parts will wear out. BTDT.

That's why I will never have another plow on an IFS truck.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We use Hiniker. Similar to western. The last 3 have been on IFS trucks. The only one that is/was trouble is a 1985 bronco.
That short box chevy should actually be a good plow truck.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 160user, 1lesfox, 163bc, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,340
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.