Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been looking for proof this wasn't a real fair-chase elk, but it looks like it was the real deal. I didn't think there were still monsters out there in General hunt areas.

[Linked Image]

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...d7418c2-f1f6-5231-8f2b-e398fa9d7335.html

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looking at those pictures, I'd have never believed that was Wyoming, and especially not near Dubois. Trees and grass just don't look right to me, but I'm not even close to being an expert on those types of things.

Congrats to the hunter on a magnificent bull!

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I've been looking for proof this wasn't a real fair-chase elk, but it looks like it was the real deal. I didn't think there were still monsters out there in General hunt areas.

[Linked Image]

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...d7418c2-f1f6-5231-8f2b-e398fa9d7335.html

Real Deal.

2 limited draw areas meet up against a very rough remote chunk of General. Lots of good bulls have come out of that spot over the years.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
WOW!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Impressive for sure!!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spent most of the summer in Dubois last year. I saw that rack, or one like it, on a cab of a truck in town, it was a huge 6x7. It is magnificent! Congrats to the hunter. There were some real nice Bulls taken, a young lady took a real beauty with a recurve first week of the archery only season.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What a bull.. Things dreams are made of..

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
+1. indeed what dreams are made of. Such an accomplishment on public ground.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by beretzs

Absolutely!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decent.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Indeed, this is a fabulous bull elk.

Over many years of personal elk hunting and guiding in Hell's Canyon, I've literally seen tens of thousands of bull elk.

I've seen many bulls that were almost as good as this one ... I say almost because they seemingly always had weak 3rds, a major tine broken off or one side that was limp. Hell, we even had a bull in Hell's that was a fantastic six-point on one side and a hellacious five-foot spike on the other.

I've seen precisely ONE elk that was of this bull's caliber ... and he might easily have been bigger. Actually, the one I saw was probably a bit bigger by ten-inches or so, but this one's dead and I had to let mine walk.

It was cow season, I had a cow tag in my pocket and all I could do was drool!!! The next day, I killed an ancient bitch of a lead cow that had screwed up stalks for us many, many times. In many ways, killing that toothless old hag and grinding her meat into delicious hamburger was almost worth not being able to kill the bull ... almost.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Indeed, this is a fabulous bull elk.

Over many years of personal elk hunting and guiding in Hell's Canyon, I've literally seen tens of thousands of bull elk.

I saw precisely ONE that was of this bull's caliber ... and he might easily have been bigger.

It was cow season, I had a cow tag in my pocket and all I could do was drool!!! The next day, I killed an ancient bitch of a lead cow that had screwed up stalks for us many, many times. In many ways, killing that toothless old hag and grinding her meat into delicious hamburger was almost worth not being able to kill the bull ... almost.

Steve

grin Almost.

Huge bull, amazing really.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We used to see a bazillon elk in Hell's. It is really amazing what a small percentage of large bulls there are, even in really remote, relatively unhunted zones.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Extraordinary Bull.

I assume the score is not a B&C number, but an SCI number?

Right now there is a genuine 400 class bull on the reserve in Jackson if anyone is headed that way...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep.
Gross.
Outstanding trophy.
Crossbows rule.

Have Dog

Will Travel

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Looking at those pictures, I'd have never believed that was Wyoming, and especially not near Dubois. Trees and grass just don't look right to me, but I'm not even close to being an expert on those types of things.

Congrats to the hunter on a magnificent bull!
The woods looks exactly like the woods I hunted in Dubois, minus the big bull, all I seen were dang bighorn sheep, lots of them and dumber then domestic sheep..... go figure. But long grass and all I believe this to be 100 percent legitimate. The locals are all talking about it. Shame there is a wolf pack pushing the elk right into town now......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amazing bull right there...

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by dogzapper

We used to see a bazillon elk in Hell's. It is really amazing what a small percentage of large bulls there are, even in really remote, relatively unhunted zones.

Steve

Yes Steve, and to me it appears that truth holds true for mule deer and especially whitetails.

I would appreciate your opinion on that.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,223
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.