I know he despised liberals like good Americans do grin

Last edited by watch4bear; 02/06/15.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BOWSINGER - " ... Wayne's three wives and all those women of his legendary affairs would, no doubt, get quite a kick out of some idiot claim that he was a homosexual."

That idiotic claim was obviously made by a few numbskulls who haven't any real knowledge of Hollywood and the movie business. The world is full of little, jealous people who make up absurd lies in order to denigrate and belittle those whom they hate.

Wayne was a conservative and in Hollywood, that engendered a lot of enmity from the liberal left crowd of which Hollywood is mainly comprised. It is quite understandable to me the venom that was often thrown his way. He just shrugged it off.

Years ago for seven or eight months I dated the daughter of a very well known actress who had worked three times with John Wayne in his movies. I and my girlfriend had dinner, etc., a number of times at her home. Of course, a lot of the conversations had to do with "the Biz." The actress idolized Wayne and made it quite clear that he "enjoyed women."

The idea that Wayne was "homosexual" is not only ludicrous but laughable.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I saw some folks making comments about him on FB.

2 things

The claimed he was a homosexual

and

Claimed he was a Draft Dodger by getting 3 exceptions.

Any credibility?

And no, this is not a stir pf the pot, but a serous question. I am a huge fan of the Duke, and this information (or in the case of the exceptions, the interpretation of) seems odd.

John Wayne was 34 at the time of Pearl Harbor with a wife and four kids and a bum shoulder.
He still tried to enlist.

Many of his popular contemporaries (Jimmy Stewart, Ted Williams, etc.), as well as, the general population - in his circumstance -, jumped through some small hoops to enlist and serve.

JW went to Mexico to lay low (bang the locals).
His director/career mentor at the time, John Ford, strongly encouraged him to return at the time for the sake of his career.

He did not "try" very hard to enlist.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thats funny, you claiming to know about JW, I figured you for a Truman Capote fan grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
There is a story that Wayne and Ward Bond while drinking their way on broad ship to Ireland had a manhood measuring contest. Don't know who won.

Must have been on the way to film "The Quiet Man", one of my favorite movies and one of the only three movies that I actually own on DVD. I was in Ireland about 10 years ago and stumbled upon the town of Cong which was used as the set for the movie. My girlfriend and I spent the day walking around the town seeing the sights from the movie. We tracked down the original cottage from the movie which is sadly in ruins now, it's in a farmer's sheep pasture about 10 miles outside of Cong.

Here's a picture I took of his grave in Newport Beach, CA, about a year ago when I was out there on a trip:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Little off topic, but it's already been mentioned, Gunsmoke. My dad loved the program. Since he was born in 1902 in arizona, he lived in the tail end of the old west, and I think Miss Kitty grew up/lived at one time around prescott. He loved the opening sequence of gunsmoke, the confrontation in the street. I remember him saying can you think of anything so silly as intentionally exposing yourself to gunfire. Much better a shotgun with double ought buck from ambush.
Oh well.
I of course never knew Wayne, but I have or have had clients that did. From some of the stories i have been told being gay is not even close. He did have an appreciation for the senoritas.
there are some great stories about wayne and his cattle business here in arizona, that i hesitate to put on here.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 02/07/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Miss Kitty, (Amanda Blake) did marry an Austin Texas city councilman, Mark Spaeth, back in the late 70's early 80's who did die of HIV related disease.

Thanks Leanwolf! I will never forget sitting in my grandmaw's lap in the early 60's watching Matt Dillion on her TV. She adored that program! Thanks!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That liberals are trying to smear his name comes as no surprise to me.

I don't give them an ounce of credibility, but rather see it as another plan to desecrate the America that we grew up with.

The time for a reckoning is getting closer.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Miss Kitty, (Amanda Blake) did marry an Austin Texas city councilman, Mark Spaeth, back in the late 70's early 80's who did die of HIV related disease.

Thanks Leanwolf! I will never forget sitting in my grandmaw's lap in the early 60's watching Matt Dillion on her TV. She adored that program! Thanks!

for some reason I think amanda lived around mayer arizona, which is just south of prescott. the following link is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanda_Blake

there are some great stories about wayne that i will relay to you maybe in person one of these days at quemato, or the like.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That liberals are trying to smear his name comes as no surprise to me.

