-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was wondering if someone could tell me anything about these and perhaps suggest a fair value to ask at auction? I don't know if it's a sought after item or "just an old rusty gun".

This is a Remington Model 24 .22 Autoloader, it apparently predates the Browning .22 design as it loads through the buttstock and ejects from the bottom of the action. It is chambered for "22 LONG RIFLE - LESMOK OR SMOKELESS-GREASED". This one has a lot of surface rust and was d&t'ed at one time with two filler screws in the barrel now. However, it looks to be in good mechanical shape, no heavy pitting or cracks in the wood from what I could see. Didn't get a serial number but my quick research so far shows they were only made between 1922 and 1935 so DOM has to be within these dates.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This is a copy licensed to Remington of the Browning design. The DOM should be in a code of letters on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver-just above the stock line. Be careful of the bottom of the bolt. The front edge on mine is razor sharp
They made it a little bigger than the browning and then upped it again with the 241.. The 241 was my squirrel gun for years. Very accurate if the headspace is correct and adjusted right. Most of them have pretty poor barrels these days.
The code is based on BLACKPOWDER for 1-0 for the month and a letter or combination of letters for the year.
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_24

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The 24 and 241 are Browning's pattern SA-22 manufactured under license by Remington. As with any collectible, scarcity and condition are everything. Your rifle is pretty scarce, but it doesn't look to be in very good condition.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It looks like examples in similar rough shape are getting bids of $300 so I started this at $199 with no reserve and we'll let the auction market determine its actual value. Thanks for the help with this, I'm a fairly educated gun nut but know next to nothing about this particular model.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=466305617

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The wonder of the internet is that there are all kinds of people looking for a particular make, model, variety there of, of whatever they collect. Experienced collectors are usually pretty particular, inexperienced collectors often not so, but either way, their money all spends the same. Good luck with your action.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The owner let me bring all of the firearms to my house to clean and inspect more closely and this one is really in a lot better shape than those original pictures showed. I took off the surface rust with Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool and it has a fair amount of freckling but it retains a lot of the original finish. It takes apart very easily and the barrel is serial numbered to the receiver. The wood is sound with no cracks or punkiness from soaking in old oil.

One neat thing which was unexpected is that the bore is clean as a whistle. I ran some #9 soaked patches through it expecting to find years of gunk but they came out absolutely clean.

Based on what I saw when I got it cleaned up and compared to the pics of ones getting the $300 bids I raised the starting bid $100.

Thanks again for that link to the Remington barrel codes - the code on this is WW which puts DOM as August 1928. I found out from the owner it was his Grandmother's gun, as is a Model 12 20 gauge shotgun which was made in 1921.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cabela's in LaVista, NE, has a "meh" grade Remington 24 in their Gun Library for which they are asking $589. Since Cabela's works on a 35% margin on their used guns, they paid $383 for it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just verified that it holds 9 rounds and will feed them through the action slick as can be. The temptation is too much, if it isn't raining Friday I'm going to take the day off and take it out to the range to see how it shoots.

Will probably load up some light target loads for the 1924 vintage Winchester 1895 .30-06 that's going on the auction block and see how it shoots as well.

I figure I'm doing the bidders a favor by verifying that these old guns still work. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't forget that that design ejects the hot cases right down the shirtsleeve of the hand with which you're holding the forearm. 30+/- years ago I bought a Remington 241 from Pat's Pawn and Guns in Ogden, KS, just outside the east gate of Fort Riley. I think that it took one hot case down the shirtsleeve for me to hate that rifle and every other Browning SA22 design whether Belgian, Chinese, Japanese, or American made.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I noticed that it would do that when I put it up to my shoulder and saw where the supporting hand and arm are positioned. shocked

The more I play with this rifle the cooler it is. I found some disassembly instructions online and the breechblock and trigger come out easy peasy. You take the barrel off, pull the bolt back about halfway and then just slide the entire trigger and bolt mechanism forward out of the receiver - takes about two seconds to take it apart. It goes back in just as easily, pull the bolt halfway back and replace the entire unit. No springs fly out, it's all self contained and everything is right there for easy cleaning.

I'm sort of hoping no one bids on this, it's almost too neat to let get out of my hands - hot cases down shirt sleeves notwithstanding. wink

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Those are fine old rifles. I'd keep it if it were mine.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If it were mine so would I. smile

I'll see how much more it calls to me when I take it out shooting this Friday or Saturday. I told the owner I'd try to get him the best price but if no one bids I might have to close the auction and make hm an offer.

