Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bodkin84
I thought some of you might be up on the latest technology and may be able to share your experience and knowledge. But looks like a bunch of old skool side lock hunters that think it should still be illegal to have a scope on a BP. Thanks for stating the obvious. I'm just going to order a new remington and use a string to fire the first 10 shots. And keep my fingers crossed wink

The barrel and breech plug steel is as strong and hard as it gets for a stainless steel, so I do not believe it is the strength of those components that would be in question. I believe the weak link is in the Johnston ignition system itself. The parent Johnston plug is clearly built stout enough to run a big load of 777 in his Johnston rifle, and the new Remington version of the plug appears stout enough to run big loads of BH209, but neither are stout enough according to Remington engineers to seal and hold up to the greater pressures of smokeless. The new Remington would need someone to invent a drop-in breech plug with a stronger and more positive seal to safely hold up to smokeless.

Charlie's smokeless rifle is a complete different animal built ground up around a specific load. Though his route for a 45 caliber sabot-less smokeless muzzleloader is to use a custom ignition system using a primed cartridge casing, vs the many other 45 smokeless builders using various custom 209 module ignition systems, this does not translate into either the Remington parent Johnston plug or the newer Remington version of the Johnston plug being suitable for the increased pressure. It would be a very bad idea with great risks of property damage, injury and death. Charlie's ignition system is designed to shoot his smokeless load, but the Johnston plug is designed to only shoot pellets, and the new Remington "Johnston" plug was improved in design to also handle Blackhorn 209. Neither was designed nor intended for smokeless loads such as Charlie's.

Quite a few have already been converted to 45 smokeless with a change in barrel, breech plug and ignition system; and some are entertaining the thought and are experimenting with designing a drop-in smokeless breech plug/ignition system to maintain the factory 50 caliber sabot barrel. But none of the later, to my knowledge, have hit the market as of yet.

If wanting to use the factory barrel, magnum 150 grain volume loads of BH209 have been proofed, to date, by Western Powders. When they are completed with testing, they will publish Remington Ultimate Only load data, which is expected to show safe the BH209 loads currently being used by Bob Parker, which makes the new Remington a 400 yard gun without smokeless. So if your goal is for a clean powder to use, and you have no need for these smokeless 700-yard game animal kills hyped on the internet, then BH209 in the new Remington is a viable option. Otherwise, choose a smokeless ignition system, and have the rifle converted to 45 smokeless. There are a number of guys having good track records making these conversions.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also injury to others unlucky enough to be nearby......

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You want a smokeless gun buy a Savage smokeless muzzleloader .This is a muzzleloader 4 -50gr pellets or 180 gr loose powder NOT SMOKELESS

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lol, so none of you guys ever shot or had a savage ml10 smokeless bp???
The benefits of using smokeless in a BP is obvious.... when you are going to deer camp for weeks at a time and using pyrodex your bore gets nasty and rusty, fouled rifling. Using smokeless eliminated all of that and keeps the boreclean. I know lots of guys sshooting smokeless in Thompson center encores and never had a issue. I have a savage 10ml and can't distinguish a good difference between it and the new ultimate 700ml.

dead man walking...............................

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had one in my hand a week ago. I thought they were an either or powder gun like the Savage. Barrel clearly says black powder or substitutes only. I have 2 stainless old model 700s that might get converted. Otherwise I will stick with the 54 flinter.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
people are shooting smokeless in lots of guns that are not designed for it. i watched a guy sight in(from a distance)a cva wolf with smokeless powder back before muzzleloader season. he said he'd been shooting smokeless for 3 years now.i also know a few guys that are shooting smokeless in regular encore ml barrels. with blackhorn shooting as clean as it does i really don't see the need to shoot smokeless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder where these brave souls get their load data?

My first impulse is to say from their "nether regions", but that would be rude, I suppose.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/11/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One item I noticed while perusing the Remington site is that the new ML is a firearm, not a ML. I suppose the BATF didn't care for the setup, much like they put the skids on the original Savage.

I wonder if they'll ever catch up with the custom makers of similar designs?

