Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just curious if anyone has shot smokeless in the new remington 700 ultimate.? I feel like remington built this for smokeless but scared to advertise it as a smokeless gun for liability reasons. The guy here in Va that builds custom smokless muzzleloaders uses the same ignition setup as the new ultimate, and remington says it's good for 200 grains of BP, so should hold a small smokeless charge? ??

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel like you may be about to start a new career in pencil sales.

If they're worried about liability, you should be worried about your ass.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they are not rated for smokeless! BP substitutes only!

The beatings will continue until morale improves
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What is it with people wanting to make pipe bombs out of guns lately?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bodkin84
Just curious if anyone has shot smokeless in the new remington 700 ultimate.? I feel like remington built this for smokeless but scared to advertise it as a smokeless gun for liability reasons. The guy here in Va that builds custom smokless muzzleloaders uses the same ignition setup as the new ultimate, and remington says it's good for 200 grains of BP, so should hold a small smokeless charge? ??

I've read this over a few times and have thought about it quite a bit.

I keep coming back to the same answer.

I like me more than to try that. YMMV.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
What is it with people wanting to make pipe bombs out of guns lately?

I think it's partly a desire to save money, mixed in with a desire to be edgy and "get away with something".

There's also a feeling by a lot of folks that the limits companies place on their products are the due to liability concerns, not technical realities. It's the same mentality that regards maximum loads in manuals as starting points. Of course, when physics rears its ugly head, and removes a few body parts, these folks are the first ones to lawyer-up and sue somebody.

Or it could just be dumbshititis.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Lol, so none of you guys ever shot or had a savage ml10 smokeless bp???
The benefits of using smokeless in a BP is obvious.... when you are going to deer camp for weeks at a time and using pyrodex your bore gets nasty and rusty, fouled rifling. Using smokeless eliminated all of that and keeps the boreclean. I know lots of guys sshooting smokeless in Thompson center encores and never had a issue. I have a savage 10ml and can't distinguish a good difference between it and the new ultimate 700ml.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So care for it and clean it? Being in camp is no excuse to be lazy.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have had 4 different Savage MLs, currently have 2. An original 10ML module gun and an MLII. I use smokeless in them because they were designed to do so. I know the benefits and limitations. Yes many people shoot smokeless in Encores, usually in custom barrels made from .45-70 cartridge barrels modified to use Savage MLII breech plugs. If you know "lots of guys shooting smokeless" in factory .50 cal Encores, chances are that soon one will be nick named "Stumpy". If you can't distinguish the difference in the breech design between the Savage ML and the new Remington, you haven't looked too hard.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The guy here in Va that builds custom smokless muzzleloaders uses the same ignition setup as the new ultimate, and remington says it's good for 200 grains of BP, so should hold a small smokeless charge? ??

What guy? How about his first name? What's his business name and website?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish the guys on here that want to blow themselves up would just do it and stop asking for permission.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
You guys are great, all this good information is exactly what I was looking for.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
deathrowmuzzleloadersyahoo.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people know more than the engineers that designed the stuff. Wish I was that smart.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You guys are great, all this good information is exactly what I was looking for.

What information are you looking for? That we're idiots? Why don't you go to Dougs Message Boards smokeless forum and post the same question. Those guys know more about smokeless front stuffers than anyone. They'll collectively tell you the same thing they've told others that have posed the same question. NO.

This is the muzzleloader you're referring to: http://www.ashlandguninnovations.com/#!muzzleloaders/c60z
A custom, hand fitted $3000 rifle. He works up one load for you and provides pre-measured charges with it. Kinda funny, here's something on his FAQ page.

Q- Can i try other smokeless powders in my muzzleloaders

Absolutely NOT. Experimenting with anything aside from the recommended powder and charge risks damaging or destroying your muzzleloader and risk of injury or death.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, now I understand! It must be okay because he saw it on the INTERNET!

Lots of smart people there!

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I thought some of you might be up on the latest technology and may be able to share your experience and knowledge. But looks like a bunch of old skool side lock hunters that think it should still be illegal to have a scope on a BP. Thanks for stating the obvious. I'm just going to order a new remington and use a string to fire the first 10 shots. And keep my fingers crossed wink

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
......... you might be up on the latest (insert)dangerous technology

......And keep my fingers crossed wink

I just hope you keep all of your fingers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought some of you might be up on the latest technology and may be able to share your experience and knowledge. But looks like a bunch of old skool side lock hunters that think it should still be illegal to have a scope on a BP. Thanks for stating the obvious. I'm just going to order a new remington and use a string to fire the first 10 shots. And keep my fingers crossed wink

Not me at all. A year ago I dropped a grand on a new Knight and scope. I also have a couple of sidelocks. I believe in using what you want, within the law.

What you are proposing, using smokeless in a gun not designed for it, is foolhardy and reckless and if carried through, will likely get you hurt. You asked about it and didn't like the answers. You are on your own.

Cross those fingers while you've got 'em.

By the way, getting away with ten shots, or twenty, doesn't prove anything. Lots of old black powder Winchesters have been destroyed by the use of smokeless powder. They didn't blow up right away, but eventually the strain wore away at them until they finally blew. If you've ever seen the havoc that escaping high-pressure gas can cause, you'd rethink your plan.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/08/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been using a Savage SML for years. They were designed for smokeless. Hint.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.