Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I haven't owned a nice shotgun in a long time. They were sold when my kids were born and I've been hunting with some old beaters for the past ten years.
I decided since I will be turning 40 this year and I actually have some money available that I would treat myself to a new upland gun.
I would be using this gun on Pheasants,Woodcock and Grouse.

My local gun shop was very helpful and patient today and let me handle a bunch of really nice guns. My budget is around $1000 give or take and either a 12g or 20g.

Two guns that really stood out for me were the Benelli Montefeltro 20g and the Franchi Instinct L 20g. Both guns are lightweight and shoulder nicely. The Franchi feels a bit nicer in the hand IMO though.

One thing I did notice on shouldering the Montefeltro is that I am literally just staring at the bead (no rib visible when I shoulder and aim) When I shoulder and aim the Franchi a tiny bit of the rib is visible. I am not sure how this would effect my shooting from one gun to the other.

If anyone has an opinion on these two models or other models I should consider please let me know.

Some other guns I handled were
Benelli ultralight 12g
Benelli M2 20g
Franchi Instinct SL 20g
Winchester 101 12g
Franchi Affinity 12g

Last edited by Centurion75; 02/07/15.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This is your Huckleberry, a Browning Citori Uplander in 20 gauge. Light weight and a pleasure to carry and shoot, $999.00 fits perfectly in your safe and budget...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 02/07/15.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Shrapnel, That exact gun in 16ga is actually my "grail" gun.
Yours in 20 gauge is looking pretty sweet though!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Model 12 in a 16ga.

Can be had for a third of your budget. Spend the remainder to clean it up and you will have one of the nicest and well balanced American shotguns ever made.

Last edited by battue; 02/08/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've a 20ga Franchi 28AL that I've taken pheasant hunting a few times. A pleasure to carry all day at 5.5lbs. I think I paid right around $700 new.

Shrapnel's Browning looks like it'd make a damned nice field gun.

Brandon Gleason
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
find a 16 gauge sxs or ou that fits you choked cyl and mod and you will be very happy and the birds very dead.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree on the Model 12 or a Remington Model 31, both fine pump guns but anything Shrapnel has ever posted on the fire makes me want to buy it. He has some great guns. I like his Browning and if that's what your budget is you can't go wrong with Shrapnel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my group bought Beretta 391's back in 2003/2004, like 8 of them off the top of my head. I quit even looking at shotguns after my purchase.

A good 16 guage sxs would probably get my attention though.

We shot Montefeltros at a rental range as well. No real issues with the Benelli, just liked the Beretta better.

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. used this fall.
I absolutely fell in love with this little shooter.
Can`t go wrong with the Benelli.
If it feels right to you, roll with it!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is your Huckleberry, a Browning Citori Uplander in 20 gauge. Light weight and a pleasure to carry and shoot, $999.00 fits perfectly in your safe and budget...

[Linked Image]

I have the exact same Browning Uplander in 20 gauge. Really, Really nice shotgun, weighs about 5 1/2 pounds. Bought it for grouse hunting, carries and shoulders great.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Centurion75
I haven't owned a nice shotgun in a long time. They were sold when my kids were born and I've been hunting with some old beaters for the past ten years.
I decided since I will be turning 40 this year and I actually have some money available that I would treat myself to a new upland gun.
I would be using this gun on Pheasants,Woodcock and Grouse.

My local gun shop was very helpful and patient today and let me handle a bunch of really nice guns. My budget is around $1000 give or take and either a 12g or 20g.

Two guns that really stood out for me were the Benelli Montefeltro 20g and the Franchi Instinct L 20g. Both guns are lightweight and shoulder nicely. The Franchi feels a bit nicer in the hand IMO though.

One thing I did notice on shouldering the Montefeltro is that I am literally just staring at the bead (no rib visible when I shoulder and aim) When I shoulder and aim the Franchi a tiny bit of the rib is visible. I am not sure how this would effect my shooting from one gun to the other.

If anyone has an opinion on these two models or other models I should consider please let me know.

Some other guns I handled were
Benelli ultralight 12g
Benelli M2 20g
Franchi Instinct SL 20g
Winchester 101 12g
Franchi Affinity 12g

Personally, I would go with the Franchi Affinity in 20 gauge. I own one and it is a sweet shooting pop gun. I don't see the need for a 12 gauge when you say "upland". The 20 gauge is lighter and slimmer. The plain-jane Affinity is $699 and $100 more for the fancy camo. Comes with a shim kit if you want to adjust drop and cast. And comes with 3 chokes.

There are only two nits I have with the Affinity: (1) The recoil pad has a dogleg in it, so it is pretty much custom ($56 for pad and insert to change LOP) as they don't sell spacers. (2) There is a detent pin for the magazine cap. Pin lives in a hole in the mag tube ring of the barrel. Pin isn't always peened to hold it captive, so it is easy to lose when removing barrel.