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here in Michigan we have shotgun-only zones in populated areas. Muzzleloaders are included in the shotgun zones, but not the smokeless Savage and I suspect the new Remington 200 grain models. Bullet speeds for those fall into Centerfire Firearms category and are restricted to rifle zones-only.

If Michigan's Department of Natural Resources catches smokeless in a shotgun zone, the fine is huge and loss of hunting priviledges for three years usually are added-on.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 02/11/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Michigan doesn't regulate which muzzleloader you can use, just the powder you load it with. No mention of ballistics in the regs. The Savage ML and the Remington Ultimate are legal as long as they're loaded with BP or a sub. During firearms deer season in the two northern zones, muzzleloaders are allowed with no mention of powder type.
As far as I know, Michigan doesn't have a "stupidity law" to regulate people loading smokeless in BP/sub only guns....or ice fishing on a detached slab of ice with an offshore wind.

From the 2014 Michigan Hunting and Trapping Digest

During the December Muzzleloading Seasons.
"Muzzleloading deer hunters can carry afield and use only a .. muzzleloading rifle, a muzzleloading shotgun, or a black powder handgun loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute."

Firearm Deer Seasons - Limited Firearm Deer Zone.(old shotgun zone)
"• A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
• A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
• A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external high-compression power source, or a muzzle-loading rifle."

Firearm Deer Seasons - North of Limited Firearm Deer Zone
"Deer may be taken with handguns, rifles, crossbows, bows and arrows, shotguns,and muzzleloading firearms, including black powder handguns."

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
One item I noticed while perusing the Remington site is that the new ML is a firearm, not a ML. I suppose the BATF didn't care for the setup, much like they put the skids on the original Savage.

The reason is you can return the original Savage ML, and apparently the new Remington, back to a cartridge rifle with the installation of the correct barrel. (Think T/C Encore) If a custom maker uses a cartridge rifle action to build their gun, then it is subject to BATF rules and requires a Form 4473 to transfer.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Poster Bodkins lives in VA.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Yep, I got that. I was responding to your assertion that Savage and Remington MLs are restricted in southern MI. They're not, unless you load them with smokeless. You can however, use smokeless in the northern zones during the general firearms season, but not the December muzzleloading season.

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sticks and stones might break my bones...and so might 200 gr of blackpowder! crazy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Yep, I got that. I was responding to your assertion that Savage and Remington MLs are restricted in southern MI. They're not, unless you load them with smokeless. You can however, use smokeless in the northern zones during the general firearms season, but not the December muzzleloading season.

I never gave that assertion. That's why I wrote 'smokeless' next to the word Savage. Referring to the powder in the gun.

You should consider addressing the correct poster, when replying to poster comments here.

I'm done with this. Not going to get an argument on this subject. It's not anything that needs more of my explanation.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 02/11/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wasn't intending to argue T7. As far as addressing the right poster, I use the quick reply and don't pay attention to the Re:. Since I posted right after yours, I figured you'd get it.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by Pappy348

The reason is you can return the original Savage ML, and apparently the new Remington, back to a cartridge rifle with the installation of the correct barrel. (Think T/C Encore) If a custom maker uses a cartridge rifle action to build their gun, then it is subject to BATF rules and requires a Form 4473 to transfer.

I've read about the Savage redesign. I'm a bit curious as to whether Remington determined that it would end up classified as a firearm or if the Feds heard about it, decided to investigate, and then declared it so.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/12/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought some of you might be up on the latest technology and may be able to share your experience and knowledge. But looks like a bunch of old skool side lock hunters that think it should still be illegal to have a scope on a BP. Thanks for stating the obvious. I'm just going to order a new remington and use a string to fire the first 10 shots. And keep my fingers crossed wink

Everybody is sharing their knowledge with you. If it aint made for smokeless, dont do it!

Thats the stated obvious.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe he's jumped ship on this. Probably went someplace where they'll tell him what he wants to hear.

kaboom.com/ forums?

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/12/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
or maybe the smokeless thing didn't work out in his gun

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.