There's a lesson here. You try to do a favor for a stranger and it could end up costing you a lot of money... wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The rain quit this afternoon so I got out to the range after work to put this "old, rusty gun" through its paces. For an octegenarian it still hangs in there.

Had a couple of failures to feed the very first round but they were my fault, I quickly found that you have to let the bolt go forward smartly. But once over that it feeds, fires and ejects (very forcefully) without a hitch. Put a bit over 100 rounds through it with no problems today.

It's a shooter, too. My eyes ain't what they used to be but if you can hold a consistent sight picture regular open sights will get'r'done. I don't think any Anschutz's or heavy barreled target rifles need worry about competition but for a little semi-auto with a loose barrel it does just fine. It would be interesting to find an old scope mount for it to see what it could really do.

These are 1" squares, all groups shot at 25 yard with the rifle held in both hands and my forward hand on sandbags.

Nine rounds of Winchester Super-X - the first group I tried. Hadn't got the hang of consistent sight picture here.

[Linked Image]

CCI AR-Tactical. Still a bit of vertical stringing but again, that's probably 62 year old eyes doing that. That group is 9 rounds with 7 into 1/2".

[Linked Image]

Wolf Match Target, 15 rounds. I blew one flyer but the other 14 rounds went into .95".

[Linked Image]

Last group for final sight in. By this time I figured out the magazine held 10 rounds, not 9. Fired 10 on the right, tapped the rear sight and fired 5 more for effect. I'd say it's sighted in pretty good.

[Linked Image]

After sighting in I plinked at small rocks and bits of wood and had no trouble bouncing them out to 50 yards or so. This thing is a blast to shoot. The heavy breechblock gives it a nice recoil on every shot, just enough for a little fun. I rattled off a couple of 10 shot strings as fast as I could fire and it kept right up.

And not a single piece of hot brass went down my shirt sleeve. wink

After arriving home it took me all of 30 seconds to check that there were no bids on the auction and end it. Looks like I bought myself a 1928 vintage Remington Model 24. grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got one, a .22 Short Only, that is a lot of fun, but only holds 5 rounds in the magazine (an old gallery gun). Mine has been reblued, but it's a solid old piece.

Don't (DO NOT) use High Velocity ammo in the Model 24, it was made before Hi-Speeds came out, and isn't made for them. The 241 is more modern, and suitable for Hi-Speed ammo.

You've got hold of a great old gun, have fun with it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I read that warning against high velocity ammo on another web site after I got home - oops. blush Afraid I already violated that with about 65-70 rounds of the Super-X and CCI ammo - note the comment about how it ejected very forcefully.

But I don't think I hurt anything with those few rounds, I took the breech block/trigger group out of the action and everything looks good. In fact the springs look brand new. That breech block is a solid, heavy piece of steel, I'd almost bet you could replace the recoil spring with a stronger one to retard the breech block and make it suitable for high speed ammo, but that's just idle speculation, I have no wish to do so. The warning I read was that use of high velocity ammo could lead to parts breakage and would certainly wear it prematurely, so if I fire it again it will get the last of my stock of CCI Standard velocity or maybe more of those Wolf Match Target rounds, I still have a couple of bricks of those.

But even though I took it off of the auction site, I'm about 99% sure it will be relisted again tomorrow. It's like a quick infatuation with something new (new to me), it's a gee whiz toy with all the fun of learning about it. But then I got home and there sat my almost 50 year old, basic Ruger 10/22 carbine that has never, ever jammed, wears a nice scope, is still bug hole accurate after all these years, is d&t'ed for a peep sight if I want and basically has been my faithful companion since I bought it in 1968.

So, I got to play with a neat old rifle for a little while and scratched that itch. Time to send it along and get back to reality.

And besides, what I really want to spend my money on is that Model 95 Winchester I shot this morning and posted about in the Hunting Rifle forum - talk about a gee whiz new toy! wink

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can't find any standard velocity Shorts, so I've been using HS ammo in it, very limited numbers, though. I can't sell mine, my late brother gave it to me just before he passed.
I think mine is older than your friend's, about 1924, according to the serial number. Fun old gun, but I need a scope.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just saw this thread while searching for info to find DOM for a rifle my FIL gave me before he passed . . . in 1995. I completely forgot about it and never shot it.

Remington Model 24, manufacture date code is RW (Aug 1924). Now I need to clean it up and get it out and run some LR sub-sonics through it.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.