24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last I read Colt has the M4 contract, FN the rifles contract. Colt also has a contract on the 1911 for the Marines.

There were reports a few weeks ago Colt was buying LWRC for $60 million; but so far I have seen no official confirmation.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't see the Colt M4 going anywhere for a long time.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back on the subject of SAA's - I recently bought a USFA China Camp from a relative that needed money. My one previous SAA was a 3rd Gen Colt New Frontier, which was really good looking, but not well fitted.

This USFA does feel pretty nice in the hand, and with the action well fitted, works smoothly and precisely - probably how 1st Gen Peacemakers felt in their day, and maybe how a mint example still feels today.

I still prefer the Ruger Bisley grip for stout loads, but after handling this USFA, I see why the SAA became so iconic in its day...

...but now I gotta be careful not to slip a "Ruger only" load into the China Camp blush

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 05/07/14. Reason: last sentence

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't see the Colt M4 going anywhere for a long time.

Travis
It's a very tough act to follow that's for sure. But they are getting long in the tooth, and inventories will be well worn out by the time we wrap up the war. There are "better" designs out there, but when you adopt a new rifle, you know there are going to be bugs. Most of those bugs are related to materials and manufacturing, not the design itself. So you really want to make a switch during peacetime, not in a war like we did last time. But I think when the war is over, the M4 will be slated for replacement inside of 10 years.

Of course there has been no less than 4 of 5 programs to replace the M16 since it was adopted, so who knows. Like I said, it is a rather tough act to follow.

hclark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well if all you bull shooters will allow me, I'll get back to the subject at hand. Colt will send you a letter saying what configuration the gun was in, the date shipped, and who it was shipped to for $150 if it is in their shipping record books. However, there is one record book missing, and entries are jumbled and incomplete for the early years.

I talked to Ron Graham, the leading authority on civilian Colt SAA's today, and he is excited about examining the gun. I will ship it to him in a couple of weeks, and if it is genuine, hope to get a letter of authentication signed by him.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Screw shipping it.... if he is THAT 'excited', he'd be falling all over himself to fly/drive out to see it......

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That is a very nice SAA, it's a great find and could be a historic one too.
There are many sources available for it's history, John Kopec is one contact.
Colt Letters cost $100, I have one and another on the way.
They do not include any history, only how it left the factory and where it was sent.
Here are examples of my three generations on SAA. Top one is a 1920 that was sent to the Browning Brothers Shop in Ogden UT, middle is a 1963 and bottom is a 2008 (this one is out getting ivory grips, engraving and nickelplating) .
There is just something special about Colt SAA, maybe because of my cowboy days as a kid in the 50's .[Linked Image]

Last edited by jbmi; 05/09/14.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hclark
Well if all you bull shooters will allow me, I'll get back to the subject at hand. Colt will send you a letter saying what configuration the gun was in, the date shipped, and who it was shipped to for $150 if it is in their shipping record books. However, there is one record book missing, and entries are jumbled and incomplete for the early years.

I talked to Ron Graham, the leading authority on civilian Colt SAA's today, and he is excited about examining the gun. I will ship it to him in a couple of weeks, and if it is genuine, hope to get a letter of authentication signed by him.

Bad ass.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let us know how it turns out. You have a real find there.

hclark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"There are many sources available for it's history, John Kopec is one contact."

jbmi,
I talked to Kopec shortly after getting the gun. He was interested in it, but declined to examine it because it is not a military Colt, which is his specialty. He was the one who suggested that I call Graham.

You are correct that Colt letters are only $100 (and take about 3 months to get); I had the $150 in my head because for the extra $50 they will give you the info over the phone with the followup letter arriving about two weeks later, and that's the way I do it.

Last edited by hclark; 05/09/14.

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
"There are many sources available for it's history, John Kopec is one contact."

jbmi,
I talked to Kopec shortly after getting the gun. He was interested in it, but declined to examine it because it is not a military Colt, which is his specialty. He was the one who suggested that I call Graham.

Freakin' Colt snobs...

grin

Travis

hclark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update on Colt;

I never got renewed contact with Ron Graham, guess he wasn't as "excited" about the gun as I originally thought!!! However, I did send it to Dave Lanara, the man that Graham uses for his restorations, and has probably closely examined more SAA's than Graham has! Here is his letter of "authentication":

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ho...lee...schit.

That is simply beyond cool.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very cool!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done. Congratulations!

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess Kopec was wrong about it not being military.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I guess Kopec was wrong about it not being military.

He was right. The navy never ordered em. wink

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Take that, all you doubters...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Sweet

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you for putting this up, it has been a pleasure examining the excellent photographs of such a rare and lovely object. Plans?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,623
Posts18,398,611
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.