Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Devil's Brigade veteran Al Wilson, 90, dies 1 day before getting U.S. medal

Hamilton man was part of elite special forces unit that was model for U.S. navy SEALS

By Samantha Craggs, CBC News Posted: Feb 02, 2015 6:27 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 03, 2015 8:44 AM ET

Al Wilson, 90, was due to get a U.S. Congressional Gold Medal from President Barack Obama on Tuesday. He died on Monday after a bout with pneumonia.

Al Wilson had so many medals on his blue blazer that his family joked they were weighing him down when he walked.

And Tuesday, the decorated war veteran was due to get one more — a U.S. Congressional Gold Medal for his service in the Devil’s Brigade, a legendary special service force so revered that it served as the model for the U.S. navy SEALS.

But it wasn’t meant to be. On Monday morning, one day before the ceremony that he was to attend in Washington D.C. to receive the highest honour the country gives to civilians, Wilson died at the age of 90.

'I did not cancel that flight until Saturday because I was hoping for a miracle.'- Debra Wilson, Al Wilson's daughter

The Hamilton veteran of the Second World War, who lived in rural Flamborough, was to attend the ceremony honouring the famed fighting unit, with four members of his family, including Madge, his wife of 69 years. He died on the morning of their anniversary.

It’s disappointing for the family, said daughter Debra, who was scheduled to make the trip. Wilson had loads of medals to his name from his time with the Devil’s Brigade. But he was humble, she said, not wanting attention paid to his war efforts.

“He was like ‘Oh, it’s another medal,’” said Debra, who lives in Hamilton, adding that “I was so looking forward to going to Washington D.C.”

Wilson was born on May 2, 1924 in Midland, Ont. He was an only child. His mother, a nurse’s aid, died when he was young. His father worked on ships.

While in England, he met Madge, a Yorkshire native who was a member of the army there. He brought her back to Ontario after the war, where he became a police officer.

Wilson moved to Hamilton in the 1950s to work in the local police service. He had a 35-year career, retiring as a sergeant about 30 years ago.

"I called him one of Hamilton’s damn finest sergeants,” Debra said. “He was a sergeant in the war and he was a sergeant on the police force."

The father of three had a full life after the military, gardening and boating and relaxing at the family cottage near Midland. But it was his work with the Devil’s Brigade for which he was best known.

Wilson fought along with six highly trained men and helped, among other efforts, with the allied liberation of Rome. During that battle, he came face to face with a German tank and fired at it so the rest of the group could escape, then dove over a wall to get away.

The Devil’s Brigade is famous for its historic role as an elite American-Canadian special force unit that the Germans called “the black devils.” They earned that name during a 37-day operation in Anzio, Italy, when Wilson’s brigade blackened their faces with boot polish to sneak behind enemy lines under cover of darkness.
Inspired a war movie

The brigade inspired a 1968 war film of the same name, based on a book co-written by American novelist Robert H. Adleman and Col. George Walton, a member of the brigade.

Wilson was humble about his role. “We were just doing our jobs,” he told CBC Hamilton last year.

He always felt strange about being applauded for what he did in the war, Debra said.

“He never wanted to glorify anything to do with the war,” she said. “He just didn’t think that was right. There were other people who died, and that took its toll on him. He was proud of who he was, but in a quiet, kind of humble way.”

Wilson was well enough to travel when his family made the plans to go to Washington in early January. He was frail, Debra said, but he still lived in the same house that had been his home for 45 years.
Family kept hoping

About two weeks ago, he caught pneumonia. His health deteriorated last week, and he died in Hamilton General Hospital.

Even as his condition worsened, Debra said, his family was on the fence about cancelling the trip. They were so used to seeing him come back from the brink.

“I did not cancel that flight until Saturday because I was hoping for a miracle,” she said. “I’ve seen him come back before from some horrible things. He had a can-do attitude.”

The family is still working out memorial plans. Even though Wilson was uncomfortable being recognized himself, they want this last honour — a memorial service befitting of a war hero — to be special.

“We really want to honour that guy,” she said, “because I’m so very, very proud of him.”

Jack Callowhill of Stoney Creek is also due to receive the medal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/n...medal-1.2942463[b][/b]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salute!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Miss Lynn,
Thank you for taking time to make us aware of this hero. He was 19y/o at Anzio and in non-stop combat for 37 straight days....and perceived it like it was just a stroll in the park.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Many thanks!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you mean these men??

Studs to the core.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for posting Lynn....

I have had the honor of meeting so many of these types of guys, while in the Army as they came thru for medical treatment...

no matter how many I have met and was able to talk to, both the bravery they displayed during WW 2, and yet their humility, never ceased to leave me in awe...

Canada and the world lost another truly great but humble hero...

I pray their is a special place in heaven for him and the many like him...

Blessings and condolences to him and his family....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thank You Al Wilson for your Sacrifice!
God certainly does have a special place for guys like this - Blessed Are The Peacemakers for they Shall Be Called The Children of God.

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had the honor of meeting several of those fine men when they had reunions in Helena. RIP Mr. Wilson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIP Al Wilson,
You certainly earned it!

Thank God for men like him....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rest In Honoured Peace Mr. Wilson.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Read the book "The Devils Brigade" by Adelman a couple of months ago, an interesting read, tough bunch of men for sure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,663
Posts18,455,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.