Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going to get my 11 year old daughter a lab pup pretty soon. Mostly she just wants a dog but I thought it would be nice if we had one that could be trained to retrieve some doves and possibly do some duck hunting with.

Can you guys suggest some good books on training a retriever and just general obedience training for someone who is clueless? I would like to make this a project my daughter and I can do together.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mike Lardy's Vol I.
Since you are new to this I would seek out a club and someone who you can learn the basics from. Get a Lab from FIELD lines, not from Show/Bench lines, with health certs-hips, eyes EIC, and CNM. If you need some links to finding info on clubs or pups PM me.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Gun dog training, spaniels and retrievers by Kenneth Roebuck. It is over 30 years old but is a fantastic guide for the first time trainer.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.entryexpress.net/LoggedIn/events.aspx?tab=true&eventType=2

Here is the link for AKC Hunt Tests in AL. Upper RH corner do a search for AL. and AKC Hunt Tests. Click on the event and go to the "Premium" section to find contact info for each club. I would strongly suggest before you buy a dog go to one of these events watch and talk to folks.

Last edited by LostHighway; 02/09/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Game Dog, Richard Wolters

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks guys!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Game Dog, Richard Wolters

That book is very out dated. Buy Evan Graham's Smartwork, Mike Lardy's Total Retriever Training Vol I-III, or even Bill Hillman's material. They all have modern CC, FF and structured programs with flow charts among other things. All of which Game Dog, and Water Dog are void of.

Last edited by LostHighway; 02/09/15.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have dogs changed to the point you need "flow charts" ?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Have dogs changed to the point you need "flow charts" ?

Do you know what a flow chart is in retriever training?
The dogs have gotten better through breeding and what they capable of. And the training has greatly evolved and improved. Day and night difference today compared to 40 years ago. Rex Carr had a lot to do with it. Comparing Wolters and James Lamb Free training to today is like comparing 40 year old computers to today's. What dogs are taught today in Hunt Tests has surpassed what they did in Field trials 40 years ago.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have never used a flow chart for training a dog; but know intimately what a flow chart is and use them daily in my occupation for employee training and technology project execution. I am sure that the book you recommend is indeed effective; depending on the goal of the dog owner.
The O.P. stated he wanted "a dog but I thought it would be nice if we had one that could be trained to retrieve some doves and possibly do some duck hunting with." and " some good books on training a retriever and just general obedience training for someone who is clueless" . IMHO;Training a dog for Hunt Tests would be taking it to another level; if he is interested and willing to make that commitment. I have gone to observe these and the top dogs are amazing.
I am pursuing a similar path to the O.P.myself having just acquired a Field Bred English Cocker. My goal is a few dove shoots, a few small water duck pond hunts and have an enjoyable and obedient companion. I will certainly take a look at your book recommendation to see if it can be helpful.
Thanks

Last edited by Cruiser1; 02/10/15.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by oznog
Gun dog training, spaniels and retrievers by Kenneth Roebuck. It is over 30 years old but is a fantastic guide for the first time trainer.

Yep another vote for Roebuck. The video is even better than the book.

BORN to HUNT
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Are you referring to the Gun Dog series DVD "Training Retreivers" by Roebuck? I ordered his book: Gun-Dog Training: Spaniels and Retrievers
Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are you referring to the Gun Dog series DVD "Training Retreivers" by Roebuck? I ordered his book: Gun-Dog Training: Spaniels and Retrievers
Thanks

Exactly My X had never trained a gundog before, I gave her a pup and she wanted to train it herself. Well you know how it goes when you try to show your wife/girlfriend how to do something, usually a disaster. I gave her the Video by Roebuck and away she went. I wont say here dog would ever win a trial but it is a great gundog to shoot over, I swear by the Gundog video series.

BORN to HUNT
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Picked it up off EBAY
thanks

Last edited by Cruiser1; 02/11/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,488
Posts18,452,058
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.