Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I put a scope on the .22 and it will shoot a ragged hole at 17 yards. I can't shoot farther here at home.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got mine a week ago, shoots 1 ragged hole at 50, just under an inch at 100 with a fixed 4. I put a 3x9 on it now so I hope my 100 yard stuff tightens up

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
.22LR or .22WMR?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had mine out for a pretty good break in session the other day and I'm a far cry from what some of you guys are reporting. The wind was brisk but still the results are less than I was hoping for.
As you can see these targets weren't exactly shot with plinking ammo, and every new batch had 5 foulers go down first...Cheaper ammo did worse.
The stock does contact the barrel on the left side so I'll take that down a bit and hope for improvements...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by Certifiable; 02/05/15.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lockhart
.22LR or .22WMR?

Mine is a 22 Mag, should have said that

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Certifiable- 14 out of 20 groups went 1/2", or an I missing something? For the $ it looks fine to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only see 5 that look 1/2", maybe 7. But who's counting for the price of the gun. Generally speaking, the right-hand side of the target looks tighter than the left. Assuming you shot left-to-right, maybe a little more time is needed with each ammo? Did you shoot only 25 of each and move on to the next?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Certifiable at what distance did you shoot that target?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
The rail screws were not at all tight on the three rifles I've checked. I doubt they were loose enough to affect accuracy.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, all look about .5" if those are 1" squares and the groups are measured center to center. Not far off of that anyway.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Davet I wish that was the case but your giving my groups too much credit.. Those red circles are 11/16" on the nose, so while some of the groups might nudge half an inch most do not. It was the overall inconsistency with the better ammo that I was a little dissapointed in..

Yes the targets were shot left right..I'm not being too drastic at this point, It was the maiden voyage and things may settle in a bit. I had a pretty good rest going and wasn't rushing my shots at all..

I wanted to shoot some "real world groups" and see what was what. As I mentioned, the cheaper bulk ammo didn't fair as well.

Kend, target distance was 50 yards with a decent breeze. I did snug down the rail before mounting scope and all fastners were checked. As I mentioned the stock is up tight against the barrel at the end of the forearm and opening that up might help things a bit..

Id be very interested to see the results other folks are getting with their predators and if they've tweaked them at all..

She's gone shootin..
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just for kicks to add, the aguila rifle match and green tag shoot terrible in everything else I own but in the predator seem to be preferred..

She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, I had the scale wrong. crazy

Good luck with it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Was this your first time out with the rifle or did you perform a barrel break in beforehand?

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I floated the barrel today and shot it again. This is only at 17 yards because it's as far as I can shoot at home. The lone shot was my target as the scope isn't dialed in yet. I was shooting bulk Blazer ammo.
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Was this your first time out with the rifle or did you perform a barrel break in beforehand?

Yes it was first time out and no barrel break-in per se.. Those groups were shot after approx 100 rounds tho if that's what you meant..?

Kend, I've had some good luck with bulk blazers in the past but did not try them this time. When you get out a little farther Id definetly like to see how yours shoots.

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys are all arseholes and a bad influence mad I drove to the city today in 65 MPH winds (I took my wife's car and she is gonna be pissed when she sees her windshield eek as it wasn't blowing sand ...just rocks!) Went to 2 gun stores and bought the only Ruger American 22WMR I could find. 22" tube at $269. Hope you are all happy with yourselves I know I am grin I have been wanting a 22WMR rifle since I sold my old Marlin 783(?) back in the late 80's

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since the wife is goona wip your azz here is a tip. The only ammo you need to try is the Hornady 30 grn, I tried em all in my std and my Predator 22 Mag, these are by far the best.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you guys tweak the trigger or your Predators or shoot as issued?

Both my LR and Magnum seem decent, but I haven't mounted scopes yet and am trying to decide whether to pull the blade from the beginning.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spun mine as low as it would go and Im gunnin it as is

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Eh, I won't lie to you.. I was really tempted to add a 22mag onto the order myself. I've never owned that caliber and I'm still not sure I made the right choice by passing on it.

Passports seems to shoot excellent, would like to hear how yours does as well when it's up and running..

I backed my adjustment screw out a bit and it feels fine to me anyway. The blade doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Certifiable; 02/07/15.

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got an email last night where they got more WMRs in, just in case you feel the need to add one!

I have a bunch of Magnums, but this one really caught my eye. I have high hopes for both of them. I've had several 77/22s in both LR and WMR in various configurations and a 77/17 HMR Varmint and none of them impressed me in the accuracy department. All were either traded off or sold because I never could get them to shoot as well as my CZs, Remington's, Marlins or even a couple of 10/22s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ruger 77/22 Mag was $689 at the place I got the American for $269. I wanted the 18" threaded barrel but not available and I have a gun building friend that can fix this one wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Eh, I won't lie to you.. I was really tempted to add a 22mag onto the order myself. I've never owned that caliber and I'm still not sure I made the right choice by passing on it.

Passports seems to shoot excellent, would like to hear how yours does as well when it's up and running..

I backed my adjustment screw out a bit and it feels fine to me anyway. The blade doesn't bother me.

