Print Thread
Hop To
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Does anyone have advice on top notch, polarized perscription sunglasses for wading streams? Any help with style, manufacturer, color, etc. would be appreciated.

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Since ive had catarac surgery i no longer need prescription glasses.
Prior to that i had several pairs i was unhappy with. From the
frame standpoint more so than the lenses. Lenses falling out was the main issue. One was Costa del mar and the other from an optical shop under the Pearl vision logo. Ive since bought
several sets of non prescription variety at the Wallmart eye
center for about $75 each. I can tighten the lens screws on these
and i like them alot. As for color im not a stream fisherman.
But offshore or deepwater people tend to like blue shades whereas
shallow water flats guides seem to prefer brown. Maui jim seems
to be a brand with a large following here in FL also, but they are a bit pricey.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've owned several over the years, always insist on glass, and airman type frames. I do like them for sunny days and upstream nymphing. One sees a flash in the vicinity and simply lifts for a hook up. I don't know why, but that's about the only time I wear them.

With two of the three, the polarization axis was wacko and I had to do returns to get them right. Visually, one could look at his digital watch and the face would be entirely black with one eye and readable with the other. In other situations, glare was eliminated for one eye and not the other. Just made for some odd visual effects.

In both instances, technicians greeted me with blank stares when I explained the issue, but once I made it to the optometrists they made things right.

I went with gray just to keep colors true.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/08/15.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been using Smith Optics (formally Action Optics)for years through several prescription changes and I love them. They make both plastic and a glass sandwich lens. I really like the glass ones (they are heavier). I use the Lochsa frame but frames are a personnel thing, every bodies face is different. Can't find any better sunglasses. They have quite a variety of frame styles.Had a broken temple once and they replaced the whole frame. They do bifocals also. Try this link:

http://www.smithoptics.com/Root/Men%27s/Sunglasses/c/1100

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several pair of Costa Del Mar non prescription sunglasses. What pair I choose to wear depends on where I fish and the weather. These are the best sunglasses I have ever owned for fishing.

You will probably go with the Green Mirror for stream fishing. I would choose the 500G (glass) if you want the best lens. Be prepared to cough up some bucks as the non prescription ones I have cost me some money. They are worth it to me. Good luck.

Anyway they do make prescription sunglasses. You may be able to call them to get a quote. Click on link below.

https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sunglasses/prescription

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,254
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.