Great trigger. Fast and reliable cycling whether 2 3/4 trap or 3" waterfowl death-ray loads. Mine never misses a beat.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Of those listed, the Benelli M2 is what I would choose.

To me, the nicest upland 20 is an old Ithaca 37 Ultrafeatherlight, with the aluminum receiver.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I like the Monte, the M2 and the Affinity. I would choose 20 ga as well for weight. All three have basically the same action with the return spring under the forearm for the Affinity. The Affinity also doesn't come in a 28" barrel for 20 ga. The Comfort Tech stock on the M2 will help a little with recoil. Might choose Monte if you like wood and blue steel. You can get a slug barrel for the M2. The camo versions of the M2 and Affinity will be the most weather resistant. Child length stocks for the Affinity are less expensive.

If I wanted an O/U, I would get a Beretta or a Browning.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have looked at a couple M37 Ithaca's and a Winchester model 12 recently and although they are really nice guns I am trying to go brand new with my next shotgun. The guns I am currently using were all bought used and a couple are pretty old (My Rem 11 was made in 1913). So I think this next gun will need to be new.

The Affinity feels really nice and is still a possibility for me. Especially with the wood stocked version due next month.

My wife is trying to swing me towards the Benelli Ultralight in 12ga that we saw the other day which is kind of funny since it's considerably more then the Montefeltro!

I handled a couple of Browning 725 (can't remember exact model) very nice but they were a couple grand. I know Browning has less expensive models but I haven't found one locally yet.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm getting a Beretta 686 SP1 20 ga 30" barrels later this summer. I greatly prefer the Beretta to the Browning but it is just personal fit and feel. They are both great guns.

The Affinity is the best value. It's only 6 lbs in 20 ga. I can't see that I need to pay more for an even lighter gun. I like to shoot a few skeet just to keep in practice and 6 lbs is about as light as I want to go.Even then a few pheasant loads will make you take notice.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Does anyone want to offer an opinion/advice on how the Montefeltro and Franchi fit me?
When I shoulder the Montefeltro I can only see the bead (no rib is visible). When I shoulder the Franchi Instinct I am looking at the bead but a tiny bit of the rib is visible as well. I mounted each gun maybe 15-20 each in the store.

I was told seeing the rib as well as the bead would make the gun shoot high? Is this true?
I can't see that much of the rib on the Instinct but I can see some. should this be a deal breaker as far as this gun fitting me?

Thank you everyone for your recommendations so far!

Last edited by Centurion75; 02/08/15.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Affinity for around $800 and Shrapnel's Browning for $999-and maybe a little less if you ask-is a no brainier choice. Wouldn't be my first choice with the short barrels, but the price is fair and 3 years from now the Affinity will be worth $500 max while the Browning will still be worth close to what you paid for it.

You probably will eventually get tired of either one, so where does the smart money go?

Last edited by battue; 02/08/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Centurion75
Does anyone want to offer an opinion/advice on how the Montefeltro and Franchi fit me?
When I shoulder the Montefeltro I can only see the bead (no rib is visible). When I shoulder the Franchi Instinct I am looking at the bead but a tiny bit of the rib is visible as well. I mounted each gun maybe 15-20 each in the store.

I was told seeing the rib as well as the bead would make the gun shoot high? Is this true?
I can't see that much of the rib on the Instinct but I can see some. should this be a deal breaker as far as this gun fitting me?

Thank you everyone for your recommendations so far!

I had a monte that I sold because I had the opposite of what you said no matter what shims I tried. My affinity fits better and the plastic stocked gun does my wet & nasty duty.

One trick may be to get a laser sighting shot shell and try it out. Our trap shooting guys used that to help get their shims right. Look at what shims come with the affinity to see if it may correct the way you want it or see if the dealer will let you try the other shims sets before buying.

Schrapnels gun has potential - get all the details on it and research it first. There are lots of old brownings out there and I bought a new 725 to get the features I wanted because the old stuff didn't have them.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A pet upland gun is my side by side 20 ga Ugartechea.

It's light, fast and so handsome.

Shop for a light double. Gotta be a side by side to be authentic!

Here it is on the right. cool

Double triggers, 24.5" barrels at 5.75 pounds!

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Those side by sides are a killer! If you are wanting a new gun I would give the Beretta automatic line a look. I bought one several years ago based on a strong recommendation and have been very pleased. I now have two 390s that have been flawless and I shoot very well with them. The new version of the 390 is the A300, I believe. I agree with some of the other boys in that the Ithaca 37 and Winchester Model 12 are super upland shotguns. It is really hard to beat either one of those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.