22 WMR is legal for turkeys...22 LR isn't

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I backed mine out 1.5 turns and it could use a bit more. I think Virgil said he took two turns.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by Certifiable

22 WMR is legal for turkeys...22 LR isn't

No turkeys on the menu for this rifle, tho They're thick in these parts wink

She's gone shootin..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grin

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So what's the price on the predator rimfire and where do you get them at?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
PM shortactionsmoker. My 22lr Predator is shooting about like the others, 4 feet of snow in the last couple weeks so I've only shot it a few times. Standard velocity CCI best so far.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As Kend mentioned;

I backed the trigger adjusting screw out two full turns on my Predator.
It came out at 2.5 lbs. with No creep.

Feels/shoots great!

Virgil B.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kevinJ
So what's the price on the predator rimfire and where do you get them at?

SportsSouth is the distributor.
Ruger #8334

Here is an example: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=466580797

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I just got back from the range with mine in .22 and I don't have any groups to brag on. First group at 50yds looked promising at about .75 and it went to hell from there. Exactly the same problem with that Weatherby so hopefully I'm just having a bad day. The wind was blowing and I was trying to shoot between gusts. A fine crosshair would sure help.

Last edited by kend; 02/08/15.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
shortactionsmoker and his Whittaker Guns, a banner advertiser here when I have adblock turned off, are great to deal with.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These Predators suck, here is a 100 yard group from my 22 Mag..... Thing is all over, I cant control it. Horizontal string, Im SURE it not me... smile

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
nice--what ammo?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by unahunt
nice--what ammo?

30 grn Hornadys

Last edited by passport; 02/15/15.

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I shot the .22 mag yesterday and it is extremely accurate. Ragged hole at 50yds.

L
L
Took out my .22LR/SWFA for a 2nd test run yesterday. Just about 50 yards (46 steps) Shot 9 groups with 3 different ammo's, CCI mini mag, M22 and Bulk Blazer. Found out that moving my front bag as far back as possible (almost covering the whole mag) helped my groups immensely.* The Mini Mags led me to believe that they would rather not be sent through the air via my particular predator. The M22 had better result's with the average group size being around 1.5" with the best group being 3/4". Blazer Bulk was the premier ammo of the day, ave groups were about an inch the best group being a ragged hole about 1/2". I had a light breeze coming from behind me, left to right which could have effected some of my groups.

*I'm a pretty new shooter and sure that some user error came into play. Nonetheless Im happy with the purchase.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jimone
shortactionsmoker and his Whittaker Guns, a banner advertiser here when I have adblock turned off, are great to deal with.

SAS and Whittaker Guns is better then great to deal with. I have made them my go to for gun shopping.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by jimone

SAS and Whittaker Guns is better then great to deal with. I have made them my go to for gun shopping.

Same here

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Can't wait for the Montana 6.5 Creedmoor!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by passport
These Predators suck, here is a 100 yard group from my 22 Mag..... Thing is all over, I cant control it. Horizontal string, Im SURE it not me... smile

[Linked Image]

Finally got out long enough to wade through the mud and sight my plain jane Ruger American 22 WMR in. Mine has the 22" barrel with sights. I had a Leupold 6x42 with a heavy duplex available so that is what I used. I used a set of Talley lightweight mounts. As I have a quite a bit of Winchester 45 gr Dynapoint 22 WMR I took it to the range. At 25 yd sight in range it made one ragged hole so I had hopes it might shoot. At 50 yds I was getting about 1" groups and the wind came up so I quit. I have several other types/brands of 22 WMR but this is what was available when I could find it lately and what I had the most of in one lot number.

So I will clean it and try again later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a standard 22 mag before the Predator I have now, neither gun will shoot anything but Hornady ammo worth a dam. Dont let it bother you, I bet it will bug hole at 50 and rip one hole at 100 with Hornady ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys are a bad influence. I ordered 2 Predators yesterday. I am going to look for some other ammo.

L
L
I thought I should dangle some pixels regarding my last 50 yard outing with my predator. Ignore the left schitty, side of the paper as that had CCI mini mags puked at it (my predator hates Mini Mags). Having had good luck with CCI Standard Velocity in the past it was my first choice for this day of shooing.*

I started with the bottom right target and worked my way up then left and back down. When I reached the top dot and saw how crappy my groups had become I adjusted where my font bag was resting and saw an immense improvement. See? Learning...

Needless to say I was very happy with the groups I was getting. Not too shabby for a $275 gun IMO

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

*These groups were also shot during a pretty decent crosswind, I'd guess between 6-10 mph

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by eh76
You guys are all arseholes and a bad influence mad I drove to the city today in 65 MPH winds (I took my wife's car and she is gonna be pissed when she sees her windshield eek as it wasn't blowing sand ...just rocks!) Went to 2 gun stores and bought the only Ruger American 22WMR I could find. 22" tube at $269. Hope you are all happy with yourselves I know I am grin I have been wanting a 22WMR rifle since I sold my old Marlin 783(?) back in the late 80's

Excellent... cool

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.