I don't give them an ounce of credibility, but rather see it as another plan to desecrate the America that we grew up with.

The time for a reckoning is getting closer.
Yes it is.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was fortunate enough to know 3 of the Gunsmoke cast, and work with two.

Knew John Wayne's youngest son, Ethan, and worked with him as well. You'd be amazed at how organized and structured John Wayne's estate is, and how well it is managed, even today.

Ethan now runs things.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Wayne and Ben Johnson would visit my Mom's cousins horse ranch in Buckeye. That side of my family farmed cotton and hay but also had a large horse operation.

One of the big sorrels Wayne rode came out of my cousin's stock, we had a filly from the same stock, had some race horse lines in her and was definitely the fastest horse I ever road.

Johnson was also friends of a family I grew up and hunted/fished with and I camped with him up at Big Lake when I was in HS. He was a real horseman and down to earth regular guy. Retired and passed away right here in Mesa.

Kent

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I was fortunate enough to know 3 of the Gunsmoke cast, and work with two.

Knew John Wayne's youngest son, Ethan, and worked with him as well. You'd be amazed at how organized and structured John Wayne's estate is, and how well it is managed, even today.

Ethan now runs things.

I remember back in the early 80's the shop sent me to a Tom Kielman auction that had a lot of Wayne memoribilia up for bid. Before the auction started, I believe it was Ethan that called and worked out a deal with owner for a special purchase for the estate.

It was nice that the owner didn't want to see the stuff broken up. And worked withthe family to get it back to them.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by krp
Wayne and Ben Johnson would visit my Mom's cousins horse ranch in Buckeye. That side of my family farmed cotton and hay but also had a large horse operation.

One of the big sorrels Wayne rode came out of my cousin's stock, we had a filly from the same stock, had some race horse lines in her and was definitely the fastest horse I ever road.

Johnson was also friends of a family I grew up and hunted/fished with and I camped with him up at Big Lake when I was in HS. He was a real horseman and down to earth regular guy. Retired and passed away right here in Mesa.

Kent

Ben was a real cowboy. And a first class guy.

Not many actors can wear that badge. Especially today.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My buddy and I were 15 or 16, when the men were sitting around BSing and passing the whiskey, he'd offer us a sip with a grin, we'd respectfully decline and he'd laugh.

Kent

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my old man, a b17 bombadier during ww2, hated john wayne and called him a draft dodger. i never really knew the reason. not saying he was or wasn't, but i know my dad wasn't the only ww2 vet who felt the same. i personally like old jw and nobody except for maybe clint did westerns like he did.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
many evenings long gone I shared a sip with Ben Johnson and Jack Elam while losing at poker to one or the other of them.
never met The Duke but knew some of his close friends and only bad thing I ever heard about him was he wouldn't take care of his body.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
many evenings long gone I shared a sip with Ben Johnson and Jack Elam while losing at poker to one or the other of them.
never met The Duke but knew some of his close friends and only bad thing I ever heard about him was he wouldn't take care of his body.

He chain smoked, and liked his whiskey! grin

Could throw a helluva party though...

He got rowdy and burned down the clubhouse at Ft. Clark Springs in Brackettville after they wrapped the Alamo movie.

Still stands as a burned out shell there at the fort. He paid for it, btw.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Jack Elam... born in Miami Az and graduated Phoenix union HS, which is now the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.

Lots of Az connections with those guys.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I saw some folks making comments about him on FB.

2 things

The claimed he was a homosexual

and

Claimed he was a Draft Dodger by getting 3 exceptions.

Any credibility?

And no, this is not a stir pf the pot, but a serous question. I am a huge fan of the Duke, and this information (or in the case of the exceptions, the interpretation of) seems odd.

He was married 3 times. You can debate the homosexual angle all day and you can't change that fact.

He was kept out of WWII because his handlers pulled political strings to keep him out. The US Government was OK with this because he continued to make patriotic pictures that were good for America all during the war. Everyone was happy but Mr. Morrison who always regretted his decision to go along with his handlers.
Just what I heard in the past.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10gaugemag, 35sambar, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 14 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 881 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,656
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.