Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
Guns are the easiest things to replace. Get rid of everything until you are debt free. Then as funds allow, buy a handful of good guns to replace them. It'll be the best thing you ever did.

This is so true and great advice. I did a similar thing a few years ago. Sold all but the few guns with history and sentimental value. Paid down debt and got our financial house in order. Then, over time, bought/built a smaller battery of nicer hunting rifles than I had before.

Zero regrets. Financial peace of mind far out ways a few possessions.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good luck on the plan! I hope it works out.

Luckily the wife and I never bought anything we hadn't saved up for.

Any debt would probably give me an ulcer.

Maybe put em up here, some folks would likely like a shot at "helping you out"

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Selling the herd is not the answer, managing your debt and eliminating other bad habits on how you spend your income is. Best of luck at any rate. Magnum Man

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Getting to be debt free was one of the best things I ever did. Do what you have to do to get there and you will never regret it.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
agree with rosco1..

Molon Labe
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
agree with rosco1..
On a pure numbers basis, probably true. Taking action on his goals and getting some quick progress can have a large psychological effect.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Selling the herd is not the answer, managing your debt and eliminating other bad habits on how you spend your income is. Best of luck at any rate. Magnum Man

Saleing the herd sometimes may be a good answer. For instance if you've reached a point in your rifle loonyism that you've acquired a bit of a finer taste in rifles saleing to get out of debt is a good way to get rid of what you've eventually learned doesn't fit your finer taste in rifles.

Also if you are married or otherwise when the dept is paid you have an excuse to purchase some finer firearms as a reward and the Misses will likely agree because of the former sacrifice that has been made. laugh

In the end you end up with some really fine rifles that exceed your previous herd. laugh

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/06/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Shodd

Saleing the herd sometimes may be a good answer. For instance if you've reached a point in your rifle loonyism that you've acquired a bit of a finer taste in rifles saleing to get out of debt is a good way to get rid of what you've eventually learned doesn't fit your finer taste in rifles.

Also if you are married or otherwise when the dept is paid you have an excuse to purchase some finer firearms as a reward and the Misses will likely agree because of the former sacrifice that has been made. laugh

In the end you end up with some really fine rifles that exceed your previous herd. laugh

Shod

Exactly, when it's all said and done, the consumer debt is paid off and I have liquid assets equal to/greater than the mortgage(which will be accelerated at that point)...I'll still have a PRISTINE GEW.98(DWM 1917) action that is already drilled and tapped bolt forged and has a 2 pos M70 safety. Think I can come up with a pretty fair custom with that, paid with CASH of course.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I was very fortunate to marry a very smart, money conscious woman. If not for her I would have lived a life in constant debt. Thanks to her I learned that you don't know need everything you want all the time and that the buy once cry once mentality can save you much money in the end. At this point I have consolidated my big game rifles to one. A Forbes 308, while not a high end custom it is a gun that would have been a dream a few years ago and one that I have even more proud in because I know that buying it took nothing away from my family.

Debt free is truly worth and in the end will give you even more options in future purchases.
Nick

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think ou have an excellent plan. I too am thinking of a similar move but for a different reason. As I reach retirement and look at traveling with my wife it doesn't make much sense to have all the guns I have sitting back home to worry about. Keep a couple of my favorite shotguns , a decent rifle a rimfire rifle and pistol and a pistol for the nightstand and dump the rest.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Shodd
I don't know what dept is. I've always saved and paid cash for anything I've got. In 4 months I'll be paying cash for another place I'll be buying. I figure I've saved to the tune of $180,000 dollars in interest and that buys a lot of guns and pays for a lot of hunts. I don't really make that much money so the $180,000 dollars I didn't give to creditors goes a long ways.

Shod

That $180,000 could likely be $1,000,000 if one invested prudently. Pay 5% on a loan and earn +20% with the cash.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

cry "The Herd", That was my bad habit. About 5 or 6 years ago I decided to end it. I sold off some where in the range of 200-225 fire arms. Guns that just sat in the safes. I did not even remember buying some of them. Down to about 15 now, and if pushed I could keep maybe 6. grin

Setting a goal is good, debt free is really good. Not from selling the herd, but it helped.

Ed
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Must have picked the right ones to sell, had interest in 3 out of 4 already and I haven't even listed them yet(just mentioned what I was thinking to a couple of buddies, evidently they mentioned it too). Probably list the 452 here in the classifieds GOOD .22 bolts are a hard sell around here.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Gotta start somewhere right?
2 CZ-452 for sale.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those CZ 452's are very nice guns.

Gerry.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
Guns are about the only thing that haven't lost value in the past 10 years. Except for azzholes investing in $2,000 AR's.

You can only shoot one at a time and there's so much redundant schit it won't matter anyway.

+1 I find myself agreeing with you more all the time. Great minds? Or just scary? No matter. "redundant schit" Amen!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scary...

I've adopted a one bolt face policy.

7RM

And a 270 Win w/130 NPT's tucked away as a loaner. Or when I get really bored and ditch the 260 & 7RM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for debt free, been there for 5 years, its a great feeling. I've never carried a credit card debt. We owe nothing, credit cards, house or vehicles. Let your money work for you instead of you working for it.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No question, there is great wisdom here. I too am purging. Less in guns- more into life, and hunting.

Purge the rifles, and treat yourself to a couple hunts, and the freedom of putting more cash in your pocket and less in "theirs"

MK
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Sold the Uplander today locally for $350...going right down on the Visa bill.

Mauser Rescue Society

jdi do píči
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.