Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Brad
Yeah, it's sort of an embarrassment of riches when it came to powders for this particular rifle... I didn't put up pics with Big Game... that worked great as well.

And the 308's... well, you could load them with rocks over dirt and they'll still shoot!

How much were the BG loads charges? Speeds? Thx.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
grin

Sammer, knowing your love for the 270 and the fact you have a 243 I'd say 270. That's about as perfect a Montana (the state!) pairing I can think of. Granted, I prefer the 84M action slightly over the 84L, but it's a gnat straining thing.

Get the 270, cut the barrel to 22" or 23" and put up some great photos!

Recently bought a 270 but have yet to shoot it (I have only seen it once...). Your view on the need for a barrel chop please.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Yeah, it's sort of an embarrassment of riches when it came to powders for this particular rifle... I didn't put up pics with Big Game... that worked great as well.

And the 308's... well, you could load them with rocks over dirt and they'll still shoot!

How much were the BG loads charges? Speeds? Thx.

TP, I mis-spoke. Meant to say "Hunter" rather than Big Game.

49.0 Hunter with the 150 NBT gave 2,745 fps., and gave the highest velocity with that bullet by a wide margin.

I think it's generally safe to run the 150 at 2,660 - 2,700 max with Varget, H4350 or RL17.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

Recently bought a 270 but have yet to shoot it (I have only seen it once...). Your view on the need for a barrel chop please.

Ed, for me it's an aesthetic thing... the barrel is just too darn long to my eyes in relation to the forearm length. It's "snouty!"

My rule of thumb is the barrel should be 2" to no more than 3" longer out front of the forearm than the actual length of the forearm itself.

So in other words, if the forearm is 9.5" long, I don't want there to be more than 12.5" of barrel out in front of it, and 11.5" is nicer to my eyes.

Subjective thing and obviously gnat straining, but there it is.

Would also add, since it's a no.1 contour, cutting the 84L's barrel shorter (stiffer) with a nice step crown is not anything that can hurt, and likely can help.

If I get another 84L MT its barrel will get cut to 22 or 22.5".

Here's a 30-06 84L MT with 23" barrel... as you can see, it's still pretty long in relation to the forearm:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

270 w/ 23" barrel:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
FWIW.......(and a bit of a derail here) The local Gander Mountain in Tonawanda NY had a BARELY used 30-06 Montana with Leupold bases for $899 less 10% the other day. $810 sounds pretty good and IIRC they'll ship their guns to another GM for zip.

The gun did not look like it had been shot..........

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Brad, great backdrops to those last two pics, very pretty country.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
FWIW.......(and a bit of a derail here) The local Gander Mountain in Tonawanda NY had a BARELY used 30-06 Montana with Leupold bases for $899 less 10% the other day. $810 sounds pretty good and IIRC they'll ship their guns to another GM for zip.

84L or 8400 30-06 Montana?

The 8400 is not a rifle I favor at all...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

TP, I mis-spoke. Meant to say "Hunter" rather than Big Game.

49.0 Hunter with the 150 NBT gave 2,745 fps., and gave the highest velocity with that bullet by a wide margin.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was kind of wondering about that since the Nosler manual switches from BG to Hunter when you go from the 140 to the 150. BG gets the best velocity with 140's in mine by far, right at 2,900 with no apparent pressure issues. That's gotta be pushing it though. I don't shoot that load because Varget although slower is more accurate.

Gonna try the 150 Scenars with Hunter and see what happens.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Power, all 16 Montana's I've had would shoot something sub moa. A couple of them shot darn near everything sub moa.

I bedded all mine but I have never "resorted" to a pressure point. All barrels were free floated, but all shanks/chambers were bedded.

Montana's can be finicky, no doubt. But if you're flexible and allow the rifle to tell you what it likes, rather than try to force it to like something you want, you'll find something very accurate.

This 7-08 for example will not group a Partition... but loves a boattail. And it definitely prefers bullets heavier than 145 grains, even though I have more than a few tiny groups with the 140 NBT. It's far more consistent with the 150 NBT!

I got one in December and shot one load (Lake Schitty brass, CCI 200, 44.5gr's of RL 15 and the 155gr. Scenar.) it went 1 1/2 MOA right out of the box.

Took it home and did the same schit I've done to just about every other factory rifle. Check mag box, screw lengths, bed and float, blah, blah, fuggin'-blah.

Same load did this:

[Linked Image]

It's no secret that light guns are tougher to shoot and that is what I attribute all the Kimber woes to. I could be wrong, but that is what I think contributes to a whole bunch of people's problems.

The [bleep]'s are LIGHT. And they are a fantastic bargain IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

It's no secret that light guns are tougher to shoot and that is what I attribute all the Kimber woes to. I could be wrong, but that is what I think contributes to a whole bunch of people's problems.

The [bleep]'s are LIGHT. And they are a fantastic bargain IMO.

Travis

All of the above, including "tweaks" (what factory rifle doesn't need tweaking?)!

Have said it for a long time, a LOT of the supposed Kimber "inaccuracy" is the nut behind the butt.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are these groups you guys are showing with the Montana's at 100 yards?

How do they do when you wring them out at 400-600 yards?

Thanks -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Greg, mine are all 100 yards.

Shooting out to 500 yards is often, though not always, moa with the better loads. Some of mine have been consistent out to that range, others haven't maintained moa at longer range (past 300 yards).

It depends...

Will say too, I often throw a shout out of a Kimber group. These rifles are darn light and require VERY consistent bench technique... something I don't always posses!

A Kimber MT in 308 at the bench is around 5lbs 13 oz's... just like a supertanker is more stable on a heavy sea than a dinghy, so a heavier rifle is less prone to human vagaries.... and yeah, the Montana is a dinghy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GregW
Are these groups you guys are showing with the Montana's at 100 yards?

How do they do when you wring them out at 400-600 yards?

Thanks -

Those are the 1, but it has been grouping ridiculously well @ the 2 and 3 as well.

I've been shooting it at least once a week (on steel) since I got it up and running and I shoot it to the 500 regularly. It do well.

I don't have any pics because there has been snow on the ground and my vagina does not like to post-hole more than once per range session.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I want to shoot clay pigeons @ 600yds, my MT isn't what I would grab. But if I want to hit milk jugs from the 1-500 with the lightest rifle, and least complicated fashion, I can't see finding anything better than the MT.

The biggest drawback to them is I haven't figured out how to fit my dong into the chamber. Yet...

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
... The biggest drawback to them is I haven't figured out how to fit my dong into the chamber. Yet... Dave

That excessive headspace can be a bitch.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

The biggest drawback to them is I haven't figured out how to fit my dong into the chamber. Yet...

Dave

Like putting a .22LR into a 25-06 chamber, huh?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

84L or 8400 30-06 Montana?

The 8400 is not a rifle I favor at all...

Good question, I didn't know there was a difference. Google answered that for me! If someone is interested a phone call could answer that question. If I get over that way, I'll check myself.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Probably would be a lot easier to reach if they hadn't put the chamber 3" in there. grin

Shod laugh

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, it's a distinction non-Kimber-nerds usually don't make!

However, hold an 8400 30-06 MT in your hands and an 84L 30-06 MT in your hands and it's like holding Rosie O'Donell vs Audrey Hepburn...

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's the elevated discussion that keeps bringing me back to the Campfire... grin

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.