-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I recently acquired a Taurus model 62LA 22.This lever action has a safety on top of the gun,the first lever action that I have seen with a safety switch.Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not but when you load the gun it isn't like any other lever action you just can't run the shells through the gun it seem like you have to fire the gun in order to lever the gun again.Any info on these gun would help.I have Google but can't find much on them.
Thanks---Tim

Don't make excuses make adjustments
GB1

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think you have to cock the hammer back to work the action on this particular rifle, but may be wrong.

Last edited by 21; 02/03/15.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the info--21.When I got this rifle it didn't have any paperwork with it.But what you said is true.When you lever the gun and then de-cock the hammer it will lever again.Thanks again 21 for the response.

Tim

21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not many of those around, might want to hang on to that one!

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes you are right,after I purchased mine there was a man looking for one and was wanting to pay $700 for one.I have been collecting 22 and 22 mag lever action rifles that has the striaght stock and that is the only one that I have ever seen in person.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To cycle the action you just have to push in on the firing pin with your thumb to unlock it - same thing putting the hammer down does, but safer IMO, no chance of the hammer slipping off your thumb and unless you have really strong thumbs there is no chance of you pushing the firing pin hard enough to fire the gun! grin

These seem to be really rare, I looked for one for several years before getting a blued version - try to find the stainless version, one was sold on GunsAmerica and I heard of one other in stainless. My blued version is a 4 digit number ZL29xx. I have tried to find some production estimates on these but haven't, I asked several 'authorized Tarus dealers' about them and none had even heard of them!

I am thinking $700 might already be considered a bargain price for one of these.

Taurus still has some info on them -
62 LAR blued
62 LAR stainless

There is a link for 'user manual' - it's just generic and has nothing specific to the lever actions. It also says to drop the hammer to cycle the action - I don't like doing that at all because of the possibility of the hammer slipping. I have never liked the feel when releasing a fully cocked hammer on a gun with coil springs, they just seem to light at full cock and with some there is almost not pressure as you start releasing & then they just seem to take off. My Browning BLR 22 always makes me a little nervous when I put it on half cock.

Last edited by GeneB; 02/16/15. Reason: reworded slightly

Gene
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks GeneB for the info this is a great place and full of members with a lot of knowledge.I wished I would have joined a long time ago.
Thanks again---Tim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.