O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Hello all, new here but I,v been a trolling for years-
I have been loading a sav. mod 11 in 223 with hor 55-v-maxs,
I have had a few when seated an measured with my hornady
comparator thingy that were way off- .015-.o18 like the bullet was different- what the heck?I,m using plain rcbs dies- I really cant tell just by looking at the bullet- cruddy bullets??

Thanks, RC

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you weigh any of the bullets that were off?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pull them and weigh them.
Also, you should check your bullet seater stem and make darn sure the tip is not your contact point with the seater -- rather the collar AROUND the tip is supposed to press on the circumference of the ogive.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I haven't weighed any- I will-I can see the ring the seater stem leaves, its very faint- it s not often but I,m after a "bughole"

RC

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be looking at neck tension.
From redding

Inadequate or excessive neck tension can also cause bullet seating depth variations. If you're using a bushing style sizing die, make sure you've selected the correct diameter bushing to size the case necks. Our current recommendation, is to select a bushing tha t is .001" smaller than the neck diameter of your loaded cartridges. (See the bushingselection newsletter in the "Tech Line" section of our website for more information.) As cases are fired over and over, their necks become progressively harder. This can cause the necks to "spring-back" excessively when they are sized, which reduces the neck tension on the bullet. Either anneal the case necks after several firings, or discard the cases and start with new, soft ones.

Heavily compressed loads can create problems when seating bullets. Our Competition Seating Die is not a powder compression die. The excessive force required to seat a bullet on a compressed load can damage the die and may cause seating depth variations. Switching to a faster burning or ball powder may eliminate the need to excessively compress the powder charge.

Swifty
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Flat base 55 V's are old school.......

Try the 53 V's with a .290 BC

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And happy day to you, Swiffer!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
o,,, bummer- hard as some of this stuff is to get-I wound up with 250 of em,,,, I,ll try em-I have some 75 a-max en-route- but,,, my hornady manual don't list em--- there shootn pretty fair-I,m @ 24.7 w.tac--0- pressure signs-I really want to go a littler more- best group shot .660 seated right @ lands, @ max,,
what say ya,ll?

Rc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes

100% Public land DIY!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
well I weighed the lot I loaded tonight- all were very consistant,most balanced just under 55gr, missed a "signature required" delivery today,,,, dammit- it was my varget an a-max 75s an 1000 primers ,,, I,m sneaking up on it .3 gr. at a time-
to the range tomorrow- thanks all

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your Problem is that RCBS dies are just not very good. I find a 4 die Lee set (FL, Collet, Seat and Crimp produces superior ammo to any RCBS 2 die set.
As tested on the Hornady runout tool and on the range.

If you want to get very serious, a Redding set of competition bushing dies just can't be beat.

That Savage will shoot bugholes, if you feed it top quality ammo.

Try 53 gr Sierra bench Rest HPs. Accurate and deadly on small varmints.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by obamasucks
I have had a few when seated an measured with my hornady comparator thingy that were way off- .015-.o18 like the bullet was different...

I have had the same thing happen to me with RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lee and Lyman dies. I have even had some like yours. I am some what annal and measure every bullet. What I do is a PITA but satisfies my need for regularity (no pun intended) is to seat every bullet a little short of intended OAL (Hornady comparator). Maybe 0.005" or so and then start sneaking up on the OAL a 0.001 - 0.002 at a time. As a loaded case reaches target OAL I put it in the box. If it is short I segregate according to length and keep seating.

I think that sometimes the bullet does not start out straight in the seating die and may catch momentarily on the edge of the seating stem which can drive them deeper. If the seater is one of the slider type such as Lee or Hornady, the slider may hang and produce a deeper seated bullet. I will clean and lightly lubricate these sliders. Good luck on your loading.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes old school just works. whistle

Swifty
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks ya,ll I loaded up another batch an had two more do it again- I could fix em cause they were longer- I got a whole "range box " loaded- just cant get there this week yet-- annnnddd my 75 a/maxs came- dang there long bullets,,,

heres to "bugholes"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Are you measuring to the tip or ogive of the bullet?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
to the ogive 10-gauge- since I have all these measuring "thingys"
I find all sorts of interesting things- leading to even more stuff I "need"

RC

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,690 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,798
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.